Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inder sidecar

Delivered to my dock this morning.
    There is some nice welding and some nice metal work.
    The following will not cause me to return the unit, but I will talk to the supplier and encourage them to tell the manufacturer some of their work needs improving.
    There is no spacer for the top shock bolt, has about 1/16 of play all around.
    The tyre would not hold air, tube has a three inch split.
    Axle dust cap would not fit over the washer that goes next to the bearing.
    Inner wheel bearing was too tight on the shaft due to paint on axle shaft and poor machining.
    Inner bearing was too loose in the wheel hub.
    Off the six frame clamps, one had a smaller hole for the same size bolt.
    Rear hatch ( boot ) lock not working after about six uses.
    Wheel hub between bearings had small metal pieces from machining.
    Only one bolt to secure back rest of seat, and foot step. Two are required for each.
    Windshield has a small crack staring from a mounting bolt.
    Tomorrow after fixing the tyre and tube I will attemp to bolt the rig to Yami.
    Unkle Crusty

Which one did you get?
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

Sidecar

Sidecar is made by Inder Auto Industries, in Nangal India.
      A photo is at www.cozysidecar.ca products and is the Bemer model.
      We are slowly making progress figuring out the handling.
      The steering is much too heavy at the moment.
      Had too much lean in, fixed, too much toe in, fixed but went too far so had too much toe out, fixed. Now all I have is too heavy steering.
      Found sidecarclub.ca There are links to much theory which at the moment is disagreeing with my logic.
      Weight on the front increases heavy steering, my logic thinks moving the car back would help. But apparently moving the car forward helps. Must have to do with the placement of the sidecar wheel, rather than just mass.
      I will cut down the windshield as it is too high and has too much drag.
      Connecting the four links to the frame was an interesting exercise.
      Did it all on the dock, would have been better with a couple of small floor jacks.
      That's the sidecar news to date.
      Put about 70 miles on it today, was hard work, made changes at the ferry dock to adjust the bike lean.
      Unkle Crusty

Comment

I think Fredintoon mentioned before this is one instance where you want to mix the forks and triple trees from standard and special to get what would be squirrley steering on the bike, but with a sidecar lightens steering.

Dont ask me which with which. Ask fred.

BTW car looks cool.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

you need a Steering damper otherwise the xs11 with sidecar is UN ride able ,, just my 2 cents ride safe slow mo!!
          The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
          moemcnally@hotmail.com
          i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Damper

Hi Slow Mo.
            I will be going slow around corners, because if I go bit quick we go straight ahead. The steering is that heavy.
            Or the steering head angle is wrong.
            I will be moving the sidecar forward 2 1/2 inches for the next adjustment. That should give me some feedback as to balance.
            If you care to add an extra 98 cents worth I will listen. So far we have been 110 kph with no mayor drama. I have deliberately wiggled the bars to check what might happen.
            A steering damper can be added. My sidecar theory is very old and mostly limited to the race track. From that experience I determined they were slow on acceleration and breaking, but okay around the corners.
            This is the first time I have bolted one to a frame.
            It is currently serviceable but at a slow speed and there is much room for improvement.
            There is a Canadian Sidecar Club that has links to much imformation that I am studying.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

damper

slow speed is where you will encounter steering head wobble ,,,,, a steering damper should be applied by a professional the is a lot of geometry going against you ride safe slow mo!!
              The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
              moemcnally@hotmail.com
              i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

Comment

steering damper

with my steering damper all turns are better if you send me your email addy i can send you pictures ride safe ,,slow,,mo!
                moemcnally@hotmail.com
                i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

Comment

address

email is unklecrusty@gmail.com

Unkle Crusty

Comment

i will take some better pics tomorrow ride safe ,,slow mo!
                    moemcnally@hotmail.com
                    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

Comment

Side car

My XS11 came with a Velorex sidecar attached. I believe that the sidecar wheel axle is 10 inches in front of the back wheel axle. Have fun adjusting the lean and toe in! I do not experience have steering, have relocated the handlebar with a riser adjustment which improved the riding position. Be careful driving the thing, it does not handle like a 2wheeler at all, especially making right turns. I believe Cycle Gear has a book on the subject. Anyway, good luck and be safe!
                      80 G

Comment

Inder

I found another XS11 with sidecar in Victoria. Have been chatting with owner. He says his is easy to steer, suggests my problem is with the camber of the wheel. His wheel is 16 inch and the car sits lower than mine with the 19 inch.
                        So next on my list will be to set the wheel at 90 degrees to the frame. He also said 3/4 to 1 1/2 inch toe in works. His bike is a Standard, but that should not make any difference. I also have new front forks for Yami that I will install soon.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

Working...
                        X