Oil pessure gauge install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pessure gauge install

Recently I installed an oil pressure gauge on the ol' XS. Pretty cheep too. Pull the oil sending unit and install a cast "T" fitting.
    ( You'll have to take the oil sending unit to the store with you match up th size of the threads ). As your sitting on the bike looking down, Install the oil sending unit to the left side of the "T" fitting. Come off of the right side of the "T" with 1/8 in tubing. this will run to an oil pressure gauge. ( I had used pvc tubing before but found the copper works better ) I mounted my gauge to the inside right of my windjammer fairing. To secure the tubing to the "T" and the gauge, I used brass wedding band type fittings. I ran a light bulb fitting wires (that came with my gauge) through the fairing via a hole drilled under the gauge mount. Ran the 2 wires to a splice in the wireing harness in my fairing. ( found a hot and a ground at the headlamp part of the harness ) The copper tubing runs between the #3 and #4 intake boots. You'll want to route the tubing to where it will not get a hole vibrated though it so use care and take your time. My tubeing runs along the frame rails, under the plastic frame head piece then has a small loop before it hits the gauge. ( you'll want to leave room for expansion ) . to keep the copper from rubbing against the frame, I simply wraped it with elect tape several times at the spots where it would be fastened to the frame via the stock wire harness straps. This was a very good upgrade cauz I don't and never will trust an idiot light. By the time the light comes on your motor's probably toast. If I can get the photo thing working I'll post some pics of mine.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

oil pressure gauge continued

Here are some pics of the oil pressure gauge that I installed on MIYAMI, Hopefully they make the trip.

Good luck if you decide to do this upgrade. All of the stuff that I used was bought at the local hardware and autoparts store. Total invested, around $25.00
    S.R.Czekus

1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Oil Pressure Guage

Czekus, I did a similar installation about 3 years ago on Ratbyk. No problems since with lots of piece of mind. I used the plastic line though not the copper. Again secured well throughout the line travel. I know that the small copper line over time will, "work harden". Once copper line work hardens it will fracture very easily. I know that the plastic has it's short comings as well. I just felt that with the vibrations on a bike that the plastic would be safer over the long haul. I definitely avoided any tight bends or any hot spots. Lots of luck with your installation. I do not have a fairing. I mounted my guage on the handle bars with a stainless hose clamp. I have seen other installations where they mounted the guage down low and avoided running a long (vulnerable line).
      Ken/Sooke

Comment

I did the same a couple of months ago only I used an electronic oil pressure gauge. Sending unit is larger that the mechanical (tube) type but I know I won't pinch or break a hose this way. It is wired through the Pacifico connector so it unplugs when the fairing is removed (summer time) and no need to mess with the tube.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

My factory mounted VDO sending unit and gauge was a POS so I replaced them with a machanical presure set found at a local auto parts store. The gauge and fitting line set are made by VDO but not hard to mount using fittings found at a local hardware store. I simply mounted a t-fitting into the factory oil cooler feed line. That way I get a true reading directly from the oil pump before the oil even enters the oil filter. I am even thinking of mounting a temp sensor on the oposit line to see what the cooled oil temps are going into the motor.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/06692857F14149C
          Bubba1954
          (aka) Shannon Koehn
          Hutchinson, KS
          http://www.fototime.com/inv/0EE87CEC5C8C774

Comment

observed oil pressure

what are you guys seeing for oil pressure?

when my bike was fully warmed up, at idle it would only show about 2 psi

Comment

The engine is putting out 65-70 lbs at hwy speeds and 20 lbs at an idle when fully warmed up. The electronic gauge that I had would only show about 5lbs at best and 20 lbs on the hwy. What a POS it was. Seems that many folks with the electronic VDO has had similar readings too.
              Bubba1954
              (aka) Shannon Koehn
              Hutchinson, KS

Comment

Mine is showing 65 psi when cold at aprox 1500 rpm. After warm, at idle shows 25 psi 60 mph shows around 45 psi. This does sound a little low but this reading is fine with me. All I wanted when installing this is to know if I had oil pressure without having to rely on a light.
                S.R.Czekus

1-big XS patch
                1-small XS/XJ patch
                1-XS/XJ owners pin.

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I would not worry about the 45 lb hwy preasure. The difference is probably due to the cooling effect on the viscosity level when running an oil cooler on mine.

I got even higher readings when I briefly tried Mobil Red Cap 20w50 synthetic oil out, but everyone here said that it would ruen my starter clutch so I went back to 10w40 dyno oil.

Damn starter clutch in inside the cases - wanted nothing to do with changing one out.
                  Bubba1954
                  (aka) Shannon Koehn
                  Hutchinson, KS

Comment

Ratbyk Oil Pressure

Cold, 40 to 50 PSI dependent on RPM. Hot, 20 to 45 PSI dependent on RPM. Before I put an oil cooler on it it was dropping down to 8-10 at idle on a hot day. Have not seen pressures that low since cooler installation. I have also dropped back from 20-50 to 20-40 oil since the cooler went on.
                    I would expect that the variations we are seeing between the bikes may be just variations in what the different guages are recording.
                    Ken/Sooke

Comment

Cruising speed cold(ish) 70psi, warm 60psi.
                      Idle cold 50psi, warm 30psi, really hot day (100 deg +) idleing at a long red light 10 psi.
                      Suntune (inexpensive) gauge. I may upgrade to Autometer.
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                      X