Flat Tire +Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Tire +Pics

I was on my way to work this past Friday, about a 35 mile drive one way, and I just made a pass about 30 miles in and was slowing to cruising speed when KABOOM. Sounded like a shotgun went off under my arse. I thought I lost a cylinder for a spit second untill I realized it was my rear tire! I looked down and was goin about 65~70. Its a good thing I read the MSC book that my Mom brought home with her cuz, it paid for itself that day! I shifted my weight to the front, pulled the clutch and used the front breaks to slow myself to the edge of the road. I got off the bike (hands shaking) put the bike on the center stand and called into work, got the day off and called for some help to get it back home. Here's a pic of the rear tire.

Im thankful it happened when/where it did! About 15 miles ago I was on some "back country" roads that would not have been so forgiving (uneven surface and no shoulder), not to mention the pass I just made. Well, I spent all day tracking down a tire to have mounted and balaced... Went and had some yummy pizza and a cold microbrew in Ithaca at The Scale House, near the dealer.

Test drove this little gem while I was at the dealer. 1999 ATK 605. Nice bike, deff not that much fun on road though, my only complaint was not being able to feel my feet after 5 miles!

I made a day of it for sure, figured I was lucky and might better enjoy the rest of the day. Had to stop work once to let rain fall for most of an hour around 5-ish, then finished up with plenty of time to ride. I had almost everything back together when I thought I should pay tributes to the tire gods upstairs. So with my Jardine baffle off, I started'er up and putt down the road a little, got'er warmed up, made sure everything seemed straight, turned around and stopped in front of my bud's house. Now, dont tell me you've never wanted to hear what your bike sounds like with no baffle, who doesnt right? And what better sound than to do a little burn out to clean up that new tire. Soooo... needless to say, I like the sound she makes!

The neighbors might not of but, couldnt have been any worse than one of those Harleys screaming by. Well, I was just glad that I had it all back together, didnt get hurt in the process, and Im able to share this with everyone. I ended up getting a Shinko 712 and riding the night away. On one hand, Im mad at myself for not getting a safe tire sooner, but on the other, happy that I have that experience and didnt get hurt doing it. Happy trails everyone.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

aHHH

The badger strikes again!!!!

Fear the Badger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
    1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
    1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

Hmmmm...

Looks like something that should have been caught when you were maybe..I don't know... through the SECOND set of threads on the tire??

You would have seen there was air in the tire.. ya know.. 'cause you would have been able to SEE the air in the tire.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

So you get a new tire and one of the first things you do is a burnout. Yeah, I wonder how the other tire got shredded?

Comment

Trbig, there were no signs of threads showing when I took off that morning, I wish there was so all of this woulda been avoided! I bet some of the rocks I ran over didnt help the situation either.

Randy , I swear I didnt do any burnouts with that old tire ever, just drove the heck out of it. I would of rather finished it off doing a burn out than trying to get to work! What can I say, it was my first burnout, I thought it was appropriate given the circumstance (tell that to the police). haha All in good fun, didnt burn it for long just enough to heat it up a lil.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I just hope you didn't burn out like that with a Dunlop 404. It'd be ready for replacement after that..

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I got the Shinko 712 via your advice. No complaints yet, anything is better than that worn out Continental tire I had! Can't wait to feel a new one on the front too. I'll be ready to do stoppies once I get SS lines. hahah
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                I'll be ready to do stoppies once I get SS lines. hahah
                Id love to see a picture of that!!!!

Comment

I think the xs will slide the front before you ever get a stoppie.

Going from little tread to wearing through could happen, especially if its a 404. I don't understand why MC tires wear so much faster during the last part of the tread, but they sure seem to.

At least you didn't end up with a 4 year old white wall to ride 500 miles home on....
                  Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Dude, that was one SWEET! whitewall though! Ha Ha!
                    '81 Venturer U.S. Navy Air Commemorative
                    '79 Special

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                      Dude, that was one SWEET! whitewall though! Ha Ha!
                      I'm surprised you didn't snag that puppy when you were there, Russ... It was already mounted and ready to go... You too, could have one harleytastic tire on your bike...

Geez WMarshy! Bet that woke you up a bit...
                      Glad you were able to make it out with a moderately positive experience (no crashy)
                      81 SH Something Special
                      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                      80 LG Black Magic
                      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                      For those on FB

Comment

Hey tire tech gurus, would the tire begin to bulge out where it was getting thin? I mean, could you get down close to the threads, and then quickly go through them as that part of the tire ballooned out a little? That looks like WAY too much wear to be riding on, if not...
                        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Working...
                        X