My first longish ride. =)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first longish ride. =)

So this past Saturday I set off on a 200 mile ride with friends. Total of 6 bikes. A 1982 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Honda Rebel, 1982 Suzuki gs550, 2008 Yamaha fz6, and a 2007 Honda Shadow. My $500 XS1100 ran perfect except for a slightly lose plug wire that would sometimes cut out at idle. Reach down and give it a wiggle and it was fine. There were a couple newer riders. Great trip. I was proud of my ratty bike. I don't consider it ratty but its not pretty...yet. Very slow pace. We had a green rookie and one rider on the Suzuki whose bike is very tired. Great weather, great roads, great ride. That 200 miles at our slow pace resulted in 6 to 7 hours of saddle time. Around 30 or so mpg on my bike. All was well until about 30 miles left to go. One of our riders, on the Rebel hit gravel on a slow corner and went down. Slid into traffic. A pickup ran over the front rim while she was still sliding with her bike. Than she slid into a car that just managed to stop in time. She is ok. Rash on her arms (no jacket) also 2I of her finger tips (fingerless gloves) and rash and brushing on right knee. She had a helmet on. We all did. Bike is totaled. She was standing and moving just minutes after. We just thank God that she is ok. She was riding very well. One of the best in the group. Not a rider error just bad luck with the gravel. Anyway I just actually wanted to brag on my fantastic bike. I was 2proud up the whole way with my wife. The yamie pulls good uphill with 2the people. I love it! Here are a couple pics. Didn't take many.

I was wearing mesh jacket full face helmet and my gauntlet gloves. After seeing her the injuries most would have been avoided without jacket and full gloves. Just glad she is ok. A little sore but nothing broken. Could have been worse. I can't wait to ride another longish trip. I LOVE MY YAMIE!
    Remember, eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

1980 XS1100 Midnight Special
    2007 Triumph Daytona 675

Way to go, Indy!

Is 250 girl going to try salvage her bike and ride again or just get another bike and some better gear?
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Not sure weather they will rebuild bike. Rim, hub and forks absolutely destroyed. Frame down tube is slightly tweeked. She had crash bars. If it wasn't for the stupid truck running it over we could have ridden the bike home. She is talking about getting back on again soon but I don't know what she is thinking on future gear. I will recommend a mesh jacket.

2007 Triumph Daytona 675

Comment

Sorry to hear about your friend! Glad she's ok though.

Looks like you need another screw for your tank badge though! Don't let that thing run away!
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Both sides have broken bolts thanks to PO. I think this winter I will fill it in and (Assuming I can pull it off myself) repaint tank with gold Yamaha tuning fork logo. We will see.

2007 Triumph Daytona 675

Comment

Working...
          X