Harbor Freight Ultrasound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight Ultrasound

Well, about 1 month ago, I got a tank of bad gas that gummed up the carbs. Seafoam didn't help (much) and my hope that continued riding would eventually clean out the crap also failed. My first "attempt" at cleaning involved removing and disassembling the carbs and cleaning out the jets and passages with standard carb cleaner. I found some nasty, brown sugar looking stuff all over the emulsion tube and thought I got things cleaned up.

As you guessed, I was wrong! It was much better, but it still had a bad part throttle miss that just wouldn't go away. It would start to get better for a day or two and give me hope that things were FINALLY cleaning up, but then it would come back just as bad as ever.

So, I finally broke down and bought a the cheap ultrasonic cleaner at Harbor Freight and once more broke down the carbs and cleaned them for about 30 minutes each. While I can say the HF cleaner is not nearly as powerful as most other ultrasonic cleaners (as expected by the price and source), it did work for me. My bike FINALLY runs like it should with no missing or hesitation. I still need to balance the carbs and fine tune the idle needles, but that can weight until this weekened.
    -- Clint
    1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

I've got one, and I'll agree that it's not a powerful unit. But I do like it a lot for cleaning rubber parts (with a strong SimpleGreen mixture in it) like the carb slides/diaphrams and brake parts, and other rubber parts. Not a 'must have' tool, but very handy nonetheless...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I am waiting for the day when a dentist is closing up shop or upgrading his equipment! I am going to snag that ultrasonic cleaner!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Good Advice

I am having the same issue. Years ago I made sure I put inline filters in place from a post I read on this WONDERFUL site.
        I went four years without ever once having to rebuild those damn carbs. Three weeks ago when we had 80 degree weather here in PA, I took her out and made the mistake of inspecting the fuel filters; nothing but throttle issues the whole ride.
        No big deal as I figured four years of no issues!! I am in good shape and monety well spent.
        Anyhow, I replaced the exhaust this year, just last weekend, SHE SOUNDS LIKE A BEAST!!! I also powder coated the mount bolts for the exhaust in simulated chrome. Looks nice.
        I am now rebuilding all three calipers and I just got my stainless steel brake lines, my master rebuild kits, and new brake pads. I purchased a new set of handle bars and I am almost done powder coating all of the handle bar hardware as well as the masters and calipers.
        It's the little things that make me happy. Cannot wait to ride her this season all dressed and sounding like a nasty beotch. Ended up with MAC exhaust but considering the weight removal, the instant throttle response, and the decent sound, I think I will be happy.
        1980 XS G
        http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/1980G001.jpg

Comment

Great looking bike!
          Yamaha 80
          Suzuki TM 400
          Honda CB 400
          Yamaha XS650 chopper
          Honda 1800 VTX S
          Suzuki C-50 Bobber (wifes)
          HD Road King Classic
          Yamaha XS 1100