North Rim - Grand Canyon (long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Rim - Grand Canyon (long)

28 degrees F. Brrrrr..... Hope the XJ fires up. Better snap the liner into my TourMaster riding jacket.....

I had planned a trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon for a couple weeks. With my camping reservation in hand, made in advance through the Park Service, I left Prescott at about 7:00 AM on Saturday, October 5th.

This was an overnight excursion, so I had my trailer hooked up behind the XJ. Also had 2 new items to test: the HD mini floorboards I had fitted to the bike, and the Vetter lowers I was trying for the first time.

The floorboards worked very well. The longer I rode the more I appreciated them. More foot positions, as I could move my feet forward and back as needed, and less vibration than the stock pegs. Drawback is that I do not yet have a heel-toe shifter or forward controls, so shifting is a bit akward. Still, on the open road the boards really showed their worth in the extra comfort they provided.

I had purchases the Vetter lowers a couple years ago, but had never put them on my Windjammer IV. (Same as Windjammer SS.) I bought the necessary 8 expansion nuts (well nuts) from the local hardware store, and decided to go with stainless steel screws instead of standard zinc-plated screws. Installation was a snap. Removed the stock plugs, inserted the nuts, fit up the lowers and put in the screws.

These things really deflect the cold air from around the knees. Both Saturday and Sunday mornings had temps in the low 20's, but the lowers kept my knees and legs from catching the brunt of wind and added much appreciated comfort to the ride. Drawback became apparent later in the day: the lowers interfere with my ability to stretch my legs out over my case gaurd mounted alternate footpegs. I could put my feet on the pegs, though, and between them and the floorboards I was still in pretty good shape.

North from Prescott to Flagstaff, then up 89A to Lee's Ferry, a crossing point on the Colorado River. The Colorado runs through the Grand Canyon, and Lee's Ferry is the start of both the National Park and the point where boat trips through the canyon begin. The road takes you right up the base of the Vermillion Cliffs, quite red with minerals, and on this fall day a gorgeous ride.

Approaching Jacob's Lake and the intersection of Hwy 167 that takes one into the North Rim, golden Aspen started to become more common. Elevation increases and temps go down. Stopped for gas and paid a whopping $1.79.9 per gallon for 87 octane!

South toward the North Rim and my campground for the night. Hwy 167 travels the east side of a valley, and the fall colors were pretty much at their peak. Some of the red Aspen had begun to loose a few leaves, but the remaining red, yellow and still green Aspen made a colorful patchwork on the hills. Temps were in the 60's, elevation hits a high point of 8,880 feet. Remains of an early snow were still on the ground in places. Great riding day!

I used my National Parks Pass to get into the park, than found my campground and checked in. Going on 3:00 PM, the Aspen were beginning to get good side light from the afternoon sun. I set up camp, called SWMBO to let ker know I arrived OK, then took off to see the sites.

Took some Aspen photos, then headed back out of the park to a restaraunt I had seen on my way in. Mule deer were everywhere, it seemed. I counted 45 on my way to and from dinner, a 14 mile trip.

Back in camp I built a small fire, taked a bit with the neighbors (campground was full) and turned in early. I knew my down-filled mummy bag would keep me warm, and it was already getting pretty chilly.

In the morning I checked the bike out, including the nuts and bolts I had used to mount the lowers and floorboards. No problems anywhere. Started a fire for effect, then dug out my camp stove and made breakfast. For those of you who know my camping habits from past rallies, breakfast consisted of oatmeal, granola bars, tea, and about a third of a Cadbury rasin and nut candy bar. Yum!

I broke camp, packed my gear in the trailer, and talked to a couple different guys who came buy to talk about the rig. One guy, maybe in his late 60's, expressed his envy: "You are doing just what I wanted to do at your age." (I'm now 50.)

Heading north out of the park I saw another 12 deer. Frost was white on the ground, evaporating in areas as the rising sun rose over the trees. Temp was about 22 deg F, I found out later. Another gorgeous morning. Sure glad I had fitted those lowers.....

