Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing to Windscreen Insulation Tape

XS11 Friends,

Recently, I was tasked with quickly finding a local replacement for the insulation tape used between the fairing and the windscreen on a Venturer fairing (I'm sure others are similar). The nasty painted, damaged OEM stuff had to be removed for repainting.

I thought the "Frost King" brand of window door type tape might do the trick? Unfortunately, their offerings are either much too thick, or too narrow. Anyone that has ever used that foam sealing stuff knows it only sticks for about 2 minutes before it falls off.....

At home depot I found this: AP/Armaflex tape. This is the PERFECT thickness, sticky as one could ever ask for and ONLY 10$ for a large roll.

The stuff has reinforced threading making it MUCH stronger than the Frost King stuff and it is very flexible working great curving with the contours of the fairings.

Worked great on the Venturer fairing. I had to trim it a little narrower with scissors for my OEM Yamaha Accessory Fairing but it worked equally as well....

I have no idea what VETTER or Yamaha would want for the OEM replacement stuff but it certainly won't be $10!

KURT
    Last edited by kboehringer; 08-28-2016, 08:20 PM. Reason: Spells & broken photo link
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Thanks Kurt somehow i lost those pics as i wanted to share that info...
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

On mine I used the weatherproof foam rubber you get for automotive. Its only 1/2 inch wide so took a couple of runs. It was easy to run stuck well and trimmed easily. On the windshield I painted a strip around where the shield attached to the foam making nice clean lines clear black color. At the top edges I used a good thick bead of black silicone and did the final tightening after it dried. For the bolts threw the shield I got new nylon screws about the right length and nuts from Lowes. Painted them black and have had no issues with them. http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/...1/PIC_0803.jpg This picture shows before the painting and after it was even more clean and the black painted strip is like what is on todays cars.
      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
      1980 G Silverbird
      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
      1198 Overbore kit
      Grizzly 660 ACCT
      Barnett Clutch Springs
      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
      122.5 Main Jets
      ACCT Mod
      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
      Antivibe Bar ends
      Rear trunk add-on
      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
        On mine I used the weatherproof foam rubber you get for automotive. Its only 1/2 inch wide so took a couple of runs. It was easy to run stuck well and trimmed easily. On the windshield I painted a strip around where the shield attached to the foam making nice clean lines clear black color. At the top edges I used a good thick bead of black silicone and did the final tightening after it dried. For the bolts threw the shield I got new nylon screws about the right length and nuts from Lowes. Painted them black and have had no issues with them. http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/...1/PIC_0803.jpg This picture shows before the painting and after it was even more clean and the black painted strip is like what is on todays cars.
        Well, having used the pre-formed foam from Craig Vetter's web-site, it is inexpensive and a perfect fit.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I agree Moto the foam off the Vetter site is the best solution not that expensive but some are going to use what is local at hand and there are various reasons why. Part of why I used the nylon screws is mini cracks starting in the holes of the fairing and shield and just cleaning them up with a drill bit left a little more room.
          To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
          1980 G Silverbird
          Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
          1198 Overbore kit
          Grizzly 660 ACCT
          Barnett Clutch Springs
          R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
          122.5 Main Jets
          ACCT Mod
          Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
          Antivibe Bar ends
          Rear trunk add-on
          http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

The reason we went this route was based on.the assumption that Vetters stuff would be expensive...but we never did check...however it is good to share this information and have this discussion.....so there are alternatives...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I started to get that cracking around the bolt holes in the windshield. I was starting to worry and wondering what to do to stop it or if I should get another windshield when it occurred to me that I just needed to lighten up a little.

There are five nylon 'bolts' with washers and two stainless holding that bad boy down on the Vetters, the windshield is not going anywhere. Just lightly tension the windshield, don't reef don't on it and it won't crack around the bolts.
              -- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                Well, having used the pre-formed foam from Craig Vetter's web-site, it is inexpensive and a perfect fit.
                Vetter Web-Site Information:
                http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/onl...ls.html#anchor

Original Windjammer Windshield Foam Tape:
                Appropriate for:
                All Windjammer Fairings
                All Vindicator Fairings
                All Kawasaki - made-by - Vetter Fairings
                US / Canada $36.00
                (shipping cost included)

Restoration Parts on this page for your Vetter Fairings
                New Snap Vents
                Plastic Windshield Bolt Kits
                Replacement Windshield Clips
                Windshield Foam Tape
                Windshields
                Electrical Plug Kits
                Tail Trunk Mounting Bunkees
                Lowers Mounting Kits
                Replacement Edging Kits
                Hotcha Repair Kits
                Windjammer Decal Kits
                Saddlebag Clip Kits
                Chrome Logo/Vetter Nameplates
                Vetter Gifts and Collectibles
                Kurt Boehringer
                Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

I found out that not leaving at least one gap in the foam left no place for water to drain. Now, when it rains hard, I end up with a pool of water inside the windshield. Have to take it off and redo. YMMV.
                  Chuckster

'78 XS1100E

Money can't buy happiness, but it can get you an XS11 and that's a start.

Comment

Working...
                  X