Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibranator and Intiminator

Hi Folks

I found two suggestively named products, both made in the USA, and fitted them both onto my XJR1300. I thought it might be of interest to Xsives to know what they are like.

The Vibranator is a device which fits into the end of the handlebars and which undoubtedly reduces vibration. The XJR isn't anything like as bad as the XS11 for that white finger syndrome but, nevertheless, there is some vibration at around 4,000rpm. I fitted the Vibranators and found they just about eliminated it entirely.

The Intiminator, made by the same people, is a small cartridge which fits into each fork. A bit like a race cartridge emulator. The cartridge 'knows' whether the fork is being compressed from below..eg by a bump in the road....or from above ie slamming the brakes on and getting fork dive. It allows the soaking up of bumps but reduces fork dive considerably. This makes for better handling and no forks bottoming out under heavy braking. The fork oil is replaced by SAE 5 oil...very thin.

Neither of the above are exactly inexpensive but Ive been pleased with the results. The XJR is, in some ways, similar to the XS11 and based on it to a great extent. The fork gadgets undoubtedly make a huge difference and the ride is much smoother. And, vibration through the bars is vastly reduced.

If you're interested, try a search on eBay or Google. Shipping was expensive for me, of course, but much less for anyone in the US......
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

I have heard of peoples bars vibrating but mine don't vibrate at all. I guess I am lucky.
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
      I have heard of peoples bars vibrating but mine don't vibrate at all. I guess I am lucky.
      I've never really felt it either. Or, I just don't care.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Mine will put the right hand first finger to sleep in a matter of 50 miles or so. I use bar end weights and Kuryakin grips to help a lot but I will be looking up these items. Thanks James. Good to see you still posting.
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I talked to a guy a couple days ago that had on of those fzr600 and he said that he couldn't figure out why his back hurt so bad in just a few miles. Eventually he loosened his handle bars and slid the over one way or another and it corrected it. Maybe the people who get vibrations bars are a little off center. That guy said he was pinching a nerve in his neck.
          Jeff
          77 XS750 2D completely stock
          79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
            Good to see you still posting.
            Thank you for that kind sir! Life threw a few things at me and I went incommunicado for a while but now back! "Oh no!", I hear people say....
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
              Mine will put the right hand first finger to sleep in a matter of 50 miles or so.
              thats what mine did too. My bars were centred and the carbs balanced by four vacuum gauges. But, the XS1100 definitely vibrates from 4,000rpm to about 4750, I found. The VWF got to be a real pain, despite foam grips.

The Vibranators work on the same principle as noise cancelling headphones...they generate a wave of the same frequency and fire it back at the source. The two waves cancel each other out to a large extent.

Incidentally, I also found that the position of the bars forward or backwards affected my VWF. I find that if my arms are stretched out straight, the Vibration white finger is much worse. On the XJR, which has more of a leaning forward position, I fitted some 'up and back' risers, as per the pic below. This means I can sit upright with bent elbows......

Comment

How does that Vibranator attach? It looks like there are 2 different ones on eBay.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  How does that Vibranator attach? It looks like there are 2 different ones on eBay.
                  They go one at each end of the handlebars and look just like bar end weights. Except, on the inside, there is a brass rod and a torpedo shaped weight on the end of it. Here's a pic of mine in place. You just slide them into the bars and then tighten the Allen bolt to expand the bar end so it grips. They make many different sorts and the best bet is to email them and tell them the bike and the bar internal diameter. The website is http://www.vibranator.com

Last edited by James England; 07-20-2013, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Most looked like that but there were some that you apparently had to thread the end of your bars to install.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      Most looked like that but there were some that you apparently had to thread the end of your bars to install.
                      ye, those are for specific bikes which have threaded bars at the end. In fact, the XJR has threaded inners and the OEM bar ends screw in. But, when I fitted the Vibranators, they advised me to use the expanding Allen bolt method of attaching them.

You just give them the internal diameter of your bars and they will tell you which ones you need.

Comment

Working...
                      X