Kafko - Oil Eater Degreaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kafko - Oil Eater Degreaser

I just bought a 2 gallons concentrated + Spray bottle box of Kafko Oil Eater from my local Costco and gave it a shot on an oil and grime saturated oil filter cover for my '78 project.
    The MSDS and packaging reports this is Non-Toxic, Non-Corrosive and Bio-Degradable.

MSDS:
    http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=11013003

Manufacturer:
    http://www.oileater.com/CleanerDegreaser.html

They do state to limit exposure to aluminum (no prolonged contact) and painted/coated parts, however it is definitely fine to use.

I sprayed down the part with the spray bottle and scrubbed between the fins with a toothbrush. I'm very pleased with the results. Previously, I used cheap aerosol foaming spray from Walmart, but was always displeased with the smell and respiratory issues after prolonged use outside in open air (nose and throat irritation).

The package cost ~13.99 at my local Costco. I have walked past the large display for months and it never seemed they sold any of it.

I will take some before/after shots of the oil pan when I get around to it. Here are a couple pictures of the package:

Kafko Oil Eater
    8.33%
    3M Foaming
    8.33%
    Gunk Engine Brite
    0.00%
    CRC
    0.00%
    Simple Green
    33.33%
    Permatex Eliminator
    0.00%
    Whatever is on sale
    16.67%
    Other
    33.33%
    82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
    Website/Blog

Before (wiped down a bit):

After:

It seems to do as well as the foaming degreaser I have used, just without the harsh chemical effects.
    Website/Blog

Comment

I havent used an actual degreaser but I probably should. Ive always just used carb cleaner and a brush or soap and water.
      Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
      Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
      Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
      Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
      Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
      K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
      81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post
        I havent used an actual degreaser but I probably should. Ive always just used carb cleaner and a brush or soap and water.
        Same here, but I would either find I was out of carb/brake cleaner when I needed it, or end up spending a lot more overall.

On Amazon.com, Oil Eater is going for $20/gallon or ~$9/32oz spray bottle, so I'd say Costco was a good deal.

I'm about half way through the pre-diluted 32oz bottle that came in the box, having degreased a heavily caked oil filter cover, oil pan, final drive, swingarm and misc parts along the way.

Amazon Reviews:
        http://www.amazon.com/Oil-Eater-Clea...owViewpoints=1
        Website/Blog

Comment

I keep my engine bright with a constant gasoline drip from the air box, as the petcock and #3 carb don't hamper the flow of gas at all. Expensive? Dangerous? Sure, but works like a charm!
          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
            I keep my engine bright with a constant gasoline drip from the air box, as the petcock and #3 carb don't hamper the flow of gas at all. Expensive? Dangerous? Sure, but works like a charm!
            In your signature it's: F***ing B***h does that stand for FLAMING !!

Hope you get those leakers under control.
            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
            The Green Monster
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
            Got him in '04.
            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
            Scarlet
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
            Got her in '11
            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
            Hugo
            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
            Cold weather ride

Comment

Use Easy Off oven cleaner

I learned from the VW aircooled groups when racing that their brand of choice was Easy Off oven cleaner. I've used it for years despite the fact that it says not for use on aluminum. Hmmmm, coulda fooled me, it just cleaned my cylinder head all up for me. Cheap too! cause you buy the pump bottle.
              Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

I've only tried the Simple Green, seems to work well but you have to make sure you flush with lots of water. It seems to hang around and you need to get it removed from the aluminum or it can cause damage as indicated on the bottle. It works really well at full strength but I cut it 3:1 with water (1) and I believe I payed about $20 for the gallon.

Some where in this forum section there is a review on Simple Green...

Found it: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=Simple+Green
                Last edited by WMarshy; 04-26-2013, 06:49 PM.
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Working...
                  X