Instead of heading straight home I went another 30 miles north of Jacobs Lake to the town of Fredonia, then turned west for another 14 miles to Pipe Springs National Monument.

This small and out of the way monument is an old one, having been established in 1923. A natural springs is at the heart of it, and a fort built by the LDS church became the main attraction. Expecting to be there only a short time, 2 hours went by before I was ready to leave, and I could have stayed a bit longer. However, I needed to be home before dark, so hit the road home.

I pulled in my driveway about 5:15 PM, unpacked the trailer, and took stock of the trip. Distance was 763 miles. Couple rolls of film to take in for developing. Had seen some good fall colors and learned a bit of history. Talked to some interesting people. Had enjoyed being out on the bike, testing the additions and modifications, and just enjoying the ride.

It really can't get any better than that.

Two weeks ago I had been in SW Colorado, where the fall colors were only starting to peak at high elevations, such as around Telluride and Silverton. (8,000 - 10,000 feet.) If anyone wants to get together next year for a fall colors run, let me know and I'll arrange it. Would have to be end of September- early October. Camping, hotels/motels, or National Park cabins are all options, depending on route. Fall really is the best time to ride the west!
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Great Story,
    I am not sure what the riding temperature for the Texas rally, but some place between 60 for low 82 for high...I haven't ridden in 20's weather since my dirt bike day in the early 90's,, I bet the wind protection was a life saver...Can you post some pics??
    Shack
    Shack
    79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
    2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
    Oct 02
    2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
    3176 miles

Comment

Hey Jerry,

Sounds like a great trip. Nice report. Made me want to be back there again . . .

20's huh? Brrrr . . . I was up that way this summer and we were not far from 100's + 20's!!! Sure is a heck of a swing in temps up there in a short period.

Vermillion Cliffs are gorgeous for sure. I think I took my favorite picture . . . ever . . . on that ride. Then the climb up onto the plateau, and the entire climate changes, trees, wildlife, water. The North Rim road was worth the trip, just to ride on that!

My trip report is here if you had not seen it.

Here is my favorite pic, Titled :
      Forever is a Road
      If life is a road, then the soul is a motorcycle
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Re: photos. I took a few with the digital, most on my 35mm Pentax. The digital is now almost 4 years old, no zoom, is not well suited for landscape photography. Will download it tonight and see what I have. I did recently buy a Minolta Dimage Dual Scan II slide and negative scanner, so hope to scan the slides I get back and post a few pics that way.

Yes, Dan, I remember your road report. This is not the first time I've been up this way, but is the first time I've done it in the fall. I was there this summer on a long day trip. Much nicer with temps in the 60's!

One must really cross this stretch on a motorcycle. You can look up, down, left, right, with no restrictions. Smell the new blacktop where a patch has been laid down, then its gone as soon as you hit the old pavement. On windy days you can watch the dust devils forming and disappearing down the canyon. Just listen to the sound of that inline 4 purring away, look at the red cliffs and blue sky, lean your bike around the few corners and know again why you ride a bike.

Somehow I don't think it is the same in a Pace Arrow RV.....
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.

Comment

A few pics...

North Rim campsite

Entrance to Pipe Springs National Monument

Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.

Comment

Jerry,
            Great pictures and Bike..I want to visit there some day!! I am going to Oklahoma in a few weeks to Talamina, Talihina Drive something very close to that spelling, anyway to see the foilage. I know it won't compare to that though...I need a trailer for my xs, but I will do for now...Happy trails..
            Shack

"No matter what Happens...someone always knew it would!!!!"
            Shack
            79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
            2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
            Oct 02
            2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
            3176 miles

Comment

your favorite picture's quote, sounds like a meatloaf song. "If life is just a highway, then the soul is just a car." I like your version better.
              Hi. I'm Jim, I'm here to party.

Comment

your favorite picture's quote, sounds like a meatloaf song.
                Probably inspired by Meatloaf . . . I have been perverting my mind with all kinds of music for an awfully long time now . . . there is no telling what will come out or when . . .
                CUAgain,
                Daniel Meyer
                Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Working...
                X