100% Synthetic 20W50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% Synthetic 20W50

hey all, FYI- i just finished my resto project XS1100SH Beast and as a finally, changed the oil/filter. i put in Mobil 1 specially formulated Air Cooled 20W50. says V-Twin on the label. the difference is nite and day in the trans. its silky smooth like never before. was kinda that normal XS11 clunkiness. i thought id share it with everyone. to me worth every penny at $9.00qt
    Ride On bros
    Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
    Kerker 4/1
    stock carbs and air box.
    78 headlite, handle bars,
    1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
    crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
    78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
    94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Good luck, I used that same oil, starter clutch went and clutch disk started slipping immediately!
    That oil has friction modifiers not good for our bikes. drained it and went with full syn. mobil 4t problems are starting to go away.
    Just my experience. Check my "Bad Oil" thread.
    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

This is better
      http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcv.aspx
      1981 xs1100 venturer... Finally runs
      Still has carb issues, but runs
      For all of your Amsoil needs go to www.mrguysoil.com

Comment

like i said, i have 10W40 Amsoil in my CBR1000F, and its great, but i had to find a distributor since u cant buy it retail in a store. the Mobil 1 i used is also formulated for air cooled motorcycles and was avail at auto parts stores, and was about the same price w/tax. didnt pay tax on Amsoil, but both ended up $10 qt. rediculous, but worth it after finding the trans smooth shifting. thanx for all replies. sometimes its a matter of choice. just wanted to share my experience.
        Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
        Kerker 4/1
        stock carbs and air box.
        78 headlite, handle bars,
        1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
        crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
        78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
        94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

I have to digress (regress?) and chime in on this thread... There is no 20w-50 motor oil to my knowledge that has friction modifiers, period.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

The amsoil is designed for wet clutches and air cooled motors
            http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcv.aspx
            1981 xs1100 venturer... Finally runs
            Still has carb issues, but runs
            For all of your Amsoil needs go to www.mrguysoil.com

Comment

Can someone explain how the oil in the crankcase can affect the clunkiness of the shifting? I'm thinking the clunk happens in the middle drive, where a different oil sump is the lube source for the gear interface. The wet clutch is not the clunk- maker, right?

Looking at the Mobil website, it says Mobil 1 for cars has friction modifiers.
              Their motorcycle racing and their v- twin synthetic oils do not have the friction modifiers.

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/..._Oil_FAQs.aspx

scoot

Comment

Originally posted by scoot View Post
                Can someone explain how the oil in the crankcase can affect the clunkiness of the shifting? I'm thinking the clunk happens in the middle drive, where a different oil sump is the lube source for the gear interface. The wet clutch is not the clunk- maker, right?

Looking at the Mobil website, it says Mobil 1 for cars has friction modifiers.
                Their motorcycle racing and their v- twin synthetic oils do not have the friction modifiers.

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/..._Oil_FAQs.aspx

scoot
                the clunckiness is in the transmission which is lubricated by the same oil as the engine. All the middle drive doea is change the orientation direction of the output shaft to line it up with the final drive.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I have used the Mobil 1 described in the first post. I had no trouble with it.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                    the clunckiness is in the transmission which is lubricated by the same oil as the engine. All the middle drive doea is change the orientation direction of the output shaft to line it up with the final drive.
                    Thanks, natemoen, that's clear.

Comment

Working...
                    X