First ride report- ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ride report- ever.

(This is copied and pasted directly from a Facebook/Myspace blog I keep to amuse myself. I live in Adrian, MI, which is just north of Ohio and about 45-50 miles west of Lake Erie- the destination for my first real road trip.)

A big reason I bought a motorcycle in the first place was really to give me an excuse to go somewhere, without the waste of gasoline brought on by bringing a truck. I've always wanted to travel, even for no reason other that to simply travel, but before I bought my bike, it was a bit- difficult. Okay, so difficult isn't the right word. More like..... awkward.

Well, no more.

I had the day off work today, so I figured, "Why the hell not- let's go somewhere". That somewhere turned out to be someplace I'd been before (in my truck), plus a little extra. Why not see if we could hit Lake Erie?

I already knew the way to Erie Mason (having been there once or twice), and I figured how difficult would it be to find the lake? Just head east until the engine dies and I start to drown. Or maybe stop just before.

I set out to accomplish another first- find the other end of Carleton Road (the road I live on). This turned out to be disappointingly anti-climactic. Like any time you lose your virginity, it was over before I knew it. Ah, well. The longer journey was still ahead of me. Off to 223, and my journey... eastward.

My first time on a major highway (okay, mediocre highway) was interesting. The speed and traffic weren't bad. The 300 mph wind out of the south? That was a different story. I think I had my bike at a permanent 45 degree angle all the way to Luna Pier, which was my eventual destination.

Once 223 petered out into the various back roads around Whiteford, Erie, and Luna Pier, the ride became even MORE fun. Potholes, lumps, bumps, you name it. When I rode my motorcycle for the first time, I thought the suspension was soft as hell. After riding down a few of those roads, I had changed my mind.

Once I made it through Erie, I found myself in uncharted territory- for all of about five minutes. After that, the road pretty much ended, and I found myself- here.

Yeah, so it's not that exciting of a place. There's a few reasons it's pretty cool to me, though. First off, I love the Great Lakes. There's something about seeing an uninterrupted horizon that's humbling. Second, way back when, when I was but a wee lad, my Great Grandma used to live in Luna Pier. Sometimes, when she got particularly boring, my dad would take my brothers and I to this very pier. This chance to walk down memory lane was something kinda cool.

Funny. It seemed so much bigger back then.

(Just to prove I was ACTUALLY there)

Of course, I wouldn't have went anywhere without this guy (who continues to run like a champ, despite being almost 30 years old and was "fixed" by a complete nincompoop- me).

The ride back was much the same as the ride there, except for a few more learning lessons.

- Riding west is a lot windier than riding east.
    - My bike has enough acceleration in ANY gear to fling me off the back, should is so choose.
    - I need to get my throttle lock fixed, so I'm actually able to flex my right hand occasionally.
    - I'm not sure if I'm EVER going on the Freeway without a fairing. 60/65 mph is bad enough.
    - I'm terrible at reversing into a parking spot.
    - Definitely need to work on getting my back stronger should I want to do some longer rides (and I do, eventually).

When I got home (after stopping for Wendy's), another surprise was waiting for me. A new key chain I had ordered special for my bike. I can't wait to get on the road with it!

Yeah, I'm a bit of an aviation enthusiast as well.

(Of course, immediately after this my alternator, or whatever passes for one on these bikes, decided to take a crap on me, so the battery no longer charges. Found THAT out the hard way today, when it decided not to start halfway through a trip. Finished the trip by towing it back home on a trailer. Guess I got plans for the rest of this week!)
    Last edited by Lucien Harpress; 08-05-2009, 08:45 PM.
    Currently XS-less.

Alright, Lucien! That was a good ride report, much less a first, and now thanks to you I've seen Lake Erie! It's to bad about the second half of the ride but at least you know how to fix it. Ride on!

Regards,

Scott
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Great report and pics!

Originally posted by Lucien Harpress View Post
      Just head east until the engine dies and I start to drown. Or maybe stop just before.
      Always a good plan.. although that first pic makes it look like you opted to keep going...
      lol

Like any time you lose your virginity,
      You mean you can do this more than once?
      (sorry... couldn't resist)

I think I had my bike at a permanent 45 degree angle
      Angles... not just for twisties anymore...

A great ride report and very well written!

