Harbor Freight tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight tools

I normally hate to go to the stores. But yesterday I went to the local one and once I walked in I thought, WOW! They don't carry high end tools, but for the backyard mechanic, the prices were good.

So I picked up a few things there. Some of the good deals are better on the website. Some of the sales they show on the website are lower than in the store.

mechanic stethescope, $3
    dual (high/low) 12v electric horns, $15
    tourque wrench socket driver, $20

Of the web site, they have a lot more items. I ordered the impact driver ($7) and some other things so the total came to just over $50 so it included free shipping.

They also carry a lot of garden tools as well as other things for around the house and some automotive stuff.

I also got a basin wrench that Home Depot wanted $28 for and it was $8 at this place.

I also found some discounts available:
    1)Free shipping AND $5off on 39.99+, Expires Sept 1, 2004. Mention Catalog code "BMD" or Coupon Number 839-531-514.
    (2)Free shipping AND $5off on 39.99+, Expires Nov 1, 2004. Mention Catalog code "CXK" or Coupon# 428-397-181.
    (3)Online/offline coupon: Code 284-853-144 gets you a free 10-pack Sanding Sponges (Item 46752-6YJD) with 39.99+. Expires Aug 1, 04.
    (4)Online/offline coupon: Code 181-883-857 gets you a free 1"x 15' Ratchet Tie Down (Item 47708-6YJC) with 39.99+. Expires Aug 1, 04.
    (5) 466-182-571 Free shipping over $39.99 and free duffel (value $19.99)

Jsut thought if anyone is looking for good price on tools, they may want to check this place out.
    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

If you print out a price from the web site, they will honor it in the store. You don't have to worry about shipping then.
    The only known XJ1100 Interstate

Comment

I thought about that. They also do not carry everything in the store that is on the website. They charge a handling fee on every order of $5.95. Shipping cost is not bad especcialy if you use a coupon or go over $50.

The rack, lawnmower cover and the impact driver for example that I got off the web site was not sold in the store. Otherwise I would have got it there.

What is also nice is that I was not charged for tax and I used the coupon for the free duffel. So the tax versus the handling cost was about the same plus I got the duffel.
      Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

They also sell quality tools there. I've bought a few of my Ingersol Rand air tools there. Also Stanley Tools, Vise Grip brand pliers, and clamps. I have been shopping H F Tools for many years. Spent a lot, saved a lot. They have 3 stores in this area...damn them... Has anybody everheard of maxxtools.com? Great prices on Ingersol Rand air tools. Bought some there, also.

Comment

Harbor Freight is a great place to find good deals on the small quantity of name branded tools that they carry but you have to watch out for their "house branded" tools in the Chicago Electric, Central Pneumatic and Pittsburg lines. They are pretty much the cheapest of the cheap when it comes to construction. I've seen instances of their electric power tools catching fire. For the money, they are great if you need a particular tool for only a job or two but they will not hold up to any regular use. A lot of the specialty type tools such as gear pullers and such I have purchased there lasted long enough to get a single job done. They are pretty much the same quality as imported tools found new at most flea markets.
          1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

Harbor Freight Tools

I agree with the rest. I have used Harbor Freight to outfit 90% of my shop. There's one locally in the Atlanta area that I use and I have yet to have a problem with them or the tools. I bought a large air compressor from there over a year ago and it gets a good workout and has yet to fail me.
            "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Comment

Yes, Harbour Freight can be a godsend for the home mechanic, provided he knows what he's getting. The reasons the prices are so cheap is because the product is equally so. Now... this isn't to say that my garage isn't filled with their stuff, nor my mailbox stuffed with their fliers, I just have to be careful on what I spend my money on, as we all do. The $19.95 battery charger, or the $4.95 volt meter... I have used for years. Just never buy what I call "critical stress" tools from them. Forget the screwdrivers, wrenchs or sockets, even the Air Impact ones. They're not even strong enough to strip the heads on bolts, preferring only to strip and crack themselves. I could go on and on, but I wont. Again, it is a great store for the little things that you need, but nothing for when you need a tool to "perform, or else!"
              Of the big three(Snap on, Mac, and Craftsman), Craftsman is the least expensive, and the better value, as I see it. In thirty years of turning wrenches, I've only busted one socket, and that was with the help of a breaker bar and a four foot section of pipe attached. Got in the car, drove to Sears, exchanged the old for new and was back in business in twenty minutes. (can't do that with Snap On or Mac) Yes, Harbor Freight replaces free, too, but with the same crappy quality that screwed up in the first place. Harbor Freight has it's place in my garage... just be aware that some bargains aren't real bargains when you get down to it.
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Harbor Freight sells S-K tools. S-K is among the finest tools available. I particularly like S-K's 1/4 drive ratchet. These tools have a lifetime warrantee.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

have bought many tools from them. no problems so far. i have their1/2 drive impact socket set in sae and use them freqently on my matco 1/2 composite impact 700ft lbs and haven't broken one yet.
                  when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
                  80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Working...
                  X