New Scorpion ST1400 Carbon helmet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scorpion ST1400 Carbon helmet.

I picked up a new Scorpion ST1400 Carbon helmet (XXL size) in mid-February. I have just over 200 miles of riding now over the past couple weeks and it's a great helmet. It's replacing the Shoei Qwest that I've worn for six or seven seasons now.

Noticeably lighter than the Shoei Qwest in XXL (by about 10 ounces, not a small amount!), vey quiet (although I wear earplugs at all times) and comes with an extra pinlock face shield as well as a pinlock insert. It has an internal drop down sun visor that will come in handy at times, although I wear prescription sunglasses most of the time and try to away from much night riding.

The Scorpion helmet flows air wonderfully through the vents and the face shield has a number of dentents to crack it open or open it partially as needed and the shield stays where you put it.

It has an AirFit feature that you can pump up to snug up the cheek pads if needed. My big head doesn't need it, but it allows for great customization and a super seal around the bottom edge of the helmet for guys that would use it to snug up the fit and keep wind noise away. I can see it possibly being handy down the road as the cheek pads break in in order to maintain that like-new snugness on my head.

As a note, it does fit a half size to full-size tighter than my old Shoei Qwest did when new. However I have come to realize a tighter fit to begin with is worth a more snug fit down the line after it breaks in from some use.

There was so much value in this helmet and its accessories that replacing my trusty Shoei Qwest with the new Shoei RF-SR or the still available but discontinued Shoei GT Air (same prices as the Scorpion) just seemed like it was worth a try to go with the Scorpion. I am not disappointed.

For as much riding as I do, the lighter weight is much appreciated and quality fit-and-finish will hold up for years to come.

I can definitely recommend this helmet and look forward to the riding months to come!
    Last edited by Bonz; 03-20-2020, 08:50 PM.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Hey Howard- I replaced my Arai Signet GT with a Scorpion Exo GT3000. It's not that great of a helmet. Had a bad air leak reported across all users, the lining doesn't hold in-place, etc.

Next helmet will probs be snother Shoei.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Hi Ian, to be clear, the ST1400 Carbon is NOT a modular helmet. I don't think you were implying that but I don't want anyone to somehow get that impression.

There's no comparison to be made there. Different beasts altogether.

I'm sorry to hear the modular full face helmet didn't work out. I have contemplated them but for the same reasons I will not get one. Not questioning their safety which I know comes up in discussions, but the extra moving parts and seals only invite problems just as you described.

My buddy Merlin who came to the Colorado rally last year had a modular helmet that he replaced right before the rally for the same reasons.

A person won't have that problem with the ST1400 or any other standard full face helmet because the parts don't exist for there to be a problem.

Can't go wrong with a Shoei, I've worn one for the past six or seven seasons. The main differences aside from the value-added accessories with the Scorpion is the lighter weight. It is a definite difference and I love it.
      Last edited by Bonz; 03-21-2020, 08:19 AM.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

One thing to add on a positive note: the Scorpion has the best sun visor on the market, imo.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

You've peaked my interest with this helmet. I love having a modular helmet, but am now questioning if I really need one.
          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Good deal! Try it on and compare to others you are considering if there's a local dealer around. Otherwise most online stores have free returns and you can swap the helmet out for another one if needed.

One guy's treasure can be another guy's trash, but I like this helmet enough to post up and share it with you guys.
            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Update:

With well over a month of riding and many rides each week, this helmet is finally breaking in and becoming a comfortable part of my riding gear.

I've never started with a helmet that felt this snug. However I now believe the mantra it is best to start with a helmet that is on the snug side and gives you chipmunk cheeks because it will conform and become the safest helmet possible.

The standard face shield has an anti fog coating that Scorpion uses. Thus far on cool days I have had no fogging issues when I can tell the face shield would fog if I was wearing another helmet.

I found the best use for the drop-down sun visor is to partially lower it to block the sun, as I wear prescription sunglasses. Just like flipping down the sun visor to the best position on your car when driving into the sun.

Very impressed with the airflow/ventilation this helmet provides, and the lightweight aspect of this helmet cannot be emphasized enough for riding comfort.

I do not use the AirFit system as the helmet is fitting very well as it is as it is breaking in. I can see if the cheek pads become loose the air fit system will easily adjust for this and keep the helmet fitting properly for a long time.

Anybody in the market for a good solid helmet that has lot of features for a great price should consider this one!
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
              X