• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western States 1000

Western States 1000
    by Horst Unger

June 1998
    (Caution: this note contains the words God and CMA ! Read at your discretion. Hope you enjoy it.)

After getting to Abbottsford, BC, my 'little' brother Bob joined me and we set off for Portland, OR. He had talked me into doing this crazy ride, so he'd better come along. Bob is a big boy, 6'3" so it's good to have him there. Actually, he's put many more miles on his motorcycles than I have - so he would lead, I would follow. A good arrangement.

I-5 is a boring stretch from Vancouver, BC to Oregon, but at least it goes fast. Fast ? the limit is 70 MPH, but in reality it's more like 75 to 80 MPH if you want to keep up with traffic. A little faster than our Vancouver Island traffic !

Stopped for a quick lunch, then back on the road. I find that putting my boots on the rear pegs, then sliding over the tank bag a bit, gives me that 'cruising feeling'. Hmmm ... is there a sport-touring bike in my future ? Rob's ZX-11 naturally has that position, and he says he likes it. No GL's here ... maybe I'll install superbike bars, too.

Rob and I are both CMA members, and he recently got his certificate in Mechanical Ministry, and he was looking to use his skills. He's always been a pretty good wrench. When you drive truck, it helps. South of Olympia we see this bike on the side of the road, moving but slowly. We stop. He catches us and has a patch on his back. I couldn't make out what is was till he got close: a Vietnam Vets m/c rider ... cool ! I'm Canadian and only know what I've seen in movies, but I guess they didn't exactly get a welcome wagon reception when they got back. Turns out his older H-D broke a clutch cable - hey, could happen to anybody. We fiddle but it's not gonna work - need a new one. We offer him a ride to his buddy's in the next town and he accepts. This makes Rob's day.

On to Portland ... we take one little detour then back on I-5, find the right exit, get a motel and settle in for the night. The restaurant next door is a Texas BBQ place ! does it get any better ? that should put us to sleep .... 3:30 AM comes mighty early.

We get up, check out and go ... down the road the bikes are getting going. Departure is 5 to 7AM. We leave early. Small groups of 2-4 riders. Many GL's all kinds. Many Beemers, some cruising H-D's and several sport touring bikes (Connies, ST1100's) and then an assortment of everything else. Also a few crotch-rockets. Coffee and a donut, then off.

We will cover 550 miles today, about 450 tomorrow. Tonight we'll be in Osoyoos, BC a place I know well. Hot and dry, sunshine guaranteed. We head up I-5 for awhile, then head east on Hwy #12 - beautiful ... oh oh, fog up ahead. Thick fog, too. Good thing I got leather pants and long johns underneath. Soon we're past the fog, and the clouds break. By now we're in the Mt. Rainier area and the scenery is really great. And then the sun comes out ... ahhh, do you know the feeling of warm sun hitting your cold black leathers ? It is as if you can feel the warmth of God's love embracing you. Wonderful. This is great !

The day is good - we meet up with many others along the way. Gas stations, a restaurant. We go around Mt. Rainier and avoid Seattle traffic, now we're in Everett, onto Sumas. Soon we're at the Canadian border where we started yesterday. Hi mom. Then through Hope and onto Hwy #3 through Manning Park. A few drops - no problem, slip on the rainsuits, right. Right. On to Princeton, rain stopped, a bit of sun. By 5PM we can see Osoyoos and good thing we made reservations. Buffet dinner, shower, then rest.

I get up at 6AM and look out the window - I see another XS11. No, it's two ... three ! Gotta go see this. It's Denny Z. from the XS11 Owner's Association, with his wife and dad all riding Eleven's. We meet and take a picture. This makes my day .... this is cool. Down we head back into WA. Hwy #97 is great on both sides of the border. Some GL's pass us and we're speeding - that's ok, we'll catch them in the corners ... he he he. Didn't anyone tell them this is not a race. Later ... there they are all at the same gas station .... ha ha ha. There is one stretch of road between Ellensburg and Yakima known as Canyon Road. This is a *must ride* an absolute thrill. We get a warning from a friendly state trooper who says to Rob: "You were speeding but he (me) was gaining on you!" YES ! did you hear that, Bob ? We pick up Hwy #12 again for the final stretch home.

Two more bikes by the side of the road. A nice Suzuki GS850G with a bad coil - only runs on two cylinders. Hey, I've done it on the Eleven, but he decides he'll leave the bike and this time his friend on a GL1500 gives him a ride back. Walter and Gene. We sit with them at the awards banquet. Enjoy a good chat, these guys are true riders who have owned many bikes, including - of course - an XS11. Nothing but good things to say about them. Wishes he never had sold it. I know I won't.

Catch Denny and his wife again, but they have kids to attend to. Meet the Tourcade guys who organized all this and thank them. There's Bob again, helping to put some tables away while I chat up the ZX-9R guy. Nice bike, but a little too fast for me. To top it off, Bob wins one of the door prizes - $25 from Everett Honda. The grand prize goes to the rider who has the average time. What ? oh, yeah, this was not a race.

We get another night's sleep, take I-5 to Olympia, then Hwy #101 to Port Angeles where I catch a ferry home. Arrive safe and tired, but happy, at 2:30 Monday afternoon. Rob veers off to Port Townsend and Anacortes, then home to Abbottsford. What a ride.

Not one complaint from my Silver Shadow. Used up 1L of oil over 1,600 miles, mostly on the Interstates. We pushed 90 MPH at some points, and not always on straightaways Got about 40MPG on average. Good thing Rob gave me his gelpack (he has a Corbin seat), or my butt would not have lasted. Actually, I felt better the 3rd day than the 1st. Funny how that works. You really do get used to it and develop stamina.

Would I do this again? Definitely. Recommend it to others ? Sure. You know yourself - if you like awards, competition, being part of a larger group that accomplished something, this is for you. (169 bikes, 2 breakdowns, no injuries of any kind - this is good)

If you prefer to do it alone, that's fine too. Distance riding gives you an appreciation of the beauty around us, and tests our endurance, skills and abilities. Above all, ride safe !
Working...
X