9 Plate Clutch (adding a plate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 Plate Clutch (adding a plate)

Over on XS650.com, they're putting together a package to add a plate to the clutch. This due chronic slipping. With the thinner plates, they're racing, even side car racing. XS650 and XS1100 friction plates are the same.

They need a guinea pig with an XS1100 to try this.

Also, is there any interest? These plates have to be manufactured and come from Europe. They need help with how many to order. Alto is the company.

See the thread at XS650.com:
    http://www.xs650.com/threads/interes...ersions.56486/

If you want to we the guinea pig, go there and sign in.
    YES. Sign me up!
    0.00%
    NO. I couldn't care less.
    100.00%

The poll is expired.

Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

I'm more curious to know how this would differ versus modern Barnett clutch springs and frictions?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

On the XS650, they go from six plates to seven. That’s 15% increase in clutch surface area. It will amount to less in the XS1100, but still an increase, which if it works, should bring improvement in grip.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I have been doing that for years, adding an extra steel to the clutch pack on mine and my friends XS's. Has never slipped on any of our bikes even with older standard duty springs.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          I have been doing that for years, adding an extra steel to the clutch pack on mine and my friends XS's. Has never slipped on any of our bikes even with older standard duty springs.
          This is additional friction. If there is no interest, the project will go on without the XS1100 community. It is just an opportunity if there is any need. If no response here, I'll simply pass it along.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Someone on here awhile back has done this mod with the Alto frictions and I believe it worked just fine. I did not read the thread carefully before, sorry.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

It was JustJeff that did the mod.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

If you're reading this in January 2020 and you're not a forum member, but interested in a more robust clutch, go to XS650.com.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/interes...ersions.56486/

Meanwhile, I'll let them know there's no interest from this community. Maybe we can try again if this thing comes back.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

The clutch works just fine with the Barnett springs and the proper engine oil.

I've seen people put in an extra steel to try and cure slippage but it never worked right.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    The clutch works just fine with the Barnett springs and the proper engine oil.

I've seen people put in an extra steel to try and cure slippage but it never worked right.
                    ……..have seen similar results of others.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      ……..have seen similar results of others.
                      This is not about an extra steel. It's an extra pair. No matter, I reported back, no interest here. No need to debate it.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Working...
                      X