Thanksgiving Day ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving Day ride

This was not a long or Monument-us ride, but it made all the difference.

This report includes no details on weather, road, bike, traffic, envious bystanders or other conditions. It was all good. Those of you who have been on a 'GOOD ride' need no explanation.

" How was your weekend? "did you get stuffed?"
    Yes, Leeanne and Starr cooked - XSive, even by my standards

PMS Parked motorcycle syndrome. I went a day or two without riding...Worked, planted 1000-2000 flowers in my yard, cooked Turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes, Ate pumpkin pie, cake, ice-cream congealed salad, pickled mushrooms, apple rings, black & green olives, sweet potato souffle, Green been casserole, plain green beans, corn casserole, Cheese&macaroni, ice tea, lemonade, cornbread, biscuits, dinner rolls, probably something I can not remember, and cranberry sauce.

I know that one or two days without riding is not usually fatal, but...late November, temps in the 70's sunny with no chance of rain, warm, wind calm...Brother Jon tells me it was REALLY nice riding when he went...I hear bikes passing on nearby roads...I can see my bikes (2 or 3) ready to go...I am having a little trouble feeling grateful on this Thanksgiving Day...

I have planting flowers, raking pine cones and straw from drive & walk, cleaning & cooking to do. Duty, devotion, promises to keep,
    Thank Goodness wife asked me to go get a gallon of milk about an hour before family scheduled to arrive. I returned on bike with milk, JUST before the first family guests arrived. It was a nice get together & feast.

Hmmm, It just now occurs to me that wife already had plenty of milk in fridge when she asked me to go get some. Seems she out-smarted me for my own good again.

Sometimes, I am just LUCKY.
    Any time, 'most every day, Holidays and vacations included
    24.53%
    usually - No need to winterize, as bike gets gets ridden at least monthly.
    24.53%
    often - But Riding season limited by Sub zeroe temps, and garage burried under deep snow for months at a time,
    41.51%
    On rare special occations: bike shows, rallies, etc
    0.00%
    ride to work only (work all the time)
    3.77%
    only on trips (never to work, not possible on ships military etc}
    1.89%
    special case ??? - you describe
    3.77%
    It is a great big beautiful world out there
    Brent in GA
    Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Living in the Bay Area...has many negitives,
    but weather and places to ride are not among them.
    I get to ride almost every day rain or shine, no snow at my house but generally at least once a year get to see some on the hills to the east.

mro

Comment

PMS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mro
      [B]Living in the Bay Area...has many negitives,
      but weather and places to ride are not among them.
      I get to ride almost every day rain or shine, no snow at my house but generally at least once a year get to see some on the hills to the east.

mro,

Parked motorcycle symdrome affects me if I go tooo long without riding.

We are fortunate. I did enjoy riding with you out of South Lake Tahoe, Sierra scenery and roads there are Good! I too can ride rain or shine (no lightning for me). I recently waited about a day for rain & cold front to pass north of us. Some one in our group "left, no room for, forgot" his rain suit. So there we were 'stuck.' in that subtropical Florida paradise. What was he thinking??!?

Brent in Ga
      Brent in GA
      Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Too busy riding to talk about it?

mro,

Thanks for replying to this thread. I was beginning to wonder, with no replies. Surly there are some who ride often or each month at least, others who ride to work regularly.
        Those up north who do not winterize, but pick their best days and ride year round make for interesting reading. I do not like salt on my vehicles though.

Those stranded in the Great White North, burried in a frozen wasteland, are interesting folks. In the spring they come roaring out of the north, crazed with cabin fever, white knuckle grip on their bars, trying to get a whole years worth of riding done in 5 months. Some of them do.

They are fun to ride with. I look forward to XSeast in the spring, even if I do get to ride some most of the winter.
        Brent in GA

Comment

Was wondering why there were not at least 50 posts here.
          Hmm...maybe Brent's got bad breath? NO, can't smell nothing...maybe this thread should been in the members lounge

PM TC and see if he might move it.

mro
          BTW, riding in the rain is better than sitting in a cage in the sun shine.

Comment

When possible I take the bike. Have an old pickemup truck that I keep around for when big things need hauling or the snow and ice come, but other than that, the 11 is the only way to travel. Chilly today (might get into the 20s) but the sun is shining and the streets are dry. At the very least, she'll get out to run some errands today. Tomorrow, they're talking a high of 5*, she may get a day off after all.
            1980 XS 1100 Standard
            1980 XS 1100 Special
            1982 XJ 1100
            1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

Winter riding

Larmee,
              Thanks for posting. I wonder what the special case of riding is?

You are an inspiration to me. Some of those temps sound like they could be dangerous if ill preparred.

