Fork braces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork braces

just a heads up, ordered a set of fork braces from Tkat and can not believe the difference it makes. recommend them to all XS owners . Tkat is awesome to deal with a real high quality product !
    Last edited by ccjj7; 02-23-2016, 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    80 SG pods with air box stack mod,Mac 2 into 1 exhaust

Originally posted by ccjj7 View Post
    Mac 2 into 1 exhaust
    Need to change that to 4 into 1.

The fork braces do make a big difference in high speed cornering. I agree fully.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Won't make a lick of difference if you have bad wheel bearings/steering head bearings, which is what I believe I have going-on, unless the Metzeler tires are bad. I refuse to change those bearings though.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
        Won't make a lick of difference if you have bad wheel bearings/steering head bearings, which is what I believe I have going-on, unless the Metzeler tires are bad. I refuse to change those bearings though.
        Have you serviced those steering head bearings Ian? Those make a HUGE difference in the handling.

I just took off a new Avon Venom tire from the front of mine. It was squirrely on the front of my bike. It held the road good but just felt unstable all the time. Went back to a Shinko 712 and all is good again.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          Have you serviced those steering head bearings Ian? Those make a HUGE difference in the handling.

I just took off a new Avon Venom tire from the front of mine. It was squirrely on the front of my bike. It held the road good but just felt unstable all the time. Went back to a Shinko 712 and all is good again.
          +1 A little cleaning & grease on top & bottom head bearings, then adjust to acceptable tightness ( just snug...) It can make XS handle & ride like a different bike. And you do not even need to remove front wheel to do it.

Good luck wrenching
          It is a great big beautiful world out there
          Brent in GA
          Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
            +1 A little cleaning & grease on top & bottom head bearings, then adjust to acceptable tightness ( just snug...) It can make XS handle & ride like a different bike. And you do not even need to remove front wheel to do it.

Good luck wrenching
            Back to topic - Fork braces on XS11; Yes stability of forks is greatly improved. Yamaha added one of sorts to underside of fenders on the later XJs. Do you need a fork brace? No, just ride smooth & easy in a mostly straight line.

No fork brace will Clean, grease, and adjust steering head bearings, Change fork oil, Replace sacked rear shock absorbers, Replace unevenly worn or cupped tires (especially front), or Adjust air pressure in front forks. If experiancing poor handling, head shake etc; Check these things. Also looose or worn out wheel bearings, swingarm bearings could cause trouble.

T-kat fork braces are great. I put one on my 80special XS1100SG. Really nice finish and precise fit. Top quality work. Nice look. I Highly recommend T- Kat fork braces. (be sure to get specific for special or Standard).
            It is a great big beautiful world out there
            Brent in GA
            Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

good looking brace

New member here. I love this site. You guys have helped a lot in getting my newly acquired xs11 ready to ride. Almost there. Are these fork braces still available, and if so, do they act as a suitable replacement to the dust covers they eliminate? Thanks for all the great info on this site.
              78E "Wanderlust"
              K&N Air Filter
              Jardine Spaghetti Exhaust
              Raptor ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Plate & Springs
              LED Turn Signals

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Comment

They are used with the dust covers.
                80 SG
                81 SH in parts
                99 ST1100
                91 ST1100

Comment

Good call. That 3rd picture never loaded for me so I didn't see that.
                  78E "Wanderlust"
                  K&N Air Filter
                  Jardine Spaghetti Exhaust
                  Raptor ACCT
                  Barnett Clutch Plate & Springs
                  LED Turn Signals

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Comment

http://www.tkat.com/forkbrace.html
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Put on on my Wing, what a GOOD difference.
                      Have to get used to the bike all over again.
                      1977 XS11, lost in garage fire! YES, a real 1977-E... WHOA!!! it was fast.

Comment

Saturday I replaced the throttle cable (someone had put in one that was too short). Sunday rode to the top of Pike's Peak. What a difference the fork brace made. The bike went from skittish to smooth and strong. Tkat is a great guy and his stuff in not only functional but attractive. Pics of the trip up Pike's Peak to follow
                        DCR
                        XS11

Comment

fork brace

I failed to mention that I also installed a TKAT fork brace on Saturday
                          DCR
                          XS11

Comment

Working...
                          X