Wheelie on an XS11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheelie on an XS11

Yes, I have pulled a wheelie on my 79 xs once and dont want to do it again. Nothing bad happened and I wasnt showing off, just got alittle throttle happy at a stop light.

Another time, my friend ask me if I could teach him to ride. I agreed thinking he had knowledge of clutches and manual shifting. After a few exhausting days he had his permit and was soon ready to ride though town. He stalled as we came to the first light after exiting the highway, he was on my xs and I was on my wife's xj 550 seca. I told him to stop twisting the throttle so much when he was trying to start it. Then I noticed he was out of gas, so I switched the vavle to reserve. As we sat in the left turn lane through a green light, cars began focusing their rage on us. I told him he might have to twist the throttle a bit more since he ran out.
    Oh lord, if I had a video camera for what happened next. He opened the throttle full as he hit the starter again, the bike raged with life and howled through the kerker megaphone at 10,000 rpm. The light turned yellow and the cagers focused on the roaring XS11. He immediately scared himself as it started and quickly released the clutch while in first gear. Well, I dont think god himself has even seen a 340 pound man raise so high in the air as my friend did. He darts off ahead, front wheel pointed straight up, comes down rolling off the gas as he is scared again, wobbles around points left and zooms off uncontrollably. I am left sitting at the stop light with my mouth hanging open and unable to follow him. The car in the lane directly in front of mine in the opposing side, sits with the same expression as me, he sat through his green light for at least a minute. I figure he almost had a stroke seeing this huge dude on an old loud "thing" coming at him from across the street on one wheel. My friend sat in the parking lot of k-mart just past the intersection holding his chest. Yes, needless to say, that was the last time he ever rode my bike. He now rides a 75 honda 750 as slow as the law permits. He keeps the tank full as he wishes not to stall again.
    Last edited by jimgreenguy1; 10-12-2002, 02:46 AM.
    Hi. I'm Jim, I'm here to party.

Yep. XS's do wheelies. Even with 300 pound guys on them . . . See Wheelie (Oh My Gawd)

Excerpt: . . . Where the hell is a rocket launcher when you really need one?

Keep the rubber side down folks!
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I am quite sure that I may have pulled a wheelie or two on my XS, but it was an accident, honest

Here is the best reply to a post that said the XS could never pull a wheelie 'cause it was shaft drive, courtesy of John Irish...

Lienus, you unfortunately have not much information about the XS bikes, do you? Considering they were the FASTEST production bikes from 1978 to 1982, had the most powerful engine available at the time, many were mfg. with speedos that passed 160mph, and were specifically designed to be a custom cruiser/sport bike capable of speed and power, they were, and still are known, revered and yes, even feared, due to their incredible ability to flip wheelies in multiple gears, even with 2 riders on board!

And as far as you comment about NO shaft drive bike being capable of lifting the front tire, wellll????? Not only does my 24 YEAR OLD 1979XS1100SF (special) pull wheelies without even grunting, my 1986 Venture-Royale, FULL DRESS could pull a front ender in first, and hold it through 4th gear, even when fully loaded! And YES, the Venture-Royale is a shaft drive bike as well!

Although I am certain that most OTHER companies shaft bikes can't perform like a Yamaha, don't use that biased information to claim that NO shaftie can do a wheel lift.

Now, if you still don't believe that a shaftie can lift, then I CHALLENGE you to contact any one from the XS list and arrange to meet up with them and they can eagerly and easily prove our point to you. In fact, if you would like to come to New Hamshire, myself as well as several other New England Riders would GLADLY show you what our bikes are made of! On one or both wheels!

\\! !//
      (0 ¿ 0)
      .O.
      K.I.L.Y.

Give 'em hell John!!
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

wheelies

I'm not saying I did,I'm not saying I didn't,but.......your riding buds are really impressed when you drive past them on one wheel......especially when your on a full dress xs(bored and cammed....of course)......not endorsed by local or state law enforcement!!!

Comment

Working...
        X