I guess I should not complain about winter in Ga, but I do admitt "January riding is better in South FL" Trip to Keys was good.
              Brent in Ga

Originally posted by D. P. Larmee
              When possible I take the bike. Have an old pickemup truck that I keep around for when big things need hauling or the snow and ice come, but other than that, the 11 is the only way to travel. Chilly today (might get into the 20s) but the sun is shining and the streets are dry. At the very least, she'll get out to run some errands today. Tomorrow, they're talking a high of 5*, she may get a day off after all.
              Brent in GA

Comment

Those stranded in the Great White North, burried in a frozen wasteland, are interesting folks. In the spring they come roaring out of the north, crazed with cabin fever, white knuckle grip on their bars, trying to get a whole years worth of riding done in 5 months. Some of them do.

Oh, this is SO ME. Warmed up to 10 today and haven't had snow since.............................yesterday!!!!

(Brag'n Drag 2006)
                XJ1100 Ruby Red
                XS1100LH "Midnight"
                1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Brag & drag 06 Thankful reflections

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cruiser
                  [B]Those stranded in the Great White North, burried in a frozen wasteland, are interesting folks. In the spring they come roaring out of the north, crazed with cabin fever, white knuckle grip on their bars, trying to get a whole years worth of riding done in 5 months. Some of them do.

Oh, this is SO ME. Warmed up to 10 today and haven't had snow since.............................yesterday!!!!

(Brag'n Drag 2006)

That was good & spring time is coming.

Hi Cruiser,
                  Brag & Drag 06. I was there, riding "other brand" red HD roadking. Good bunch of folks there. I hav not heard anything from host Chevy 454, and suspect he may have changed addresses, both residence & email. Payne still posts about rustic roads in WI. Bob Falter crashed his XS returning home from Brag & drag, broke his pelvis. He bought another XS. He is back on riding, usually a HD dyna. Rode with him in SD & FL He seems to be healed completely. Marty & Sally Have been riding. Sold the Venture & now ride an FJR1300 (SD july 07) or an FZ1 ( N GA vintage Jap rally fall 07).
                  I Would like to ride with you again.

Maybe at some of these rallies?
                  Lost in IL
                  XSeast pocconos
                  Vintqage Japbike rally TWO Suches Ga
                  Vintage at mid ohio - AMA
                  Brent in GA

Comment

Hey Brent,

You need to have a special vote spot for me. "Ride just about daily... when I can keep it running." Only thing that stops me is packed ice/snow on the road which doesn't even happen every year here. I also don't like the slushy riding when the ice is melting since there's lots of sand and salt.

I am about to finish up on another rebuild. I am not trying to marry old used parts to other old used parts, so maybe this one will work out for a while? (Knocking on forhead...)

Hope to see you soon.. possibly early June for the Bob Jones memorial ride.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I get out over the winter months aslong as the roads are halfway clear and I can get out of the drive.

Not too worried about getting it dirty,it's like me it will come off.

This is how I prefere to see snow.

'80 XS1100 SG
                      Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Thanksgiving ride 2011

A good time to count my blessings.

My XS11 started today.
                        I have been chasing down some electrical gremlins. Dirty or stuck tipover switch, bad connections in starter and ignition circuit... Yesterday left turn signal not working. Cleaned plugs on dodge 3 prong flasher, Fixed, But Right front signal quit. Wife suggested bike too old & unreliable...Oppertunity for new, but I REALLY like my XS!!
                        So, I saved my self maybe $10,000 or more
                        Fortunately, I am stubborn, do not give up easily, so today I made sure bike would start (or more accurately started it up just for the fun of it) and began working on signal. Bulb was black with no filiment. Two new 1156 bulbs from convience store $2.11, EZ. Most time consuming part of whole job was waiting for customers buying lottery tickets while they complained that it was not "fair" that they did not win. (Some folks pay admission to a show to hear such comedy).

I have a good running bike with turn signals that work & no monthly payments on it. Beautiful weather. short ride to store. Good to ride & be grateful before going to Daughter in Laws house. My daughter Leeanne cooking many dishes to take there. My little riding buddy has turned into a college student and good cook.

Thanksgiving - Providing the best in family dysfunction since 1863.

Ride before, be grateful. Then Holiday... Think to ride after too.
                        Brent in GA

Comment

unseasonal weather

been rather warm and dry so far this winter in north dakota. so have been able to ride quite a bit. nothing too momentous, but still very enjoyable.
                          if it has screws in it i am gonna screw with it!

82 XJ1100 "the red baron"
                          82 XJ550 "max"
                          82 S10 not quite right pickemup "lucy"
                          73 honda 750

Comment

Working...
                          X