Mini Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Rally

Last Sunday I participated in my first 'mini' rally. It seemed like it would be fun and interesting (did you know that the Batcave, from the TV series, really exists?). The objective was to visit as many points-weighted sites, riding a minimum number of miles (150), in a fixed amount of time (0900 start, 1445 finish). I did have fun, riding the route of my choosing, not accumulating sufficient cushion time to both eat and refuel (thankfully, the rally ended at a diner). Never having done this before, I obviously didn't use sufficient acumen to plan my route. I was a qualified finisher, but ended up sixteenth of seventeen finishers, a less than sterling performance. I still haven't been able to figure out how the top finishers managed to accumulate over 3000 points while I could barely eke out the points that I did accumulate (I've forgotten the total, it's too embarrassing to remember). I did ride 180 miles, fulfilling that portion of the requirements.

One of the leader bikes was a BMW K series with a spare fuel tank, a one gallon insulated hydration reservoir (and for all I know, the guy rode with a catheter installed and a gray water tank mounted somewhere), and, of course, a gps.

It was a gorgeous day to ride, a little brisk in the morning and on the way home (shoulda worn chaps), but, all in all, a fun way to spend a day riding. Plus it gave me a list of places to visit of which I was unaware (The Bat Cave!)

Ralph

Sounds like you had fun, Reffi!

The 3000 point people only ride on two wheels for the brief amount of time required to go from from a high-speed wheelie to a stoppie.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

sounds like fun may will come up with something for my area
      1982 xj1100j

Comment

Mini-Rally

I may still have some of the ride sheets, rules etc. if it is something that you are truly interested in doing. Lots of organization on the adminstration end. I'm assuming that they had some kind of spread sheet for inputing the data. At the end of the elapsed time, they were able to announce the top finishers and print completion certificates for all qualified finishers.

Ralph

Comment

Another Rally idea

Sounds like fun. An event that I would like to put on is a “Map Run.” Everyone is given a map for ½ of the route which is highlighted on the map. The challenge is to average set speeds over certain sections of the course, which of course correspond to the speed limit for any given section.. The rider starts out with, say, 1000 points. There are two “surprise check points”, one on the first leg and one on the second leg, the lunch stop, and the final ending check point. Each rider is debited 10 points for every minute early, and 5 points for every minute late at the check points.
          One can ride just to follow the map, or ride for points. Yea it takes some planning and Excel work but it “ain’t rocket science.”
          I went on one when I was a teenager and it was a hoot! I haven’t been on one since but I would sure like to!
          Special Ed
          Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
          I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Working...
          X