Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berryman's Chem-Dip Carb & Parts Cleaner

XS11 Friends,
    I purchased the rather expensive "Berryman's Chem-Dip" from Autozone. The 96oz. can with its parts basket is about $27.00.

Before and after Berryman's cleaning comparisons

The results speak for themselves, SEE PHOTOS. I'm working on the carbs from my "Parts Donor" '79 SF taking them apart one-at-a-time and thoroughly cleaning each before I start on the next one. I basically completely strip the carbs to the bare body and set them in the Berryman's for several hours or even overnight. The #3 of this set was in overnight and there is not evidence of discoloration or any other harm.

After removal from the Berryman's I lightly brush and rinse these in a mixture of Dawn dish liquid and water and blow them dry with a little compressed air.

These carbs showed absolutely no signs of ever being removed from the bike. No witness marks on the boot clamps, bowl or cap screws, or the jets. It also does not appear that the PO had ever attempted any sort of cleaning of this machine's engine or sub components in 37 years. However, it does appear he ran the carbs dry (or drained them) as the insides were not nearly as bad as I had expected. The Berryman's is making short easy work of cleaning these carbs.

I believe you could buy three dozen cans of carb cleaner and could not do the same quality work as is happening with this Berryman's.

I vote for Berryman's as a indispensable product if you're cleaning up some nasty carbs.

Sincerely,
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Xylene

I looked for it last winter but its not available in Canada anymore (at least not that I found)

So I had to resort to the spray cans of carb cleaner for that initial cleaning. Then used acetone which gets rid of the gum and varnish but you have to limit the aluminum exposure or it will discolour and is not friendly to rubber, only on bare carb and metal bits. Great for cleaning the brass jets.

Key ingredients in Berrymans are xylene and alchohols. Xylene is probably the thing they don't want consumers handling, but in my opinion the spray can just atomizes it and you end up inhaling if you don't have a really good face mask, so its probably worse for you.

Thanks for sharing, I like your little brushes! Where did you get them?

Think next time I go to the US I'll pick up a can, but will be careful handling it.

From the web:

There are damaging health effects for people exposed to xylene. Neurological effects may be experienced, such as headaches, dizziness, lack of coordination, and confusion. The eyes may also become irritated and some people may have problems breathing, a slow reaction time, and memory failure. If a person inhales a high level of the chemical, it may cause death. It is considered a narcotic, but it is not a controlled substance.
    Last edited by dbbrian; 11-26-2016, 11:16 AM.
    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

The Berrymans works well but doesn't last. Loses it's potency after a few months of use. Starts turning aluminum black.

BTW.......it's cheaper at Wally World.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Paint Gun Cleaning Brushes.....

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
        I like your little brushes! Where did you get them?
        Brian,

Sorry to hear you can't get this in Canada. I would believe you are correct this would seem less dangerous than aerosol cans.

I believe the little brushes were from HarborCrapFreight. They are actually brushes used for cleaning paint guns and are only about $2. They are on a display near the paint guns and work exceptionally well for cleaning the misc. carb parts and hard to reach places.

I also use a welding tip cleaning set (blue kit in picture). However, EXTREME care must be exercised with these as they are like little mini round files. They will remove material from jets if used aggressively and obviously change the orifices in the jets. I will use one SEVERAL sizes smaller that the hole I'm trying to clean just to break loose a hard clog then go with the nylon brush or spray cleaner. I am certain folks could ruin jets with these!

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        The Berrymans works well but doesn't last. Loses it's potency after a few months of use. Starts turning aluminum black.
        You are absolutely correct, I've been using this first can for a while and have cleaned several sets of XS11 carbs. It seems to need a good bit more time for each subsequent set of carbs as it's losing its "KICK". The liquid is also quite "muddy" now after a few uses as dirt & grime seem to stay in suspension and not fall or settle out of it.

Regardless, I got my money worth from this can.

Sincerely,
        Kurt Boehringer
        Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
          I looked for it last winter but its not available in Canada anymore (at least not that I found)

So I had to resort to the spray cans of carb cleaner for that initial cleaning. Then used acetone which gets rid of the gum and varnish but you have to limit the aluminum exposure or it will discolour and is not friendly to rubber, only on bare carb and metal bits. Great for cleaning the brass jets.

Key ingredients in Berrymans are xylene and alchohols. Xylene is probably the thing they don't want consumers handling, but in my opinion the spray can just atomizes it and you end up inhaling if you don't have a really good face mask, so its probably worse for you.

Thanks for sharing, I like your little brushes! Where did you get them?

Think next time I go to the US I'll pick up a can, but will be careful handling it.

From the web:

There are damaging health effects for people exposed to xylene. Neurological effects may be experienced, such as headaches, dizziness, lack of coordination, and confusion. The eyes may also become irritated and some people may have problems breathing, a slow reaction time, and memory failure. If a person inhales a high level of the chemical, it may cause death. It is considered a narcotic, but it is not a controlled substance.
          For having those tiny little brushes, .22 cal. and such gun barrel cleaning brushes work well, brass and nylon......if you can access them in your location.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

good idea for the brushes, I have seen those kits, even here in Canada, there are SOME guns around

I went down to the local music shop and asked if they had old guitar strings, specifically the light / high ones. I got a mitt full for free, put a micrometer on them to select appropriate sizes for clearing out the jets and emulsion tube holes.

On the 350f, the slow / pilot jet is only .35mm. very tiny. an oversized wire would easily ream out the brass and end up too big.
            '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
            '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
            '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Me too

I have used the same 96 oz can of Berryman's for the carbs, brake MCs, and brake calipers on 4 bikes and it is still as good as new 6 years later. I clean the big greasy gunk off of my parts with paint thinner and a toothbrush before I use the Berryman's, so it doesn't get dirty so fast.

"Key ingredients in Berrymans are xylene and alcohols" <- I think the key ingredients are amines that are very strongly alkaline.

I have two sets of the same small Harbor Freight brushes that Kurt uses- I also use them dipped in alcohol to clean my connectors.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Are you going to break the rack apart, clean enrichener circuit, new o-rings for fuel T's, etc?

I have a couple large cans. Good stuff, have used it on a number of carb projects.
                Last edited by Bonz; 11-28-2016, 09:42 PM.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                  Are you going to break the rack apart, clean enrichener circuit, new o-rings for fuel T's, etc?
                  Bonz,
                  The rack was broken apart and each individual bare carb placed in the Berryman's. All the individual small carb components (jets, emulsions, floats, needles, slides, enricher, etc.) were cleaned to spotless condition and reassembled. I just tossed the #3 & #4 back on the rack to show the before/after cleaning performance of Berryman's.

The bowl vent and supply T's don't look bad at all. I've yet to perform the o-ring repair method on the T's on any of more than a 1/2 dozen sets of carbs. I clean them good, put a light layer of DOW/Corning O-ring grease on them and have yet to have any issue.

Kurt
                  Kurt Boehringer
                  Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                  1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                  1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Thanks for that! Now all is clear. The pair of clean carbs next to the pair of dirty carbs on the rack makes sense!

Carry on!
                    Last edited by Bonz; 11-28-2016, 10:17 PM.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                    X