• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tkat's Sierra Ride Report by Tkat

Tkat's Sierra Ride Report
    By Tkat
    October 3, 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Observations:

* Salt marsh flies will stick on a visor shield @ BUG .5.
    * At BUG .75 they will stick on the sides of the shield.
    * At BUG 2+ they will indent the shield and may NEVER be removed.
    * This will all happen in the late afternoon when traveling due West.

Yesterday [Sunday] the Red Wood City BMW Dealership held it's monthly shop ride [all come]. It was billed as a 2-pass, 550 1 day jaunt --- the passes being over the Sierras, Sonora & Tioga. Side excursions to Leavitt Lake [4X drive road] and ghost town Bodie [20+ miles of high desert seldom traveled dirt] if desired. Ride leaves promptly @ 0700 [and we were only 5 minutes late!].

20 intrepid souls showed up, 10 GS Bemmers, 5 BMW F650's, 3 Triumph Tigers, 1 Duc S4, and me on my TDM. It was the 1st time out on a real ride for me and the Yami, 100 milers don't count. The Shop Owner, Kari Praiger, settled in on the demo GS1200 and away we went.

The route took us across the lower end of the Bay and then East on as many secondary roads as were possible across the Central Valley floor. The only irritants were the rising sun and the Cal Trans crews rearranging the highway road surfaces. However, w/o any hysterics we got across --- albeit spread out for a couple of miles, to the 1st gas stop at Jamestown. Regroup, refuel, and refreshed we trouped on up thru the picturesque CA Gold Country.

After the TDM [pun intended] of the flat lands the trip got interesting. Hwy 120 became a loose twisty, ever climbing 2 lane thru the foothills where the towns have the poignant names of Chinese Camp, Copperopolis, Soulsbyville, &c. Here, exactly where I don't know, the only major disaster --- which we were to learn of later, took place. One of the tail enders crashed and had to be med-evacted out. No other detail available. The 2 riders who stayed behind with the casualty phoned ahead to a rest/gas stop & left a message.

Climbing up the Sierras thru the sequoias has got to be done once in every motorcyclist's life. While there are more open vistas of view and more challenging roads elsewhere, for the shear magnificence of the forest, twisties, and climate [now] the combination is fantastic. But here, also, was where the next heart pumpers of mine occurred, 2, to be more "precise" [thnx JR].

#1. Headed up the grade at a rapid clip. The road is one of those looping up, up, up, down, up, up jobs with enuf variance to break a rhythm. The next turn is a long not so quick right hander around a hill side nose --- and I'm too hot. Creased the seat on this one. Bent the TDM over to the peg, 1st mark I've put on it. And still I'm headed [slowly] for the double yellow. Worse, there's 2 pieces of on-coming. Ended up kissing the line before I got back. And for you that know the bike --- scrapping pegs is a l-o-n-g way over ITOFTS[1].

#2. Shortly after #1 above, the road does a dipsey-doodle down right/up left. A GS 3 up front of me does an "I can't make the turn" number & low-sides off. The 2 GS's directly in front of me decide to French kiss and get amorous. I'm all over the front brakes in a turn --- what put me on the ground last Dec. Finally they come up for air and I squeeze thru --- [whew]. ITOFTS[2]. As usual, e'body behind has to stop @ the scene clogging the road. WRONG!! By now, I'm stopped on the up side at the end of the straight before the crash. 1st priority, warn traffic --- this is a major traveled hwy.

SOAP BOX MODE ON:

If, and if you ride w/ a group you will, encounter this situation, the FIRST THING TO DO is make sure the situation does not get worse. Imagine another crotch rocket [or cage] flying into a curve where the road is choked w/ people --- oops.

1st, given the option, choose the most dangerous direction and set up a warning station. 2nd, make sure s'one is covering the other direction [if possible]. Don't worry about the crashee, enuf others will be doing that. Lessons learned "on the grade" building hwys & reinforced being a road race flagman.

SOAP BOX MODE OFF:

Back to the ride. [Geez, s'times I wish I were a wordsmith rather than a trog. I can't do justice to the grandeur of the setting/day/event]. Next rallying point is the mountain inn/cafe of Dardanella, somewhere around 7000' elev. Here starts the 1st side trip for those brave souls wishing to go off pavement. "Kari, what's the road like?" "4X drive." "Wait here, I'll go get my Blazer." You think I'm gunna risk scratching my die-for-gorgeous dual sport? Not!

