Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark 4 rider Intercom System

Hey Fella's,

My Com units came in last week. Got them mounted in Wife and My helmets. Tested them around the house. No road test yet. Very cool units and not very expensive. They are full Duplex intercoms, so its like talking on the phone rather than a push to talk. You can sync 4 sets together. Can only talk to 1 person @ a time, no conference calling You can sync your phone too them too like full blue-tooth capable. The thing I like about them is each unit comes with a grip remote. Right now I have mine mounted to the bar down by the steering neck using electrical tape as a build-up insulator. I tried mounting it to my grip and did not like it there. kinda have to work around it to get to signal switch and such.

I will repost after a road test today. I sat on Izzy out in the garage running the bike up @ a high rpm to simulate road noise, and could clearly hear my wife whom was sitting in the other side of the house.

Heres some pics.... @ about $75 each unit they are affordable and seem to be good quality. Comes with both a boom mic for open face helmet, and a velcro mic for full face helmet. Feel free to ask question if ya got any

Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Thanks for the report Don,me and the wife have Scala Rider's,comes in a set of two,can talk to 3 at a time and has all the bells and whistle's including FM radio,which works rather well.One thing it doesn't have is the remote,which could come in rather handy. I bought mine online for $189. for the set,which was a real bargin because at the bike shop they go for about $389.
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Ya the remote was the selling point. My wife wants me to attach her remote to her riding jacket some how so she can put it in her pocket and it can't just fall out. Thinking a solder bead necklace thru the mount hole and maybe the jacket zipper or something. For me the remote is just a great idea. Even having it where I put it sure beat rummaging around on the side of the helmet with golves on trying to push the right button. Just got done planting some veggies in pots. Gonna try and get wife out for a ride.
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Road test

Threw the wife on the back of Old Man and headed into Vancouver to drop of the other 2 Com units to my buddy and his wife. Talked to the wife all the way down the freeway @ speeds up to 80 mph. Got into Vancouver and got all 4 of them synced together. They are rated to 1000m according to the box... started getting pretty staticy about 1/8 mile and then communication was gone shortly after that... But we were around alot of houses and going thru neighborhoods... so it might have had hard bounces. Will be interesting to see separation distance out on the road... I do know that from wife to myself @ 80 mph they are very clear. Having a fairing and tall windshield helps keep the wind off my boom mic in the half helmet. The volume can get turned up high enough that I can hear the bike thru my head set if turned up too loud. With the stereo off, and volume on Com unit about half way up I can have an open conversation talking @ normal volume.

So my conclusion... very nice units so far. I may sync my phone to it as a blu-tooth... we will see. Would be nice option to have depending on if it will announce who's calling so I can decide whether or not to answer But if I'm out riding without the wife she can get ahold of me for the old "when are you gonna be home?" conversation.

If your in the market for a com unit that doesn't break the bank this things seem to work well... Shark makes some that can be paired up to 6 people for $120 a pair, but they don't have the handlebar remote... For me @ $75 each these are well worth the money. Now my wife and my buddies wife can conversate while on road trips. And we can schedule stops without having to flash lights and hook horns @ each other.... Or have SWMBO rapping me on the helmet trying to get my attention for a bathroom break.... It would be nice if we could pair more... but the 4 of us is all I was worried about... everyone else can just follow.

Follow up... I forgot to mention that pairing them is straight forward and easy... so if a couple other buddies get some and we go on a "boys" ride we can reset the units and sync everyone up before leaving. take about 5 minutes to sync all 4 up
        Last edited by ddragon63; 05-28-2012, 06:27 PM.
        Don

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

What did you say,your planting pot? OHHHHH,your planting in pots
          FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
          1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Working...
          X