Bronze Butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronze Butt?

I just returned from my first long journey on the 79 special. My boss's wedding took place in Bonner's Ferry, Idaho, which is about 425 miles from Stanwood,WA. Some friends and I left about 7 am to to start our trip. We decided to take the more scenic route of Hwy 2 to Spokane and then into Idaho. Another group of 12 bikes ( all Harleys) took I-90. Boring!!
    The day before I installed a touring seat that came with the bike. I'm amazed at how comfortable it was on that long trip. After 8 hrs + in the saddle I wasn't tired at all. Aside from less than desired mpg (about 35-38), the Special is just that. What a great bike. The more I ride it the more I love the way it handles and the awesome power these bikes have when they're running right.
    It pulled Steven's pass like it was a mole hill! I was a little concerned about how the elevation gain would affect the mixture of the carbs but it never missed a beat. It seemed as if the longer I rode the better the bike ran. Maybe it needed to stretch it's legs as much as I did. Speaking of stretching, I had a leather duffle strapped on the sissy bar and with my boots up on the crash bars, the throttle lock on, leaned back into it and easy ridered it all the way. Once into Idaho, off came the brain buckets. Wow, I'd almost forgotten how free one can feel unencumbered from the helmet.
    We arrived in Bonner's Ferry about 4:30 pm. The weather was perfect @ 80*
    We saw moose and the beautiful scenery was all around. After settling down in our Motel we rode up to the boss's place to say hello and to check out the surroundings. What a gorgeous place it is. The next day the wedding took place as scheduled then the bride and groom wanted our entourage of 25 bikes ( all Harleys except for 1 Indian, 1 GoldWing, 1 CrotchRocket, and my 79 XS1100sf) to ride into Troy, Montana. More great scenery flew by as everyone tried to outrun each other. Let me tell you that none of the Harleys could even come close to out pacing the eleven. The only possible contender was the afore mentioned CrotchRocket. Triple digits were eclipsed several times by yours truely. (Don't tell the wife!)
    On Sunday it was time to call in the dogs, piss on the fire and head it on back to bowlegs. We exited promptly @ 7 am once again, leaving the Harley riders to sleep off their hangovers. On the way back we took a different route via Hwy 2 to Hwy 28 to Ephrata. The ride down along the Columbia and Rock Island Dam is breathtaking. We stopped in Cashmere for a break and needed refreshments. It was 87* I already looked like a raccoon from the sun on my face.
    The only bummer of the trip was the stop and go traffic from Startup to Monroe. It took a half hour to go 10 miles.
    Nevertheless, the odometer had 950 or so miles more then when we left. Not quite an IronButt but a BronzeButt to be sure! I have a newfound respect for the Yamaha and a great memory of riding with friends. Peace, Ruffrider
    1979 XS 1100 SF(16k now, more to come)
    140 mains, 42.5 pilots, drilled airbox w/uni fliter
    MikesXS Coils- bypassed ballast resistor- new wires
    1975 GL1000 Gold Wing(81k-Old Faithful) and another 75 GL1000 project. MBS sickness for sure.
    Other Bikes Iv'e owned:
    1979 Kawasaki 750 LTD
    1980 Kawasaki 125 Enduro
    1975 Honda 400f
    1976 Honda CB360
    1968 Honda 160

Stanwood (also known as Deadwood to the locals) is not to far from Lake Stevens. We should get together sometime in late July for some rides!

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
    Second bike is an FJR1300.
    Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

Sounds like a fantastic trip you guys had!
      I am too afraid to travel farther then Boston, Ma,
      with my XS because of a possible break down on the highway,
      My bike has over 45k on it and it was abused by the PO!
      I am fixing mine a little each month and plan on a trip from Vermont to Texas
      that's 2000 miles one way!~,
      I will of course travel during the daylight hours
      and hotel / motel it, at night time!~

Comment

Sounds like a cool ride.You rode within a couple miles of my house.
        There is some beautiful scenery over here in eastern Washington and North Idaho and Montana.Some real fun riding too.
        Next time your on this side,give me a shout and maybe we can get together and ride.
        Rick
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Thanks guys for replys

Hey thanks for reading my thread about the first jaunt of any length with my resurrected XS. Here's a pic with no bugs (finally got around to cleaning her up) And Rush, I'd love to ride with you man. PM me and we'll try to carve out some time and twistys.
          1979 XS 1100 SF(16k now, more to come)
          140 mains, 42.5 pilots, drilled airbox w/uni fliter
          MikesXS Coils- bypassed ballast resistor- new wires
          1975 GL1000 Gold Wing(81k-Old Faithful) and another 75 GL1000 project. MBS sickness for sure.
          Other Bikes Iv'e owned:
          1979 Kawasaki 750 LTD
          1980 Kawasaki 125 Enduro
          1975 Honda 400f
          1976 Honda CB360
          1968 Honda 160

Comment

Working...
          X