X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS/XJ Engine Guards

Thought i'd pass this along in case anybody is looking for Engine Guards:

Just finished installing Engine Guards on my XS1100
    After searching quite awhile for a nice set of engine guards all I was able to find was rusty dinged up junk I would never want on my bike.
    Got these from XJ4Ever.

Real nice Kit with everything needed. Really nice guards and easy to install.

FWIW, I am very pleased with these ………………..

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Nice

Jeff nice find they look Great!!!
    82 XJ1100J
    81 Venturer
    Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoaster View Post
      Jeff nice find they look Great!!!
      Hardly a find! Just go over to XJ4ever.com and buy yourself a set. Show the man that our community is worth providing with parts. Everything I've purchased there has been absolutely first rate! No junk!
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Guards

Looks like an improvement over ones from the past. Earlier versions were reported to bend into the side covers. These appear to have addressed that issue.
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Whoa, they look nice! I need some, just have decide if I'm strong enough emotionally to withstand all the "too bad your bike isn't as shiny as your engine guards are" comments!
          Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
            Looks like an improvement over ones from the past. Earlier versions were reported to bend into the side covers. These appear to have addressed that issue.
            That particular version is identical to version that came on my bought new Venturer from the factory.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
              Whoa, they look nice! I need some, just have decide if I'm strong enough emotionally to withstand all the "too bad your bike isn't as shiny as your engine guards are" comments!
              Billy, yeah Go for It
              These guards are really very nice. Plus your bike is in much better shape than this E. Photo is installed guards on my 78E that I got in Big Rapids Michigan (a few years ago) and of course there is more than some corrosion on the bike.

I can only dream of the bike being as shiny as the engine guards. This E never had engine guards and since my wrecks (thankfully) seem to be garage tip overs the guards are nice to have. Plus I figure that with shiny engine guards and shiny shocks that i'm getting this E about as shiny as I want. I don't mind it if I get any ridicule. You know I'm the guy that rode my other E for a couple years with sealed beam headlight wrapped in rabbit wire and affixed with zip ties. Attended a couple of rallies that way too. Took some abuse because it did look awful. Looked like POS but tough to keep up behind me sort of thing. Recall you were there.

Yeah, Go for It. If you have nasty beat up engine guards or none at all then a set of these would be perfect. EZ to contact Len and get a set headed your way.

I'm thinking Motoman is right. I think the design Len used for his new engine guards is nearly the same as those on the Venturer. Limited on curves and bends to get from Bolt A to Bolt B and be in front of the case. Probably within an MM or two from the original factory Venturer guard. Possibly clearances are maybe even a bit better with these new ones.

Jeff
              Last edited by JeffH; 01-16-2020, 03:31 PM.
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

The 3 point guards is all I'll install. They will still bend into the engine in a crash but they've never damaged a cover...………….so far.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                  Billy, yeah Go for It
                  These guards are really very nice. Plus your bike is in much better shape than this E. Photo is installed guards on my 78E that I got in Big Rapids Michigan (a few years ago) and of course there is more than some corrosion on the bike.

I can only dream of the bike being as shiny as the engine guards. This E never had engine guards and since my wrecks (thankfully) seem to be garage tip overs the guards are nice to have. Plus I figure that with shiny engine guards and shiny shocks that i'm getting this E about as shiny as I want. I don't mind it if I get any ridicule. You know I'm the guy that rode my other E for a couple years with sealed beam headlight wrapped in rabbit wire and affixed with zip ties. Attended a couple of rallies that way too. Took some abuse because it did look awful. Looked like POS but tough to keep up behind me sort of thing. Recall you were there.

Yeah, Go for It. If you have nasty beat up engine guards or none at all then a set of these would be perfect. EZ to contact Len and get a set headed your way.

I'm thinking Motoman is right. I think the design Len used for his new engine guards is nearly the same as those on the Venturer. Limited on curves and bends to get from Bolt A to Bolt B and be in front of the case. Probably within an MM or two from the original factory Venturer guard. Possibly clearances are maybe even a bit better with these new ones.

Jeff
                  Yeppers Jeff...….close to the same. The original ones on my Venturer are outward a bit more from engine side-covers. The name on them still shows a bit if the light hits them right, just don't remember at the moment what that would be. IIRC, the ones used on a variety of Specials are closer to engine covers like the ones you have installed. Those USED to be available for some time from Yamaha Accessories, but NA now to be sure.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

That's strange, my Venturer engine guards have 2 point mounting:

Same as the picture in the Venturer ad:

-Mike
                    _________
                    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Vertical portion of case guards makes for excellent location of road pegs. Have had them on my Venturer for nearly 39yrs. now. Makes for a nice change on a LD ride, plus the leg weight being more forward stabilizes bike more with heavy cross-winds.

Comment

What an improvement!!!

XS11 Folks,
                        Thanks to Jeff's work and recommendations for these I acquired a set for my primary & favorite XS11 Special (The Ugly Duck [Green One]).

I hadn't realized just how terrible NASTY the guards I had installed were.

The directions are so good anyone without the least idea of what to do could mount these easily. In addition, every possible nut or bolt needed is included in this ABSOLUTELY 100% COMPLETE "KIT".

I mount aux driving lamps (SEE ME LIGHTS) on all my XS11's and they mounted up nice on these guards. Although I don't do any "long" rides on my XS11's highway pegs would also mount nicely to these.

As usual, very very happy with these and everything I have ever purchased from XJ4EVER.com / Len. Don't let the website mainline (XJ) fool you, he provides parts for most every Yamaha and offers MANY items for our XS11's.

Sincerely,
                        Kurt Boehringer
                        Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                        1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                        1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                        1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                        1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                        1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                        1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                        1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max