Hope to read more from you soon... and hopefully, you'll get the charging problem taken care of easily...
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. At this point, I definitely consider myself a better writer than a motorcyclist. At the very least I've had more practice writing! I also try to make things a bit humorous, in a slightly obtuse, tongue-in-cheek sort of way.

I'm really hoping to have more of these, hopefully going farther as I dial the bike in and eliminate most (if not all) of the nagging issues. Who knows- I might try for Lake Michigan next!
        Currently XS-less.

Comment

Thanks for the "ride-along". If there's anything that makes XS ownership worth all the effort, it's the rides. After all, if the bike doesn't run it's just a very large lawn ornament.

I spend far too much of my time on the more technical/repair parts of the website here. Viewing your ride report was a great reality check for me and I'll be visiting this part of the site more often.

Keep showing us why we own these XS's: so very many places to go and things to see... on an XS of course!

Comment

Hey, Lucien...
            That's cool you got the bike on the road. Nice trip.
            I was pulling for ya that you'd make it home w/o trouble... sorry to hear it. BTDT!!! (More than once...)

See, I told you it was sounding like the bike was almost there in that other thread... any time you're able to get it out on the road far enough to take cool pics (especially of the Great Lakes, which I've been blessed to personally see once) it's a good feeling of accomplishment!

Keep hangin' tough, and postin' those trip pics!
            Ride safe.
            Bob
            Ohhh.... and I like your key tag... that's cool!
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

One other thing...

A friend of mine was a long way from home on a road trip on an 11, charging system went South... couldn't find a MC battery (not to mention how expensive they were) but he was able to buy a large car battery for $35...
              bungeed it to the back rack, added some longer wires, and rode it on in. The add'l size and extra plates (reserve hours) in the car battery enabled it to run a lot longer.
              At night, when he made a motel, he had brought along a trickle charger, and would charge them as he slept.

What's the old saying...
              Poor people got poor ways??

Maybe, but it worked!

One thing about owning a 30 Y.O. bike... ya gotta learn how to ADAPT! LOL
              Be cool, Lucien! Take care.
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Very nice report and cool pictures. Glad your alternator held up for that trip. Hopefully the one it died on was a shorter trip.

Been to lake Earie a few times, do NOT go there around July 4th time span especially riding unless you love bugs in everything you own. The "May" flies are HORRIBLE around then. Took a family vacation there was supposed to be four days, we left after one. The hotel we were in was literally sweeping the walls and doors off twice daily of all the bugs and every parking lot was blanketed with them. We walked a couple blocks to dinner and had over twenty of them land on each of us.

Of course that was the same trip I lost my virginity, again, well...my seasickness virginity that is. I learned that being able to go on an ocean going vessel and goin out on a Great Lake are two different things. According to the captain of the boat, everyboat hits a different rythum on the same water and different peoples bodies respond differently to each rythum.

Anyway, never been to Luna Pier though, have been to lake Michigan, a friend use to live in Holland MI. Really neat place.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

You're really not missing anything by not getting to Luna Pier. The beach and pier in the shots is pretty much their entire version of a lakeside recreation area, and the town itself probably consists of three or four city blocks.

Growing up in Michigan, I've been on at least four of the five Great Lakes, the only exception being Lake Ontario. Out of all of them, my favorite has to be Lake Michigan. My family has taken several trips to Muskegon, MI, which is about halfway up the west side of the state, right on the lake. Not only are the sand dunes up there impressive (though not as large as the Sleeping Bear dunes farther north), the position of the lake allows for AMAZING sunsets.

I've been spoiled, I guess. I can't stand to swim in the ocean- too salty for me.

As for my alternator problem- HOPEFULLY it's more of a connection problem than a crapped-out alternator problem. I took a voltage gauge to it last night. It started out (off) at around 11.5 volts, and when I started it the voltage climbed to about 11.65 or so. It IS charging- not nearly enough. I need to tear into the bike today to check a few of the alternator connections, so I really hope that solves the problem.

It might also explain my continuing low-speed issues. I might not be getting enough spark until the engine revs high enough to provide me with one. Ah, well. I'll do a bit of work and see what happens.
                  Currently XS-less.

Comment

Lake Ontario

Hi Lucien,
                    Lots of XSives on the shores of Lake Ontario both North & South. Give us a shout if you want to "bag" another lake. Even have an Xsive on Manitoulin Island the largest fresh water island in the world. Our salt is all on the roads in winter the water is real nice if you like cold You will need a passport to get back to USA though
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                    X