The street group continues on over Sonora Pass to Bridgeport. We've crossed the divide so now the terrain is high desert, open and dry. The way up has been twisty/turny with minimal sight distance. Now on the downward side it's more open both in view and turns. Here's Bridgeport, another high Sierra town from the Gold Rush days that found a way to continue, and a gas stop. This is where we learn about the 1st crash --- but no details. It's about noon so it's time for a bag of chips and a snooze. Amazing how comfortable astro turf can be after riding 5 hours. The street group takes off but I'm going to be brave and try the Bodie run, hence I've got to wait for the off-road group.

An hr. of nap time and Kari w/ the rest in tow show up. A couple of more casualties. A GS got tangled in a tree and broke a high pressure fuel line [injector] and has to go back in a truck. S'body else has twisted an ankle and opts out for a straight run home [200+ miles]. In defense, the road was much worse than usual --- good decision on my part to zee out.

A'way, there are now, 6 of us to do the Bodie run. Quarter mile out of downtown we wind thru the 2 blocks of houses that separate it from the desert. Imagine, only 6 hrs. before we were breathing salt air. Since then, with stops, we've been thru some of the oldest living things on earth, climbed over 7000', and are now in an area that looks like it's never seen rain --- only in California!

The road is now dirt and dust, can we call it "dist"?. Kari, a GS, and an F650 want to go play and slide the turns. I've got street tires and still no scratches so not me! Besides, while I've miles and miles of dirt experience under my belt, it's been w/ a wheel @ each corner. Where's my Pro-Rally car or Baja racer when I really need it?!! But I'm still quicker than the other 2 GS's.

But good fun. Generally there's enuf wind to clear the dust, unless we're riding straight into it. The TDM [more later] is eating the rocks/bumps like a trooper. All that's happened so far [& all that did] is the mirrors shaking out of adjustment. 15 miles of dirt later we're at Bodie. This is an old gold mining town that in 4 years exported $100 meg of gold ['78-'81], unstated base. Now a State Park. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to explore/take tour. Had to push on.

Out of town and on towards Mono Lake. This was the normal way to the town so the road, while dirt, was smooth and fast [70 mph?]. A couple of the GS's were commenting on "the wiggles". TDM had no problems. A total of 22 miles of dirt later we hit hwy 167 [paved],

This is on the shores of [salt] Mono Lake with the afore mentioned flies. It's paved, smooth, and deserted. Here's where the bug/BUG observations were made. Kari on the GS takes off. Hey, I've never been here before, I've gotta stay w/ him, don't I? He's tached. Later he says it's about 110 mph. I've still more left --- and this is @ 7500+'. TDM's a great bike!

Down 395 to Lee Vining and a chow break. The other 5 go in for food, I've gotta dig out the wrenches and tighten the mirror. In defense of Yami, I've put on B12 units --- I like the erector set look.

South out of town and a right turn later starts the climb back up the reverse side of the hills. Soon we're out of the deserts and things start getting green again. Nice looping open [but 2-lane] roads. Kari is gone, but the next two in line are riding like they're herding cages. Comon, Guys, screw the double yellow. It's meant for house cars pulling a boat. You've got the sight distance, I'll pay the ticket [grumblegrumble].

Soon I lose my cool and twist it. Now to find Kari. Pass a bunch of other cars --- no Kari. Geez, did he ignore the lines also? [wink], and the 45mph limit? [wink, wink] The scenery is getting spectacular again but I'm more concerned about what's between the ditches, or rather the hill and the abyss.

Closing in on the summit, Tioga Pass, 9945' elev. Hey, there's Kari! Oh, it's the back entrance to Yosemite Park. Stop, pay toll. Kari pays his entrance, I push up. Ranger looks @ me [full face helmet], "You a senior, over 62?" "Yeah" "Oh, good. You get a lifetime pass to all federal parks for 1/2 price!" Woo-Hoo! living this long is finally worth s'thing. $10 later I'm back in gear chasing Kari.

Caught up to him just as he was slowing to turn into Ansel Adams Dome. Remember, we're now in Yosemite Park. [speed limit 45 max --- yeah, right. But it would be a Federal ticket.] This is one imposing piece of rock! This chunk of granite is about 200 yds. tall and a 1/4 mile long [exposed]. And it's just the closest piece of spectacular landscape. For those of you who have never been to Yosemite, make the trip. We decide in the favor of discretion not attempt the climb --- as if I would have, NOT! So down on down the road.

