It was a dark and stormy night.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was a dark and stormy night.

Friday, July 24, 2009, Ottawa, Ont. Canada - It was a dark and stormy night, something like 2 inches of rain has already fallen, ooh wait, but tomorrow promises cloudy with only a little rain.

I have some service calls to make in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. I have been working too hard and last weekend's XS North 2009 let me know I wanted to ride.

The weather doesn't look cooperative, but no matter, I am packed and the bike has been tuned and checked. I have a rain suit.

I usually take grand kids out on Sunday mornings for breakfast, but a quick call lets me take them out on Saturday morning a little earlier instead.

Saturday - I am back home at 12:30, the bike is loaded and I am ready. No sign of rain and it's hot, too hot.

A few pictures in front of the house and I'm off at 1:35, trip odometers set to 000.0

Only ½ tank of gas and I plan to fill up before Montreal to avoid stopping in Montreal and attracting the attention of the QPP who are always looking for Ontario plates.

Except on few rough section of the road, the XS11 prefers 120km / hour (75 mph). Gas mileage is not as good as at 100-kph, buts it's more fun.

Three more stops for gas, one for supper and gas.

It held off raining, but I had been driving through clouds for the last hour, visibility was poor and it was just starting to be dark. It's now 9:10 EST or 10:10 and MT when I find the Ritz Motel and Aquatic Park Motel, just past the New Brunswick provincial border.

The "Ritz" .... it's not, but it was inexpensive and clean.

Sunday - Up at 8:15 and on the road at 9:00. Only 470km to Moncton, so plan to take the scenic route along the river from Fredericton to Moncton. I have a service call on Monday, north of Moncton in Miramichi.

I had just pasted Edmundston on the Trans-Canada, in the passing lane, when there comes, a load clatter and bang from the front of the bike and I see in the mirror, a strip of road rubber bouncing behind me. The bike feels ok and I can't feel any difference in handling. Adrenalin levels drop.

Best to stop at the next exit and check. Exit 58 - St. Leonard, It's a Timmy's and breakfast would be good.

A quick walk around and closer inspection of the front wheels reveals nothing.

Bagel and coffee hit the spot and on we go.

Leaving the parking lot, the centre stand kisses the ground, oh ooh.

I dismount for a closer look. The back tire is almost flat. The bouncing rubber had teeth.

The tail light lens and license plate show damage and the chrome mount for the saddle bags has black rubber wrapped on it.

CAA gets the call and 45 minutes later it's fixed. I was prepared to patch it myself, but I did pay for the CAA membership. Nice guy from "Flat Fixers" rides a Honda Trike. Its probably 30 years since I repaired a puncture, so learned a little watching him and discovered my patch kit should have a reamer as well as the threading tool.

Back on the road at 11:15.

The newer Trans Canada is a fast divided highway, but it bypasses most of the scenic parts of New Brunswick. Before the new highway you had to follow the river and slow down and see stuff. That's what I wanted to do.

I take the first Fredericton exit and find the 105 River Road, to see stuff.

Ok, what do I see. It's a Harley, It's at the side of the road, the rider is sitting on the guard rail.

Got to be a good xsive and pull over an check what's wrong.

He's a local and embarrassed, seems he left the petcock in the reserve position. No Gas.

I am the first to stop in over an hour.

We don't have anything to syphon a drop into from the XS11, so its off to find a gas station. The signs say Fredericton 4km, it's not far.

Petro Canada offers a gas can and doesn't even ask for a deposit, $5.00 and its nearly full.

That exit is hard to get to. Had to back track west on the Trans Canada for 6km in order to U-turn and approach the exit.

He was still there, transferred the gas and he followed me to the gas station.

Got good directions from him to the 105.

The 105 is the way to go. It used to be a bottle neck with lots of truck traffic. But I only saw 2 or 3 cars and half a dozen motorcycles until I got back on the Trans Canada.

The river view was great.

Arrived in Moncton at 4:30, Got a new bike with 00,000.00 km, Rolled over from 99,999.9. pulled over to take a picture on Beaverbrook St. in Moncton.

I am now checked into the Super 8 in Diepe.

Tomorrow off to Miramichi, 60 minutes of work and then on to Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia through Amherst on the Sun Rise Trail Highway 6.

Hi Ted Glad to hear you are having so much fun going to work. The road snake could have been a disaster so glad you survived that.
    Congrats on geting all the way back to ZERO too
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
    X