Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colortune

All I can say is WOW!
    What a game changer. For those of us who are not super guru carb experts with incredible hearing, these things make getting your carbs close to spot on achievable.
    Instant diagnosis of rich or lean, adjust either way and you're done. The days of mucking around endlessly with carb settings are gone for me.
    $60 including shipping to my door is a fantastic investment for the time, effort and heartache this thing has aleiviated.
    I have found that it is also a good tool for learning (for me anyway) giving me a visual representation of what different inputs do.
    Recommended highly.
    1982 XS1100RH
    1982 KLX250B

Originally posted by Fields11789 View Post
    All I can say is WOW!
    What a game changer. For those of us who are not super guru carb experts with incredible hearing, these things make getting your carbs close to spot on achievable.
    Instant diagnosis of rich or lean, adjust either way and you're done. The days of mucking around endlessly with carb settings are gone for me.
    $60 including shipping to my door is a fantastic investment for the time, effort and heartache this thing has aleiviated.
    I have found that it is also a good tool for learning (for me anyway) giving me a visual representation of what different inputs do.
    Recommended highly.
    I actually have a complete 180 opinion of it. A complete waste of my time and money. From my understanding, the flame on these bikes are not supposed to be the bunson blue that they recommend in the book.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
      I actually have a complete 180 opinion of it. A complete waste of my time and money. From my understanding, the flame on these bikes are not supposed to be the bunson blue that they recommend in the book.
      Agreed about the flame. I found mine liked it a touch richer than recommended by Colortune. Beauty of it is, I now know that and figured it out myself in less than half an hour.
      What I'm saying is that for novice tuners it takes a lot of the guess work out and makes working out problems yourself pretty easy.
      You can sit reading countless pages of opinions and diagnosis of rich v lean conditions to no avail. I found that with limited experience in carb tuning these symptoms can mimic each other making DIY frustrating, time consuming and detrimental to your pride and joy.
      If nothing else it points you in the right direction pretty much immediately.
      Yeah, maybe it's not for everyone but for me it's a game changer.
      1982 XS1100RH
      1982 KLX250B

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
        A huge +1!.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

BTW, bunson blue is WAY to rich.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Fields11789 View Post
            Agreed about the flame. I found mine liked it a touch richer than recommended by Colortune. Beauty of it is, I now know that and figured it out myself in less than half an hour.
            What I'm saying is that for novice tuners it takes a lot of the guess work out and makes working out problems yourself pretty easy.
            You can sit reading countless pages of opinions and diagnosis of rich v lean conditions to no avail. I found that with limited experience in carb tuning these symptoms can mimic each other making DIY frustrating, time consuming and detrimental to your pride and joy.
            If nothing else it points you in the right direction pretty much immediately.
            Yeah, maybe it's not for everyone but for me it's a game changer.
            Color while firing is all good..............only if RUNNING fuel levels(not actual float levels) in float bowls are correct.

Comment

Curious

Despite the disparaging reactions for Ian and Brant, I am curious about Colortune.

I have tried again and again to set my idle mixture by RPM drop and by vacuum measurement, but I don't observe any reaction at all when I adjust the idle mixture screws.

I'm still counting turns.

Does Colortune work at idle speed?
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

It will work with any speed, it is basically a makeshift spark plug with a clear window to observe spark color. For higher than idle RPM, I would only rev it for a few short seconds as the plug will overheat and start to melt if not careful, DAMHIK. It works ok (for me) with hotter aftermarket coils and not so well with weaker factory coils, YMMV
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                  Despite the disparaging reactions for Ian and Brant, I am curious about Colortune.

I have tried again and again to set my idle mixture by RPM drop and by vacuum measurement, but I don't observe any reaction at all when I adjust the idle mixture screws.

I'm still counting turns.

Does Colortune work at idle speed?
                  Ur more than welcome to use mine Mike. It's in some corner of one of my storage garage.
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Thanks!

Sounds like a good excuse for a Saturday morning ride when the weather become suitable.

BikerPhil's remark might be a relevant consideration for me- I have the stock coils.
                    -Mike
                    _________
                    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Working...
                    X