The road thru the park, probably 30 miles, is the most awe inspiring this side of a Grand Canyon 1/2 way up ledge. But w/o the gulp factor. Gigantic sequoias, Olympian rock structures, majestic mountains all vie for attention. I've been many places and seen many wonders but never so many so closely abutted. And the valley floor has not even been mentioned yet! [Subject of another travelogue]

Another gas stop and we're on our way toward the Central Valley floor. We've been out about 9 hours now and the sun is closing in on the horizon. My shield is so messy that half the time I'm running open just to see. But we're in bug country so which is worse --- not seeing 'cause of the glare or not seeing 'cause of eyes closed. Riding by Braille is no fun.

But the sun goes down and we're [all 5 of us now] out of the park. Don't know where the 650 went. We stopped for gas, he didn't. Next trick is to get out of deer country before we pull a Dille. Another shining point of the TDM comes to light. Those twin headlights are awesome! [Sorry, just couldn't resist.]

Night's curtain is drawn and we're on the flats. It's been warm/hot all day. Have yet to turn on my electric vest. Tried the hot grips for a while [yeah, have them too] but shut them back off also. The Valley must have been hot 'cause it's still over 89 deg. @ 2000 hrs. The traffic is picking up from all the weekenders going home. I 5 is moving but hope for no glitches 'cause it would become a 4 lane parking lot.

580 over the pass to the Bay Area is a 6 lane speedway. Can't see much, just red tail and white head lights, all doing 60+, except up hills. There bikes have the advantage. I'm still on Kari's a** climbing Sonol Grade. Taken a bit of weaving, that 50 year ol' guy ain't slow! Onto Hwy 237 to the peninsula. My turn for home is coming up. Down one gear, catch Kari, wave bye, and split.

Back @ the crib @ 2145. Totals: 530 miles, 22 dirt, 14.75 hrs. Great time, terrific Country, & now I'm dog-beat ITOFTS[3].

This travelogue is being tapped out Mon. night. I was just too beat today to handle it. In fact, if the boss weren't such a pr**k I'd have taken the day off. I didn't even turn on the air compressor 'til 1400 hrs. Woo-Hoo! Usually, I can finger curl 10 reps of 45#, either hand, but oh boy are my wrists and forearms talking to me today!

So why did I go? Other than for the ride? 2 main reasons. I wanted to get up-close-and-personal w/ the TDM and I've torn up the shoulder again and have to go back under the knife shortly, which will put a halt to the tra-la-las for a few more months. Oh well.

TDM Road Test Report:

This is one GREAT bike! It's a better kept secret than the B12. Based ruffly on the Super Tenery(?) [Yami's Paris Dakar winner]. It has impeccable road manners. Great ergonomics [for us older folk]. Good top end, guess 125+ @ sea level, strong torque over 2K. Enuf ground clearance to keep crotch rockets honest. 6.5" suspension. 5 gal gas tank, and on this jaunt 48 mpg! With more aggressive dual sport tires [I had M4 Metzlers(?)] I'd take it on cow trails. Never once did I feel it wouldn't do more than I asked. It's faster than I am [not saying that much]. When I got in over my head it just "did it's thing" w/ total aplomb. On the dirt it was totally willing to slide [I wasn't] w/ no sudden break away feelings.

This run went from sea level to 10,000 feet. The engine was strong w/ no flat spots anywhere [it was supposedly jetted for Santa Fe, NM, 7000']. Never a hesitation a'where and always started on the 1st turn of the starter

PROS:
    Great all around bike. Best going I know about. Does e'thing better than well and covers 90% of bikedom. This is the bike to have if you could only have one! It will tour 2 up and cow trail. Plus e'thing in between. Need you more?

CONS:
    A bit quirky. The fuel pump is suspect [yes, it has one] but it can be replaced w/ a more dependable unit from a V-Max(?). If you run it completely out of gas you have to give it a Lewinski [pressurize the tank] to get gas back to the carbs.

The transmission feels "notchy" in the lower gears when shifting. I have yet to figure out how to make it smooth out. Thankfully, little time is spent there.

The stock exhaust is 40 extra lbs. of ugly. The only replacement [new] has to come from Europe.

The sidewise carbs need their emulsion tubes replaced every 15 K miles.

They are no longer imported, '92-3 were the only years, so you can't get one.

But I've got mine! Nahnahahna! [giggle]

Thanks for the bandwidth

ITOFTS! = I'm too old for this s**t!

Ciao, Tkat

YUPPIE LINGO: "percussive maintenance"
    The fine art of whacking a device to get it working.

Tkat..got a pic of the bike?
    Shawn
    78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
    78 XS1100E Parts
    www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Working...
    X