Alumaloy - Aluminum Repair no welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alumaloy - Aluminum Repair no welding

Alumaloy - re-form, repair aluminum without welding. Works like soldering.

Hey, have any of you seen the demo of this product? I saw am infomercial this weekend and I have yo say that what I saw was absolutely miraculous. This stuff melts at 760 degres or so, with a propane torch and it cools harder than aluminum. No flux, no welding and you can use it to re-make broken parts or seal cracks and holes in aluminum.

This stuff would be graet for float post reconstruction, or a cracked case. etc.

Has anyone tried it yet? Here is the web site:

Alumaloy web site

Randy

tried it once

the guy came in our shop welding up soda cans,i must be the stupidest person on earth though,i tried it but to no avail on some pot metal,followed directions to a tee. Did not care for it. But i did not give it another chance either.
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Sounds like the same kind of brazing product as Dura Fix . Looks like there is alot of emphasis on surface prep under heat, proper tinning, then more surface prep, all the whle making sure you don't start melting the base material i.e. maybe not all that simple after all...
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Regarding heating aluminum to hi temps.....
        I broke a carb post once. Took the carb to a reputable metal worker (propeller repair shop) and he wouldn't touch trying to rebuild it. He said that trying to heat up the aluminum carb enough to make the repair might result ending up with a big puddle of the metal (formerly a carb) on the workbench! Apparently happened to him once when attempting to repair a boat motor carb. Some riders seem to have had it done successfully however. Just one opinion. I repaired my broken post using the implant method. Machinist reworked a brass screw into a new post and drilled and tapped it into the base of the broken post. Works great.
        Dennis

Comment

Working...
        X