MASTER Disc Brake Lock- DO NOT BUY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MASTER Disc Brake Lock- DO NOT BUY!

Two seasons in a row, two different locks, both failed and had to be broke in-half with a sledge hammer due to lock solenoid messing up. I bought mine from Auto Zone. I will call Master on Monday.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

I use a BULLY lock when I need that overnight type protection. Inexpensive yet tough.

http://www.bullylocks.com/ushaped_disc_lock.html

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I was kind of shocked that I was able to easily break that lock in-half with a few good whacks of a 10-lb sledge hammer
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Lock solenoid? Is it electric? What model?
        Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

I guess I misspoke. The lock tumblers somehow got messed up, preventing the lock from unlocking. It's the orange disc brake lock sold @ Auto Zone.
          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Ian I have a similar lock on my XS, here's a pic of it. There have been LOTS of returns because of the problem you had, but it's because the lock construction is such that it needs a LOT of lube, and the key itself is very soft material which makes it bend. I bet you are seeing the bent key.

They need to be lubed REALLY well, I do mine about once every other month. I use something that won't wash away like PB Blaster, WD-40 works ok for instant loosening it up, but it needs more to stay workable. The tumblers have to be really lubed up, then it works ok. The BIG TRICK is to make absolutely sure you have the key bottomed all the way into the tumblers or it will bend the key, and turn it gently until it unlocks. My lock came from MEC which is the Canadian equiv. of REI, and it actually had a paper in it saying they get lots of these back because people don't lube them enough, and don't bottom the key out in the tumblers. Give it a go, because I looked at the Master lock on their website and noticed the tumblers and key are identical, prob from the same Chinese factory. You don't have the bar like I do in pic. 3 so the internals are prob different for that, but the key and tumblers look just the same.
            Last edited by Courtney; 07-07-2013, 12:13 PM.
            Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Working...
            X