Berryman's fuel system cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berryman's fuel system cleaner

Anyone ever use this stuff in their m/c? I remember reading about someone dipping their carbs in it a while back, but the stuff I am refering to is an additive, along the same lines as Seafoam or Techron. I added some to the gas tank as per the directions, 1 cap per gallon. Shortly after I had to rebuild the petock as it started to leak out the nipple when I had the tank off. Is this just a coincedence, or is Berryman's very hostile towards the O-ring in the petcock?
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

One CAP per gallon? Seafoam is one ounce per gallon. Even then I don't add that kind of stuff if I'm not going to run the tank through on a single ride.

That sounds pretty aggressive.

Comment

Berryman's contents!!

Hey there Excessive one,
      Here's the poop on what's in Berryman's from their web pages, might answer your question:

Is there really a difference between Berryman's fuel additives and all the others I see at the auto parts store?

Yes. We formulate our products with the best fuel detergents on the market. These detergents are proven to address specific cleaning needs. Specific needs may be in cleaning fuel injectors, which require efficiency at high temperatures in comparison to carburetor cleaning which is not subjected to high temperatures.
      In addition to the detergent package selected we use "old fashioned" technology in selection of our carrier solvents. We seldom select anything but strong hydrocarbon solvents like acetone, methyl ethyl keytone, and xylene. These types of solvents help rid the fuel tank and lines of harmful deposits, which contribute to fuel flow deficiency and fuel injector plugging. You will rarely find competitive products with solvent cleaners.

The Berryman H.E.S.T. Test(High Energy Solvent Technology)

The Following list of solvents and their Solubility Parameter is provided to illustrate the difference in energy that solvents possess because of their different molecular structures. This parameter is measured in calories per centimeter (cal/cm.). The larger the value of Solubility Parameter, the greater energy the solvent has to dissolve gum, varnish and other fuel system and engine deposits.

Mineral spirits 6.9 cal/cm.
      Petroleum distillates 6.9 cal/cm.
      Acetone 9.9 cal/cm.
      Methanol 14.5 cal/cm.
      Methyl Ethyl Ketone 9.3 cal/cm.
      2-Butoxyethanol 9.5 cal/cm.
      Xylene 8.8 cal/cm.
      Hexane 7.3 cal/cm.
      Toluene 8.9 cal/cm.

You only have to compare labels to determine which fuel additive products contain H.E.S.T. The use of strong, high energy solvents, combined with state-of-the-art polymeric additive technology give Berryman Products a more complete combination of available chemical technologies. It provides the one, two, punch to knock out engine and fuel system deposits.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by JP
        One CAP per gallon? Seafoam is one ounce per gallon. Even then I don't add that kind of stuff if I'm not going to run the tank through on a single ride.

That sounds pretty aggressive.
        Not really. The cap is smaller than an ounce.. mentally comparing it to a shot glass, it's about half.
        Brian

Comment

Re: Berryman's contents!!

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
          Hey there Excessive one,
          Here's the poop on what's in Berryman's from their web pages, might answer your question:

Hey TC, quite a mixture there. Actually, ALL those chemicals are listed on the can. Think "B12 Chemdip" or something similar is actually part of the name. It does specifically say it is to be used as a fuel additive tho. Or an oil additive for that matter!! I would have assumed that a fuel additive would be safe for rubber/neoprene/??? components.
          Brian

Comment

If Berryman's B12 was any better, I'd use in my coffee! But as was posted earlier, I wouldn't put it in if I didn't run the tank out. Several of the chemicals listed can be harmful to anything if exposed long enough. With proper care and regular use of the bike, fuel system cleaners shouldn't be needed as most of todays fuels (I refuse to call it gasoline) have detergents in them.

Just my .02 worth

Comment

Working...
            X