Another one lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one lost

So I decided to ride from San JOse down to San Diego to arrive for my first day of work. At 1:30am the poor thing starts making vicious and unnatural grinding noises. I pull over and hop off to try and figure it out.

- check for something dragging
    - check my cables
    - check the oil level

Couldn't see anything wrong and only had a flashlight. I decided to turn her over and cross my fingers since I was right at the off ramp and a lit gas station was at the corner.

*BLAM*

I got all of 50ft. and then after a shudder all the power went out of the bike. I hit the kill switch and rolled to a stop. I get off and there's an oil slick trailing behind me. When I take a walk around the bike I see a baseball sized hole blown through the bottom of the engine case. I guess I managed to throw a rod.

I had to get to work so after a tow I got a rental car in the morning. The bike now belongs to a donation company because it was cheaper for them to take it than for me to ship it down to me.

*sigh*

So no more XS11 for me. =(
    Looking for an XS

79 XS1100SF (RIP)
    - stock standard headers(stupid PO), slip-on after-market mufflers.
    - after-market rear shocks (PO installed)
    - no airbox, POD filters

Misery remembered is ADVENTURE!

man, that's sad to hear....

sorry for your loss.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss, but don't blame the design or the bike. Mine is turning 100,000 miles. I bought it with 28000 miles 5 years ago. All the problems I've had (burned valve, some electrical problems,) I attribute to the previous two owners leaving it out in the rain and otherwise abusing it.
      All in all I still think it is the best bike I have ever owned. Sorry to hear yours broke.
      E.Liberty
      Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
      I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

that sux dude
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Sorry to hear about the engine failure!

However, shame you decided to donate it!! You probably could have found an Xsive in the area that could have possibly picked it up with a trailer, and depending on some things, you could have possibly found some spare engine to put back into it...IF Tod can run thru 2 of them, then surely you could have found one!?

I guess the gas station wouldn't have let you leave it parked there for any time??? Hope to see/hear you back with a new one in the near future!?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yea, I was getting charged daily for having it at the towing yard, so I didn't have time to hunt down an XSive. And it was cheaper to donate than have it shipped so I had to cut my losses.
            Looking for an XS

79 XS1100SF (RIP)
            - no airbox, POD filters

Comment

About 1 1/2 years ago the bike ran fine.I used it to ride to work and on the weekends.I wanted to replace the tires and change the brake fluid and took it to a dealer.He wouldn't touch the brakes and would only put tires on.I spoke to the mechanic and he told me to look around for a newer bike.I bought my 99 Kawasaki ZRX 1100 and rode that so i could give the XS a break.Took the bike out of my storage unit and the bike ran like crap(sorry).Tried to fix what was wrong, but started to work alot of hours at my full time job and i couldn't dedicate my time to the bike on the weekends.I decided to try and part it out.Then i decided to take some time off until i could gather my thoughts.I'm glad i did because persistence paid off.The design of the bike is not to blame,i believe we are.Good luck and look around.I occasionally look at the want ads and on e-bay.They're out there!
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              xschop K & N air filter setup
              Dynojet Recalibration kit
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

In the future

An xs100 will be hunted down in the future. However right now I'm discovering a dual-sport will likely fit my needs of the moment better. I had been 1 week from a full bottom end job which likely owuld have found whatever killed my baby. Though I'm highly tempted to get another out of stubbornness, right now I have neither the space nor time to refurbish and maintain an older bike. =( So for now it looks like a newer lightly used KRL650 is on the horizon.
                Looking for an XS

79 XS1100SF (RIP)
                - no airbox, POD filters

Comment

Working...
                X