clothing input ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clothing input ?

What's everybody wearing to be safe and warm Leather verses textile . What kind where did you buy it.Thinking about some new Leathers Jacket, chaps any suggestions before I pay to much.Armor anyone? anyone plugging in heated gear...??
    1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
    2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

I am a textile fan. I have some leather jackets as well but they are just too hot to wear most of the time. I have gloves and a jacket from Firstgear and some pants from Tourmaster. I added a armored back protector in place of the cheap piece of foam in the jacket, other than that the armor that came with it was fine. Don't remember where I got any of it.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I have a 3-Season Tourmaster textile jacket that's great for the Summer, and a Killamajaro(sp?) for Spring Fall.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I used a Field Shear brand armoured jacket/leather chaps as the riding weather here has little to no humidity even though temps hit in the 100degree range during summer.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

If you only have one jacket, leather is best. It's not too hot in the summer and will keep you somewhat warm in the winter. www.leatherup.com for budget stuff.

Best is cold weather textile gear and hot weather textile gear. You can't beat a mesh jacket when it's really hot out.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            I used a Field Shear brand armoured jacket/leather chaps as the riding weather here has little to no humidity even though temps hit in the 100degree range during summer.
            Also, Field Shear jackets have a vippered in removable insulated liner, insulated liner sleeves are part of that liner too and sells for under $200.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi Tom,
              I have purchsed a few things from these guys http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/jackets_and_vests/
              I find their reviews to be very good and excelent service quick delivery.
              Do read up on the products you are interested in,
              The Closeout and Customer's Closet sections have some real bargains if you happen to be the right size
              Free shipping over $89 is nice
              I switched from leather to textile a few years ago. Both have their merits. I like the 3/4 touring jacket I have which is good for low to mid temperature and very hot in the high temps. I also have a mesh jacket but only use it for local day rides.

Phil
              Last edited by MaximPhil; 04-07-2016, 09:16 PM.
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

ThankYou !.! For your input.! Have a great Day.!

Comment

textile all the way...mesh fabrics for warmer weather and heavier non mesh gear for rain and cooler weather...my gear is Olympia...summer jacket is an Airglide2..Hi Viz Lime Yellow...Pants are the heavier material..i wear them almost year round Olympia Ranger2 pants...my winter or rainy weather jacket is an Olympia 3?4 length AST also in Hi Viz Lime Yellow...all gear is armored in the proper places...
                  I have a hein gericke leather jacket hanging in my closet..I havent worn it in 15 yrs...it weighs about 50 lbs...well thats what it feels like...just my .02 cents ...oh yeah...I finally broke down and wired up a pair of Gerbings G3 heated gloves... the first i have ever used heated gear in 40 yrs of riding...and I wonder why I waited so long...
                  Last edited by madmax-im; 04-12-2016, 01:32 PM.
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Icecycle's thoughts

Must admit I’m impressed by the lightness and the protective plates in the fabric jacket my son uses. However I’ve stuck with leather. Always ride with chaps. They have a removable liner for the colder season and when removed the chaps are roomer and not so clingy for the summer. Best features of my leather jacket, removable liner, plus the full back and front zippered vents. Removes the Michelin Man look plus the large front vent pockets let me carry frozen water bottles. As the air passes the ice you have air conditioning. As my call name suggest I’ve been out on some cold days. Got a long duster (cowboy) some call it an Australian herder’s coat with leg ties (added extra ties on the calf and thighs) traps some engine heat for you. A leather one will set you back a few dollars, very heavy. The first one I got and still use is oiled canvas just bought it over sized and wear it over my leathers. Stuff it in the saddle bag or bungee to the back rest. Dam bad ass look!
                    "first 60 years of childhood were real fun" Looking forward.

Comment

Originally posted by icecycle View Post
                      Must admit I’m impressed by the lightness and the protective plates in the fabric jacket my son uses. However I’ve stuck with leather. Always ride with chaps. They have a removable liner for the colder season and when removed the chaps are roomer and not so clingy for the summer. Best features of my leather jacket, removable liner, plus the full back and front zippered vents. Removes the Michelin Man look plus the large front vent pockets let me carry frozen water bottles. As the air passes the ice you have air conditioning. As my call name suggest I’ve been out on some cold days. Got a long duster (cowboy) some call it an Australian herder’s coat with leg ties (added extra ties on the calf and thighs) traps some engine heat for you. A leather one will set you back a few dollars, very heavy. The first one I got and still use is oiled canvas just bought it over sized and wear it over my leathers. Stuff it in the saddle bag or bungee to the back rest. Dam bad ass look!
                      Cool !!!Thanks ..Been riding in some 40 degree temps now for longer than I like
                      windy.Still Dumb and not young.Hopefully over ,,higher temps building for weekend... like your style.
                      Thanks all again.!!!
                      Last edited by tomcos67; 04-13-2016, 09:59 PM. Reason: just added text

Comment

Working...
                      X