Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XS11 Coil Replacement - A reasonably priced alternative to Dyna Coils.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 Coil Replacement - A reasonably priced alternative to Dyna Coils.....

XS11 Friends,

Earlier this week I needed to pull the carbs on my "Dead Duck" 1981 Custom. The bike had been sitting a while and the carbs were adversely effected. The bike ran like poo poo at low RPM. While I was in there, I decided it was time to toss the 41 year old coils in favor of a new and certainly more reliable set (all my other XS11's have been upgraded to DynaCoils). The last time I checked resistance on these coils they were marginal.

I called LEN over at XJBikes.com to place an order for another Dyna kit, Len mentioned he had recently added a more reasonably priced alternative to the Dyna set-up. The alternative is very similar to the OEM set-up with a minor variation (orientation of the wire terminals). I decided to give this option a whirl, at ~$100 LESS THAN the Dyna Coil set-up it's certainly more budget friendly.

The coils came all set-up for my '81 with the appropriate 2-prong connector. I requested the YELLOW wires to compliment the "CUSTOM" look of this Gold bike. Kinda reminds one of the "Accel" wires we put on our hot rods back in the day. Len has several wire color options which obviously include black for those interested in the stock look.

The only minor difficulty I had was negotiating the bracket for the frame cover. Not a real issue just took a little wiggling and pulling the wire off and then replacing it once the coils were bolted in properly.

As always, LEN's parts all come with detailed instructions any novice could follow with ease. I understand coil sets for the earlier models come set-up with the Bullet Connectors vs. the 2-Prong connector used on the '81.

Highly recommended! At ~$140 for the kit (plus a small shipping fee), this is a very reasonable solution to aged and marginal OEM coils.

Sincerely,
    KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Thanks for posting this info along with the details, pics and opinions. The instruction sheets and his willingness to answer questions can make a lot of these repairs something a novice can do.That's also a significiant amount of money saved that could be used for other bike projects, I mean home projects.....

Comment

Working...
    X