Thermostatic Control for oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostatic Control for oil cooler

I have had a Lockhart Oil Cooler on my bike since it was new. When starting it up from cold, it seemed to take a long time to warm up. Everyone told me the engine was cold-blooded, but it seemed I could start the bike, go in the house, eat a sandwich, come out and put on my jacket, helmet, and gloves before the bike was warm enough to ride with the choke off or at reduced setting.

I recently had installed the Lockhart Thermostat which doesn't allow oil to flow to the cooler until it reaches proper temperature. Wonder of wonders, the bike is ready to ride sooner. Maybe my gas mileage will climb, too!

I recently installed a lockhart cooler too. Where does the control go, inline? Also, where can I order one?
    I ride pretty much all year around, 110 deg. F in summer to 32 deg. F in winter. I was just going to cover the cooler or by-pass it in winter (short section of hose from inlet to outlet on adapter, same on cooler to keep out foren material).
    Thermo control would be nice on trips that cover many climates.
    the oil cooler adapter I put on my 68 F100 six-banger has a thermostatic spring that restricts flow to the cooler until the oil reaches 160 deg F, works great and simple design.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Pat

Lockhart dealers in Modesto. Might give them a try.

MODESTO BUELL AND GAS-GAS 1408 CARPENTER RD
      MODESTO CA 95351 209-578-1330

HONDA OF MODESTO 1120 N. CARPENTER RD
      MODESTO CA 95351 209-529-5424

YAMAHA OF MODESTO 1302 9TH ST.
      MODESTO CA 95354 209-527-5603
      Gary
      79sf
      78e

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pat Kelly
        [B]I recently installed a lockhart cooler too. Where does the control go, inline? Also, where can I order one?

Lockhart is now Lockhar Phillips. They are located in San Clemente, CA. They have an 800 number which you can find on their web site (or pay directory assistance). Their customer service response is slow but eventually, you'll get to speak to someone. If no one else has or will order one, they will sell direct; but would rather sell to a dealer who will resell to you.

Installation of the thermostat is accomplished by cutting both the oil lines to the cooler about midway between the cooler and the plate. The thermostat has four (4) inlet/outlets. push the hoses on and tighten the clamps (which you have previously purchase and put on the hoses before pushing them onto the thermostat. You're ready to go.

Comment

I spelled Lockhart Phillips incorrectly, now I feel better.

Comment

Working...
          X