Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuryakyn ISO Grips

Hey Fella's,

So I bought and installed a set of these ISO grips last week on "Old Man". Took a ride over to the coast today with them on. After 260 miles I can say they are the greatest grips I've ever laid my hands on. When I picked up "Izzy" last month she already had a set installed and after riding it around I though that they would take the buzziness out of the ride on the XS too... well they do! A few weeks back I had taken a ride up the Columbia River Gorge and about 200 miles into it I was starting to have some arm fatigue. I just got home from the coast and my upper body is in great shape. I could go another 100 miles right now and not have a problem with it.

YMMV but they are WELL worth the $'s if your looking for a quality comfy grip I don't see how you can go wrong

here's some pics of them on the bike.... the only pain was I had to sand the raised groves on the throttle tube to fit the grip over it. Other than that it was straight forward.

and heres a link to the black and chrome sets. amazon has probably the best price on them. They come out of Texas with free shipping. I got them in 3 days. Enjoy
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
    in black
    http://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-6241-...6966452&sr=1-1
    in chrome
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

hey Don,you hit the nail right on the head,I had ISO grips on my Kawi. Vulcan 1500, and they are very comfortable.
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Glue?

Did you use the supplied glue?

I worry about not getting it all the way on and gluing it halfway...

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Yes i used the glue that came with it. All it is is glorified rubber cement. Test fit test fit test fit! Mark somewhere on the grip and your handle bar a line up point. Put glue in the grip, line up how you want it to go, and shove it home. You got about 45 seconds once you've shoved it on there to move it about. I did have to barber pole my left side bar with electrical tape to make a tighter fit. Once again test fit as many times as it takes to get it where you want it. Kinda like measure twice and cut once...

The biggest benefit I see with these grips is you can replace the rubber part in the middle. Course you'll have to hack the old rubber up to slide the grip body off your bars... But thats the part your gonna replace anyhow.
        Don
        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I wound up

I kept having to test fit so many times I used WD40 as fred suggested and washers in the end vice plastic spacers. If I get slippage I will use the glue, but today they feel solid.

They feel good tho I havent ridden with them yet. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the tips and writeup.

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

John, we need pics!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate look above!

Mine look the same. Black on black.

Short ride today. Thicker grip is easier to hold.

John

Comment

Here Nate

Here is a pic

John

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                  Mine look the same. Black on black.

Short ride today. Thicker grip is easier to hold.

John

+1 these are the right size

for Me there is a point where grips can be too thick. My buddies GL1100 has these monstrous foam things on it... TOO big even for my meat hooks and sausage fingers. he swears he likes em... good for him I say, I'd throw em away!
                  Don

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I installed the chrome version on Alberta in Feruary. LOVE them! So much less hand fatigue. I must say though, I wish I had bought black instead of chrome. Great looking and feeling grips.
                    1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

I have been looking at them forever and lately my hands have been killing me so I Finally bit the bullet!

Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

After riding with them a bit I must say that I love them! Hands feel WAY better!

Little hard go get to the start button with my right hand though with the throttle boss and the throttle lock getting in the way
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hey, guys.

I see in the photos that these grips have screws in the end. Does the end plate come off? I've got bar-end mounted barkbusters on for winter riding. I'm wondering if I'd be able to remove the end plate, or would I have to cut my new grips?

Thanks,
                          Brian
                          '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

The end does come off. Hole underneath is only about 1/2" though.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I have the chrome version on my bike. They survived the wreck of the first SH, so they moved over to this one. Mine came with the fist SH, and I think the PO bought them for 1" bars. The right one is fine as it goes in the throttle clamp, left one would slide off easily, so I wrapped a few rounds of electrical tape on the bar. It pushes on tight, never had a problem of it sliding or moving at all.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X