Air Fork Balance kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Fork Balance kit

This is a neat little kit I found from Dennis Kirk to link the forks on my SG. It's true enough that you could make your own, but I thought for $25 it was worth avoiding the hassle. After working on Maximan's xj, I felt that this would bring me closer to having the toys that his bike has.
    http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...d=41606&mmyId=
    1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
    1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
    1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
    2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

That kit looks cool, but I'll bet the inflator won't fit under the bars, unless you use a riser. There is only 1/4 inch or so of clearence between the existing fork air valve caps, and the bottom of the bars. I needed to raise the forks up in the triple clamp in order for SWMBO to ride the 81XS11, and that's when I found the clearence problem. I was fortunate enough to have a set donated to the cause by a very generous member.
    Here is a link to the risers that I used.
    http://www.zianet.com/GenMar
    On the left side of the page, click on 7/8 bar style, 1inch up. 1 3/8 back. Those work great. A little pricey, though. Maybe you could find some locally, or on ebay.

Comment

I just had a look at mine. If they're small enough, they'll work. There isn't much room under the bars of my SG. The same angle will have to be maintained or it's hopeless.

Why don't one of y'all try it and report back.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Had to take the bars off to spin on the kit's caps, but no clearance issues after that. If you need to you can spin the forks in the clamps to get a better angle. It won't change anything. I was worried about that when I ordered the kit. But I did it anyway, and fortunately it worked. I like this kit because the air line is small and I could hide it in the forks better. My old mans G model has a link too, but the lines come out to a valve on the t-clamp behind the bars. Easy to use, but not really pretty. Anyway, I just like to share things like this so people know that stuff's available.
        1980sg-Stocker-- Sold

Comment

neat little kit but wont work for me since mine is a standard without air but it would work on my dads and my brothers bike since they bothe ave air ride on there bikes
          79 yamaha xs1100f standard
          best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Hello,
            i just picked up a kit too. Just wondering if you've had any issues with the kit. Any air leaks?

Thanks,
            1979 XS1100SF "Sakura Natsuhiboshi"

Comment

no leaks for me.
              1980sg-Stocker-- Sold

Comment

Mine is working too, slight air leak.
                Need to check it every couple of weeks.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Why? Why NOT. re air

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jetmechmarty
                  [B]I just had a look at mine. If they're small enough, they'll work. There isn't much room under the bars of my SG. The same angle will have to be maintained or it's hopeless.

Why don't one of y'all try it and report back.

Handling!
                  I do not want to increase, amplify, or exacerbate the bouncing wobble hinge dance when leaned over in a curve with an upset chassis.

When a shock or fork retracts, I want the air in it to compress, not be pushed to the other side pushing the opposite fork to extend. If straight, with equal pressure on both sides no problem having air in both forks connected. When leaned over, however, this pressure is not equal. The high side of the tire is not even touching the ground past center tread.

My HD roadking has one schrader valve to pump up both rear air shocks, sort of convenient, BUT
                  I talked with the HD factory service tech for Buell (who also owns a roadking) about ways to improve handling. He indicated that eliminating this connection and adding a second schrader valve for the second shock would be the BEST thing to improve handling, even beter than the $400 HD frame stiffening kit.

The HD FLHRI is not notorious for the "hinge dance" (there is no fork brace available). Even so, I have found it when leaned over in a curve hitting a bump or dip. Adding a second valve and seperating the air shocks is on my list of things to do.

I would not connect the air in my XS1100 if the kit was free and the installation very easy.

An accurate , quality, low volume, air pump with guage and bleeder valve is about $45. I recommend it for easy, safe, accurate, equal air pressure in shocks & forks.

:O oh!

"Why don't one of y'all try it and report back. "

Marty, Was that retorical?
                  It is a great big beautiful world out there
                  Brent in GA
                  Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

When a shock or fork retracts, I want the air in it to compress, not be pushed to the other side pushing the opposite fork to extend. If straight, with equal pressure on both sides no problem having air in both forks connected. When leaned over, however, this pressure is not equal. The high side of the tire is not even touching the ground past center tread.
                    This thinking makes no sense to me. The shocks CAN'T operate independantly since they are linked by a solid axle. If they moved seperately, it would allow the wheel to sway from side to side and rub fenders and discs would rub brakes since there's very little clearance there. It wouldn't matter if the tire were not even involved and all the pressure was placed on one fork... since it's all mounted together, it's still going to incorporate the other shock eually... unless the axle bolt gets wallowed out. That's the reason you'd WANT a linked system.. to let it keep the air equal between them and they would react the same.

On the back, the swingarm will let it go up and down, but prevent any twisting or right or left movement. I don't know about a Harley rear end though..

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig

This thinking makes no sense to me. The shocks CAN'T operate independantly since they are linked by a solid axle.

Todd, your reasoning here is sound, IF there is no flexing of the fork, axel, frame, swing arm etc. However it all flexes a little

If they moved seperately, it would allow the wheel to sway from side to side

it does Sway some, causing riders to call the unnerving wallowing an extra "hinge" in the bike. I believe it takes very little wobble to really upset handling.

and rub fenders and discs would rub brakes since there's very little clearance there. It wouldn't matter if the tire were not even involved and all the pressure was placed on one fork... since it's all mounted together, it's still going to incorporate the other shock eually... unless the axle bolt gets wallowed out.

There is the experiment...with the weight on one fork (by jacking it up) Does the wheel move sloightly to one side? do the forks compress exactly equally?

. That's the reason you'd WANT a linked system.. to let it keep the air equal between them and they would react the same.

Sure, I want the air equal when I fill the forks. But then I want to keep exactly the same air in each shock individually, not allowing the volume to vary side to sided as the different sides may encounter slightly different forces or weights on them.

Tkat says, "if you want to see how much it flexes, hold the wheel straignt between your knees & twist the handlebar & tripple tree." His braces help a lot to cut down on flex. Bike magazine editors were critical of V-max forks too "like spagetti" The new one is much stiffer, they say.

On the back, the swingarm will let it go up and down, but prevent any twisting or right or left movement. I don't know about a Harley rear end though..

I believe that the swing arm flexes & twist a little too.

Tod
                      'course if a fellow lived in OK on mostly straight roads and rode around with his front wheel in the ari most of the time..., then just a slight loss in lateral stiffness would not matter.

Happy motoring,
                      Brent in GA
                      It is a great big beautiful world out there
                      Brent in GA
                      Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Working...
                      X