It's almost Spring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's almost Spring...

After Lee's accident where he was killed last year, I called to get the tree removed that he had hit. Lee wasn't the first person that had hit that tree, but I hoped he was the last. I told the guys that the first decent Saturday I could get, I'd ride over to Talihina, OK, to see if they had cut it down. You'll see from the pics on the day of the accident that it really was in a bad area coming out of a curve.

And here's what I saw when I rode up there yesterday.

Friday morning, I woke up to rain and then heavy snow. This day, Saturday, was a forcast for nearly 60 degrees, so I decided to go check on this tree, then take a run up the mountain, take some pics, and rub it in to some of you northern folk who are still snowed in.. lol. Total for the day was @ 350 miles.

Once up on the mountain, the temps dropped considerably, but it was still a beautiful day. There were lots of wet patches, some snow in some spots, and spots of sand to watch for, but overall, it was a great start to hopefully lots of riding this year. I went maybe 50 miles total up on the mountains of the Talimena Trail, and only saw one pickup and one other bike the whole time. It's nice having the road to yourself.

Anyway.. just some pics of the ride and something for you guys to look forward to with spring on the way. It will be here soon.

Tod

Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Nice scenery Tod.
    It still looks cold.
    I rode over to Coeur'de lene, Idaho yesterday.Ok,ok, so it was only 100 miles round trip.It was about 45 degrees out and sunny though.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Yeah, up on the mountain it was a bit still, but even there the snow was melting well. Down at regular elevation here in OK, (Flat and boring) it was pretty nice out.

LOL.. Back in high school, we had friends in Spokane and would run over there, then make a run over to Coeur d'Alene to get beer since their drinking age was only 19 versus our 21 in Washington.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100

Comment

I'm glad you did that, Tod. Thanks.

Real glad to see the old man kept his word & that tree won't be the blame for anyone else's misfortune again.

Hope to get to ride again real soon w/ ya somewhere. Old girl's runnin' great.

Took an impromtu day ride Sat. w/ Rod Brakhage, Cody, & one of Rod's buddies (Dwayne) that had a 'Busa. I rode up to Hallet & met up w/ them, then we came back this way, around Skiatook Lake, up hwy 11, then 123 past Woolaroc, & on into Bartlesville. Had lunch there, then headed back up 75 to Ramona, cut back west 10 miles to hwy 11, through Avant, Javine Hill road to Lombard, then back in to Skiatook. Rode back part of the way w/ them to Hominy, then turned around & came home. Put on about 250 miles in all that day.

It was strange... for once, I led, knew exactly where I was going... planned it all... and it all worked out pretty smooth! Real nice! Usually, I don't have a clue where we're going, just a general idea, and I'm just along for the ride...

Weather was great, (started out cold, 30 degrees, but warmed up to the mid 50's w/ lots of sun, and it was good to get to ride w/ Rod again. First time since last June's Colorado trip.

Some time when ya got the time and can, come & go with me, and we'll make that run... miss gettin' to ride w/ ya! Let me know.

Thanks again, Tod for checking & reporting on that. Glad to see that tree's just a stump & a bad memory.
        Bob
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Tod,

Thanks for the little rub to us northern guys. It caused me to get off of my dead posterior and dig my way out to the Dragon Kennel to see how the girls had done over the winter. I mean really, it was already up to the mid 20's here in Wisconsin and the sun had already melted some of the snow and you could see where most of the roads were supposed to be.
          Turned the key on the Fire Dragon and pulled the choke, hit the button and she was running! No spring argument, no backtalk, just running,, sitting there snarling softly. I took that as a good omen and promptly pushed, pulled, dragged and cajoled her down the absolute treacherous trail I got in mistake for a driveway. The roads here abouts look about what you were showing there, just need some caution. Was having so much fun I didn't even notice that it was cold out until the sun started down. By that time I had just about a hundred miles under my belt and it was time to head home. What a blast, thanks again for that little dig, ya done me a real favor there!!!!
          The Old Tamer
          1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Tamer View Post
            Tod,

Thanks for the little rub to us northern guys. It caused me to get off of my dead posterior and dig my way out to the Dragon Kennel to see how the girls had done over the winter. I mean really, it was already up to the mid 20's here in Wisconsin and the sun had already melted some of the snow and you could see where most of the roads were supposed to be.
            Turned the key on the Fire Dragon and pulled the choke, hit the button and she was running! No spring argument, no backtalk, just running,, sitting there snarling softly. I took that as a good omen and promptly pushed, pulled, dragged and cajoled her down the absolute treacherous trail I got in mistake for a driveway. The roads here abouts look about what you were showing there, just need some caution. Was having so much fun I didn't even notice that it was cold out until the sun started down. By that time I had just about a hundred miles under my belt and it was time to head home. What a blast, thanks again for that little dig, ya done me a real favor there!!!!
            Yeah DT,
            I saw some knothead out on the road yesterday all dressed up like Michelin Man. As sure a sign of spring as robins!

Time to rearrange the garage and kick the wifes car out again. I still have a foot of snow in the yard, and about 4 inches of ice in my alley/driveway.
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

Wasn't me, I didn't quite make it down by you. Will be in a few weeks or so though. Of course you never know, it is supposed to get into the mid fortys today and that means you never will know where I will show up, for sure I will be out somewhere on her.
              The Old Tamer
              1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

I won't ride unless it's atleast 50, but I'm a desert rat. I could never figure out why they call this the Evergreen state when half of it is brown.
                "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Go west of the wall of mountains. You'll figure it out..

Tod

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

Just caught this thread... Good on ya Tod for going back that way.Good also to see the tree in question is no longer standing...also good for your healing processes...Spring the rebirth and resurgence of life...Thanks for sharing...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                    X