New Front Brake Master Cylinder For XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Front Brake Master Cylinder For XS

I just got a new front brake master cylinder for my 78 and for wifes 79 XS750. They came from www.partsnmore.com part # 08-0264. It is all metal, no plastic at all, site glass to check fluid level. Tiny little thing and it works perfectly. Comes with a new banjo bolt and 2 crush washers and has the threaded hole for the mirror. The banjo fitting is on the front, not the end like original so hose length might be an issue for some. I have the SS hoses from Chris Rawson (sorry to those that had problems) and my upper hose was a bit long, not anymore. My cost was $76 US and I feel it's well worth it.
    If you're about to rebuild or if you're getting concerned with your original plastic housing (that's why I tried this, mine was starting to 'weep') then here's a viable option.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

I think that's a pretty good deal for a new mastercylinder. I've got one question and while it may sound like nit picking, is the mirror mount hole in the right place. It looks like it's a little off from the original.

BTW most of the time when a mater cylinder is weaping its not the plastic tank but the seal on the top or bottom of the tank.

I have 3 XS11 master cylinders that still have good plastic, 2 on my bikes an one spare but it was a pain getting a good top seal on the one on the Mongrel. I'll have to look into ordering a couple of those seal (if they can still be gotten.)

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Yes, the mirror mount is maybe ½" lower and ½" closer to the handlebar. It actually matches the left side mount so your mirrors won't be off-set. I know when I had the bar mounted mirrors and my Pacifico fairing I had to adjust for the right one hitting the windshield and the left mirror had plenty of clearance.
      One thing I like about the metal vs plastic res. is resistance to breakage. My old one was getting awefully brittle. The bike sat outside for almost 20 years before I bought it.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Just curious, do you know who actually makes it?
        2010 Kawasaki Z1000
        1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

There are no brand names (that I cab read) on the package or the mastercylinder. On the side of the cyl it says ½" and has the warnings on the cover about cleaning before removing, use DOT3, etc. There is some writing on the lid in Japanese but I can't read it.

I can't wait to ride the bike myself to try the brakes, wife test rode/stopped the bike for me. I'm still recovering from surgery and can't quite sit on the bike yet. Maybe next week.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

1/2 inch???

Well then that should work BETTER than stock
            Garry
            '79 SF "Battle Cat"
            outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

It may be better. I still can't sit on the bike.
              I go to the Dr today to get the stitches out and be cleared for work. Yes, the surgery was in an area that affects sitting on the bike. It was like a turbo-charged vascetomy. Maybe next week.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Hey Pat
                Gosh your attention to detail must be pretty high if you;re getting them buffed too. LOL
                Glenn
                Oz

Comment

Working...
                X