Morning Test Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning Test Ride

I met BA80 (Greg) this morning for a short test ride. I've got my "79 XS on the road and was wondering about a stumble up to 3K rpm. We had a good breakfast at "Ollie's" and then swapped bikes so I could get some feedback from an owner with XS experience. He tore into the throttle leaving and I thought dang that thing runs pretty dang good! I was on his '80 (I think) following and testing out the 750 final drive. I'm really considering the fd swap now. Greg thought I had mine running pretty good and I noticed a similar feel on his bike. His is super comfortable with a thick pad seat and stock suspension, plus a windshield. It was kind of comical at the restaurant, a passerby stopped and admired his bike with a little XS knowledge and didn't recognize mine as an XS! It has a solo seat, set of 40mm ammo cans for saddle "bags", a late sportster rear fender, dirt bike bars, etc...
    To end this novel, thanks Greg for the time and input! We'll have to meet up again with some other folks and put in some more miles.
    US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
    1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
    1985 Super Glide
    2012 Super Glide

Right on, Chopper, so did you and Greg sort out the stumble or what?

The same misidentification thing that happened to you two also happened to Roo and me when we were out riding. Roo had his '78 bobber and I had my '80G with fairing and bags but no one could tell they were basically the same bike unless one of us pointed it out to them.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

We pretty much decided it wasn't an issue, just the way the bike gets into the powerband at 3K or so. It doesn't pop or sputter, just makes more power after 3K.
      US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
      1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
      1985 Super Glide
      2012 Super Glide

Comment

Working...
      X