Seafoam engine treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seafoam engine treatment

I must say I was a little skeptical at first, but I'm a believer now. I've had a low rpm miss and it made it quite difficult to take off from a dead stop. Especially with a passenger. I would have to get the rpm's up in order to pull away. I put half a bottle of this stuff in with a full tank of gas, went for a quick run to get some into the carbs and then parked it for the night. I was shocked, the more miles I was putting on it, the cleaner it was running. I now have just a tiny little hesitation at low rpm's but I do mean tiny. My carbs are out of sync so I'll chalk that one up to them. It's the absolute best thing I've done for it and dollar for dollar, there is nothing that compares.

+1

I tried every kind of carb/fuel enjection cleaner I could find, simply because the Seafoam was significantly higher, but finally broke down and bought some. After a couple dozen tanks of today's "gas", when I pull up to a stoplight and let it idle, the rpm will slowly drop over the course of a minute or so to where if I left it alone, it would die. I have to blip the throttle like a Harley guy at the lights occasionally to keep it running. I have a gas station about 2 miles from my house. I can put a half can of Seafoam in the tank when it's doing that, fill up, and ride home. When I pull in the driveway, the bike will be back to purring nicely again.... that quickly. As an added bonus, the Seafoam is just as good or better than Sta-bil as a fuel stabilizer if you don't ride much.

I have a generator that doesn't get ran much. It's just for emergency power if we lose ours. (We went 10 days one winter without power and swore it would never happen again.) I wen to try to start it and could smell bad fuel pretty bad. I put some fresh in with some Seafoam and pulled the starter chord. And pulled.. and pulled.. Switched hands and pulled and pulled. Got my kid and made him pull and pull.. then I pulled some more. No go.

Next day, I was walking by it and thought, "What the heck..." On the second pull it fired off ran ran like a champ. Letting the fresh fuel and Seafoam do its work overnight made all the difference.

So yes, it does cost more, but this is a case of getting what you pay for. I try to wait on a sale. The cheapest I can find it around here is @ $7 a pint, so I stock up on it then. If I can pour a half can in occasionally and $3.50 keeps me from pulling and cleaning carbs, it's a heck of a value to me.

*I am not a paid sponsor of this product.... though I'd be willing to be!
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

+1
      I use it all the time on the bikes and cars.... never fails.

-=PO
      78 E XS11
      69 CB450 K1
      69 TR6c Triumph (650)
      69 Norton Commando S (750)
      99 Moto Guzzi V11 Bassa
      75 XS650 chopped (board track racer)
      2014 VStar 950 tourer

Comment

Seafoam may be the best additive ever invented. Ive been using it everything since I could drive.
        Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
        Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
        Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
        Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
        Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
        K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
        81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

..........and wally-world has the best price for Sea-Foam.....
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Great results for me too.

The cheapest I have found it in Tampa is Northern Tools.
            It was less than $7.00 a can.
            79 XS1100F.
            SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
            TC's fuse box.
            SOFA filter.
            Venture cam chain adjuster.
            Tkat fork brace.
            Progressive fork springs.

Comment

At the Menards I work at its $7 something/pint. We also have gallon cans for $50. That brings it to $6.25/pint.
              Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
              Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
              Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
              Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
              Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
              K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
              81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post
                At the Menards I work at its $7 something/pint. We also have gallon cans for $50. That brings it to $6.25/pint.
                Wow Nate!,, Gallon cans!! Imagine what one could do with a gallon of that stuff.
                Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                The Green Monster
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                Got him in '04.
                bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                Scarlet
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                Got her in '11
                Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                Hugo
                Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                Cold weather ride

Comment

NAPA has it on sale around here a couple of times a year for 6.49
                  '80 XS1100 SG
                  Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Mmmmmm...GOOD Stuff

I'm a believer...I'm here to testify...can I get a witness?...
                    Well, you get the point, been using Seafoam on every bike and other vehicles and lawn equipment for many years and it's ALWAYS the 1st thing I do when I get another bike and it keeps all of them running at top form...
                    Current Rides:
                    02 GL1800 Wing
                    79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
                    81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

My clutch and starter clutch had been slipping. I put half a can in my tank and the other half in my crank case, and went for a 2 hr ride (I took it really easy on the throttle thinking I'd take it easy on my bearings. My starter clutch hasn't slipped since. My drive clutch hasn't slipped either, but I did take it apart for a 1st gear fix after that ride, scuff up the plates, and install Barnett springs. I wouldn't necessarily recommend putting it in your crankcase because I don't know if it's bad for any bearings or seals, but I haven't had any thing let go yet, and like I said, my starter clutch hasn't slipped since. Of course, my starter clutch could also be working because I installed a kick start while I was doing the 1st gear fix. You know... Murphy's law.
                      '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

History of Seafoam

Found this on the history of seafoam and thought I'd share:

http://www.maxim-x.com/mmm_nov2009-seafoam.html

John
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

A friend of mine says that Seafoam is great, but that 3m engine treatment is much better. Have no experience with either, but have a can of Seafoam that i am going to use on my bike and hopefully will help it run better.
                          Hydra'82 XJ1100 Frankenbike with a '79 engine

~dubbed "Hydra" by a friend, because "once one problem is fixed, another rears its ugly head!"

Comment

Been using SeaFoam for years in everything. The Deep Creep spray is better lube than wd40 and makes a hell of a carb cleaner too. I've always split a can of seafoam between the tank and crankcase on the bikes before I change the oil first part of spring. Helps remove water, varnish, carbon, and rust build up in the motor from sitting thru our wet fall and winter seasons up here. I put them in the tank and oil before I park it for the season... I try and start the bikes once a week while in storage just to move the fluids around. The seafoam works great as a fuel stabilizer and helps keep moisture out of things.
                            Don
                            1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                            1989 kawi ex500
                            1996 yzf-r6
                            1999 yzf-r1
                            2001 kawi zx-6r
                            2000 Ducati 748
                            2002 YZF-R1
                            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                            X