X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Zander family's trip to Chama and back by Denny Zander

The Zander family's trip to Chama and back
    by Denny Zander

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My father (Del), My wife (Glenna), and I incorporated the trip to Chama with a local MC club event, the Rose City Grand Tour. This year there where four check point out of state (Oregon) that we needed to pick up. We select a route that would take us to these checkpoint and through Chama on a grand tour of Western United States. This is a very brief accounting of the route we took and what we found.

Day 1 (7/27) - Glenna and I left the Portland Oregon area around 3:00pm. to meet up with my Dad at Biggs Junction (100 mi east of Portland). We headed down I-84 to La Grande, OR, where we spent the night. We camped at Hilgard Campsite 10mi west of La Grande. It was hot. We saw temps up to 109 degrees.

Day 2 (7/28) - Uneventful day on the I-84 to Tremonton, Utah. Cruised right through Idaho on the way.

Day 3 (7/29) - Got an early start. Slid through Salt Lake at 5:00am to beat the traffic and road construction. Road I-15 all the way to Cedar City, Utah. Hopped on 14 east up the canyon to Duck Creek (first check point). If you ever are in Cedar City and have some time to kill, take 14 east to the summit. We continued onto 89 to Kanab, Utah for the night. Stayed in a Motel. Great days ride. The weather was clear and comfortable. Beautiful country.

Day 4 (7/30) - Headed out early (5:00am) expecting a hot day. Stayed on 89 east to Big Water Utah. Crossed in to Arizona at Page. Ran across northern Arizona through the Navajo reservation. Picked up 64 in New Mexico and cruised into Chama early afternoon. Again we saw fantastic country side and the weather was comfortable.

Had a great time in Chama. Many had already headed home, but enjoyed the company that remained. Great closing ceremony and toast Sid! We camped at Rio Chama.

Day 5 (7/31) - We planned to hang out in Chama for the day and get an early start the next morning. We followed Sid and wife out of town to the top of Cumbres Pass. Parked along the track to watch the steamer go by. As we watched a piece of history puff its way up the mountain, we notice a nasty black cloud rolling in fast. It had rain written all over it. The three of us looked at each other and came to the same conclusion "Let's Ride!". We blasted back to camp, threw our gear on the bikes and hit the road for points north. Sorry I we missed saying good by, but when you get the itch.......

We managed to out run the storm and only get a few drops here and there. We headed north to Pagosa Springs Colorado and then on to Durango. Our target destination was Montrose Colorado, up 550. The weather improved as we went north. Rolled through Silverton with scattered clouds and low 80s. Feeling like we had cheated the devil we continued up the pass (11,600 ft). The XS now felt like a 250cc, but they kept moving.

At the summit, all hell broke loose. We ran smack dab into at thunderstorm. All the way down the other side of the pass, we where in zero degree visibility fog (clouds) and rain. By the time we hit Ouray Colorado we where soaked, but the rain had quit. We continue on to Montrose and spent the night in a motel. Despite the weather, we passed through some of the most spectacular scenery. US 550 from Durango to Montrose is a must do for any biker.

Day 6 (8/1) - The Wife and I headed to Vernal Utah via Grand Junction and 139, while my Dad headed for Sheridan Wyoming to take care of some family business. Spent the night at my sister in-law's home. Hwy 139 is a very nice ride up and over a 8,000+ ft. pass.

Day 7 (8/2) - Glenna visited with he sister in Vernal, while I did some maintenance on the XSs. Oil, a washing, and new tire for the Special. The only riding was back and forth to town. It felt good to take a break from the long days in the saddle.

Day 8 (8/3) - Got on the road around 5:30am, heading north on US 191 into the Uinta Mountains. With our eye peeled for dear and other critters we proceeded on. This is another one of those rides that is a must do. It is a 100 miles of breath taking scenery and wild life. We saw dear, antelope, bobcat, sage hens, rabbits, you name it. Fortunately they all stayed off the road. Stayed on 191 through Rock Springs Wyoming. Picked up 28 to 789, and on to Worland Wyoming, where we got on US 16. Another great ride over the Big Horn mountains to Buffalo Wyoming. On the way we passed through Ten Sleep (check point two). From Buffalo it was a short run up I-90 to Sheridan where we met up with my Dad. Great day of riding, good weather and lots of wide open country. Stayed in a motel.

Day 9 (8/4) - Took I-90 north to Billings Montana, where we took SR 3 up to US 12. At this point we started west, heading for home. We stayed on 12 west to Harlowton Montana. To pick up our third check point, we zoomed up US 191 to Judith Gap and back. A friendly local when asked about how bad they needed rain, stated "it could rain in these parts for a month and we would be only two days away from a drought". Again, great country and people. Just east of White Sulfur Springs Montana we met up with our second thunderstorm of the trip. We road for 30 miles with this storm chasing us west on US 12. The rest of the run into Helena Montana was on and off sprinkles. Stayed in a motel.

Day 10 (8/5) - Heavy rain fell most of the first part of the night, but cleared up by morning. We dried off the bikes and headed west on US 12. We stayed on US 12 through Missoula Montana in route to Lewiston Idaho. Here is another must ride stretch of road. 100+ miles of curves. These are the nice 65 mph corners that the XS does so well. From Lolo Pass just south west of Missoula to Lewiston. We had good weather that got hotter as we got closer to Lewiston. Saw 107 degrees. After checking into a motel, we made an afternoon run south on 129 to Anatone Washington for our fourth and final check point.

Day 11 (8/6) - Left Lewiston at 5:20am on US 12 west. Just before we crossed back into Oregon, we joined US 730, which took us to I-82 and then to I-84. We lit the afterburners, locked the throttles and headed for home. Arrive back home at 12:50pm to a light drizzle and Friday afternoon traffic.

Summary - We visited 9 states in 11 days, saw incredible country side, talked with many friendly people, and put away some life time memories. We traveled light, washing clothes at every other stop, ate in restaurants and sleep in motels(except two nights). We average around 400 miles a day and logged 3,621 mile total. I was continually reminded what a fantastic country I live in and how nice the people are. I am a firm believer that to know this country, you have to ride this country. It should be mandatory for all citizens. Wait a minute, never mind. Maybe that is a secret best kept to those that run the highways.

The bikes where tired, our butts where sore, and the ol home stead felt good. We got our fill of riding for the time being, but I know it is only temporary. My hat is off to a 20 year old work horse that never complained threw blistering heat, driving rain, high mountain passes, and 12 hour days. Gota love these XS1100s.

I could never capture the silly moments, the close calls and missed directions the way they happened at the time, so I didn't try. To really understand a trip like this, ya gota do it.

Next time we won't have a schedule. The most fun was leaving Chama out of plan and calling the route as we wanted. It takes more time, but pays back 10 fold.

Until we ride again...
Working...
X