Dual Layer face shield to prevent fogging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Layer face shield to prevent fogging

Though this review is brand-specific, I think it's safe to say it applies to all brands that produce this type of product. A while back, struggling with my face shield fogging up (especially when it gets cold out), I got and reviewed the Respro Foggy Mask. It worked great, but did have the down-side of making you feel like a fighter pilot with an oxygen mask on inside the helmet. I also just noticed that the place I got it from no longer carries it. So, I went looking for a new solution.

I was actually looking for a way to add a tinted "Sunglasses" effect to my helmet without the need to carry an extra shield around all the time. Yes, many helmets come with internal flip-down sunglasses, but I like my helmet too much to toss it just for this feature. I have the G-Max GM68 helmet, with the integrated blinky LEDs in the back. I had already tried the auto-darkening shield (like Transitions sunglasses), but I was much less than impressed. So, I found the flip-tint shield kit that adds a small, external tinted shield to the outside of the clear shield. When it gets dark, you can just lift the tinted part out of the way and only have the clear shield! So far, I must say it works great for my morning commute into the sun, and flips up easily for my trip home in the evening. It's just as dark as a tinted shield, but does still allow full light to come in under the bottom edge. However, that does not seem to be an issue.

Now, I noticed that they had 2 different kits for my helmet, with different prices, but they looked identical. It turns out, one has the normal, single-layer clear shield that most helmets come with, but the other kit has a dual-layer clear shield. What this means is it sandwiches a pocket of air between 2 layers of plastic, creating an insulating effect. Usually marketed for snowmobile helmets, there are even heated versions for many helmets if you really have to deal with ice and snow. After a lot of online reading about the benefits of a dual-layer shield, I pulled the trigger and bought it for $44.99 shipped.

I installed the new shield kit as soon as it arrived. I left the Foggy Mask in my helmet for a few days, since I've gotten used to it, and never remembered to remove it until I already had the helmet on. Even with the Foggy Mask, I had been able to, if I was breathing hard, get my breath to seep around my face and fog the shield. I tested it, and no matter how much I huffed and puffed, I could not fog the new dual-layer shield! So today, I removed the Foggy Mask altogether, and ran the breathing test again. No fog! No matter how steamy my face felt, not a trace of fog appeared on the shield.

There is only one down side to the dual-layer setup that I can think of, and that is the small strip of foam tape that goes around the outer edge of the viewing window. It is a little distracting at first, but I really don't see it as a hindrance to visibility - especially compared to the fog it prevents. I have not ridden in the rain with it yet (what everyone says the dual-layer is great for), but I'm convinced that if you have a problem with your face shield fogging, a dual-layer shield is definitely the way to go.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

I had a heated one like that on my GMax, but didn't use the heat. The lens never fogged up. My Shoie i have now, fogged if my wife breathed. I put a fog city insert in it, and have been very happy with it. All it does is create that same air space between it, and the lens. It doesn't fog even at a stoplight with the lens closed, and 37 degrees out.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I typically don't have fogging issues here in sunny south FL, except seldomly when it's cold out at traffic lights.
      Yet, I wonder how effective the anti-fog chemical I used in diving masks would be on faceshields. Typically a bottle sells for about $10.00 and lasts a long time, at least a full season.
      Anybody have any experience with this?
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Back in the day, a little spit took care of the fogging diving mask. I'd venture to say that spit still works
        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

It still does DaVinci, I do it all the time when I go snorkelling.
          But I don't think I want to spit on my faceshield, you can't rinse it off right away......
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

The other thing with the spitting on the facemask for diving is your not breathing into it. So it might not work so well with your hot humid breath in there.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
            X