Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Rally 2011

First of all, more photos at http://www.appleattic.net/toys/colorally.html

A big thank-you from me to all who attended, particularly the crew who braved the Arizona desert to make it from California.

Another thank-you to John for his work on the T-shirts. Great job!

Friday evening several XSives and friends met at the Bar-D Chuckwagon, a western-style dinner theater featuring a meal and live music. John had out T-shirts, the meal was good, and the Wranglers mixed up the show with classic Western tunes such as El Paso and Cool Water, some novelty songs (Old McDonald had a Misfit Farm, Hole In The Bottom of the Sea) and ended with a medley of patriotic music.

Saturday morning found the group gathering at the United Campground. John's bike refused to start, so the gurus took over and determined John had a bad master fuse holder in the main wiring. Part of the group took off to ride, the others stayed with John until parts could be found and repairs accomplished. The entire group re-formed at the park in the town of Dolores, then headed north.

The Dolores River ran along our route, and the valley proved to be a pleasant run with wide curves, scenic valley, and less traffic than anticipated for a holiday weekend. After a stop in Rico, the first scenic stop was Lizard Head Pass.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

page 2

After another scenic stop at Lizard Head Lake, we continued north and into the town of Telluride. South of town is a box canyon with Bridal Veil Falls and Horse Thief Falls. Photo stop!

From Telluride we traveled over the Dallas Divide into the town of Ridgeway, where we stopped for an early dinner. Food and company - 13 bikes total - was excellent. After finishing and getting fuel, we departed for Ouray and Red Mountain Pass.

Here is a photo of Hwy 550, Red Mountain Pass, near Ouray:

We made several photo stops along this route. Here is a photo of the group riding into the Red Mountain Mining District:

(Photo by Diver Ray)

After a stop in Silverton, the final stop of the way was at the top of Molas Pass, elevation about 10,900 feet.

Total mileage was just around 250. Weather was excellent. No one broke down, no one got lost. Food and company were excellent, and there was plenty of fuel available along the way.

I hope everyone enjoyed this trip, and perhaps we will sponsor another Colorado Rally in the future. (Previous one was in 2001.)

For a slide show featuring these and many more photos from this loop, visit my page at http://www.appleattic.net/toys/colorally.html
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Great pics Jerry and Ray. Wish I could have made it. Maybe next year.

I miss the Mountains.

John, You had to work on that thing after it got a leisurely ride over there on a trailer. What's gonna happen if you really have to RIDE it?
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I know...right??

I have not had starting problems with that bike and of course THE MORNING OF THE RIDE it wouldn't start!

Turned out the main fuse (30A) holder was not holding tight and lowered the battery voltage below the minimum 10.5 volts the TCI needed. Ray helped me wire in a new marine grade single fuse holder and we were on the road...

I have already decided going thru electrical completely is the next project.

I think I am gonna have to get a touring bagger for long road trips - good excuse to get another XS.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Thanks

Great sdlide show Jerry.

I hope you do it again. Sure looks like a wonderful rally worthy of repeat. Perhaps a little later afer the holiday weekend?

Dreaming again.

Btrent in GA
          It is a great big beautiful world out there
          Brent in GA
          Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

No dreaming!..............Be more than happy to do this again............anytime one or more show up, and on a moments notice too!
            Last edited by motoman; 09-23-2011, 07:19 PM. Reason: spell correction
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

You know I finally got a good look at those Durango rally shirts and what kind of a bike is on there it looks like 80 Honda to me?
              91 kwaka kz1000p
              Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

C'mon, don't blow our cover Garth............
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                X