Emergency Tire Repair Kit - ThumbUp Brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ride ON ROcks

HOwdy fellow XSives,,,after talking about flats with Motoman, he convinced me a few Colorado rallies back about this Ride On sealer, balancer and since then have put on approx,,,,20000 miles total on my three bikes and can honestly say it works great,,,deserts, long interstates, twisties, two up,,etc

First bike I put it in, the xj needed tires anyway, and noticed the dealer had a 50 gallon drum of the Ride On,,,,must be $$$$$$ they spent for that, but they use it in all the tires, as each tire uses 8 oz, and is about 10.00,,,,anyway, noticed right away,,,,MUCH SMOOTHER BALANCE, even with my cheapo, but decent Shinkos, which I think contributes to being cooler as the lateral motion of the tire is reduced causing less friction and heat,,,tires lasted longer also,,,,cheap Shinko, usually 6000 rear got about 9000 miles with the Ride On,,,,other bikes similar, so

much smoother ride, peace of mind knowing no flats or blowouts at speed, cannot say if I have had any leaks since using Ride On, havent had any, so MotoMan has recommended a good product. I did have a blowout on my sons xs 400, but he didnt have Ride on,,,I used a plugger and about 10 miles down the road the plug blew out,,,,replugged and got it home then off to the local shop for a new tire,,,as I feel any motorcycle tire that is plugged or patched is just waiting to blow at the worst time, So Ride On for my 2 wheel steeds, Amazon or Ebay for good prices,,,dealers way over markup the stuff,,,,,Ride On,,,,Mike in Sun DIego
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

Thanks for the perspective Brant and Mike, always able as an old dog to learn a new trick!
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Yes, RideOn's good stuff but I do my own tires and I did not like the mess.
        Maybe I'm missing out on something. Hmm.

Glue plugs are good if you put 'em in right but won't work with a sealer because the glue won't stick.
        Sealer plus Stop n Go's glueless plugs would be a belt-and-suspenders combo temporary repair but any tire with a hole in it is dead, it's an ex tire and it's not pining to pass the Fords.
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Ride-On balancing

Brant, I need to recant and apologize and eat some crow. Received an email response from Ride-On with respect to their recommendation to dynamically balance car tires first but not motorcycle tires. Here it is below.

"Hello Howard,
          I hope you had a good Memorial Day weekend. It never hurts to balance your tires first before installing Ride-On. That helps you troubleshoot and identify tires that are calling for excessive wheel weights, and have lateral or radial run outs that are out of spec. Because of the suspension setup of cars versus motorcycles it makes them much more sensitive to any such issues, we highly recommend that for cars. Motorcycles are a lot more forgiving.

Best regards,

Mark M. Farkhan"

Or maybe I should just open mouth and insert size 15 foot... .
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I do believe that you had it right the first time and got a bit of Farkhan smoke blown at your backside, Bonz, no crow needed.

We've all seen if not driven! cars and trucks with wheels that vibrate, hop, skip, jump and wobble rolling down the road.

If a motorcycle wheel did anything close to that then you would not be able to ride with it no matter how much liquid product was poured into the wheel.

"Motorcycles are a lot more forgiving."
            When was the last time you had a car leaned over at fun-speed in a sweeper with that tiny contact patch?
            -- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Maybe it is because car suspension has camber, toe, caster. Add those elements and the width of a car tire rim that could be off balance toward the inside or toward the outside. I'm just speculating and thinking outside the proverbial box.

Motorcycle suspension pretty much works up and down and doesn't have the other factors added in.

That's my thinking on their rationale based on the explanation weather it is wholly accurate or not.
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I've never had a problem driving or cornering a car or truck because the tires weren't properly balanced for its sensitive suspension.

On the gripping hand: man and machine are part of the suspension with motorcycles.
                I know I have to stop myself from trying to lean in corners when I'm in a car or truck even if someone else is driving.

Apropos of nothing: I've been having fun watching "Farscape" to pass the time.
                It's a lot better -- and a lot worse! -- than I remember from when it was originally broadcast but I had a life back then so I didn't get to see all of the episodes.
                -- Scott
                _____

Comment

Working...
                X