• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Man, One Motorcycle, One Moose

One Man, One Motorcycle, One Moose
    by Richard Pierson

June 1981 - Canada (and the moose)
    The first year I got it, Jan 81, I used it on sunny days and for shot hops around where I lived in Northern NJ [Randolph NJ].

In June of that year we had a meeting up at the company's HQ in Burlinton MA [~Boston~] for 4 days so I packed some camping stuff and sent it to a relatives house in Phelam NH. After the meeting I took 2 weeks vacation [In Addition to a 3 day weekend] and headed north. My initial goal was the arctic circle, so I headed for Hudsons Bay. It was a great trip limited by my 90 mi distance between gas stops which is what would stop me later from completing my trip. The bike ran flawlessly. It got its share of attention at stops with its all black and gold finish.

Along about day 3 and well up into Canada I was riding along a set of railroad tracks, taking care as the road was hard pack and not wanting to end up on my ass 100 miles from nowhere when what I thought at first was a horse stepped out from the woods on the other side of the road from the railroad tracks. Then as I got closer I saw it was not a horse but a moose, a bull moose no less and one who was pissed at something [Might not have liked Yamahas for all I know] or else he wanted to get a closer look cause he headed right for me at what looked like a slow trot but really ate ground fast. I turned around and headed the other way and even as quickly as I did it he almost got me. I never would have believed they were so damn big [or that fast] if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, so much for the "peaceful, passive moose" image I had. I have often wondered why none of the zoo's I've been to [SDiego, WashingtoDC, Bronx] have one in captivity. He gave up after bout' a quater mile, I stopped about 100 yards after that to turn around and take a picture. No Moose. Turned around again and headed back in the original direction I was going, passed where I last saw him and still no moose, then he moved and I was stopped 50 feet away, took my picture and left as soon as he made a move in my direction. Uneventful trip until I ran out of gas and had to wait 4 hours for the monthly delivery truck at the rather rustic general store/postoffice/gastation/dentist/barber/carwash & tatoo parlour which was the only commercial business in the area. At any rate when I got as far north as I could go I headed back south, then turned east and headed for Nova Scotia and NewFoundland for some camping. It was enjoyable and NOT ONE DAY OF RAIN THE WHOLE TIME, coulda left the dry rider home and packed an extra pair of jeans or something.

NOTE: If you ever find yourself out in the middle of nowhere and decide to do your laundry in a nice stream make sure you get ALL the soap outta your skivvies. Otherwise you WILL pay for it later.
Working...
X