Photochromatic helmet shield for the Gmax GM68

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photochromatic helmet shield for the Gmax GM68

I ride year-round, no matter the temps, as long as the roads aren't covered in ice. Unfortunately, this means that winter daylight tends to disappear before my commute home from work. I absolutely hate having to carry an extra face shield around, and changing it out just for my trip home, then changing it back for my trip back to work the next day. Not that changing the shield on my helmet is all that difficult, it's just annoying. Leaving the shield open just freezes my face, even behind my tall Windjammer. So, I decided to invest in a photochromatic face shield! This thing changes from clear to tinted when exposed to UV light. I purchased it from http://www.kneedraggers.com.

The photochromatic shield has a coating that was obviously liquid at the point of application. You can see some "dribbles" around the edges, and especially on the little finger lip. Mine has at least one dot of dust that got caught under the liquid, and I can see it from the outside when looking at it. However, when up against my face on the helmet, it's too close to see.

The inside of the shield has a permanent anti-fog coating that is impressive! I can't fog the shield by breating directly on it, while the same test fogs the stock shield instantly, to the point that I could not see through it.

At first, I wasn't impressed. It really seemed that the new shield did not get nearly as dark as my stock smoke shield, and I was worried about the potential need to wear sunglasses under it. For $80, I wasn't sure it was worth the price. A not-treated shield is only $20. After comparing the two shields, I'm liking it a little more, but I still think it's priced way too high.

This picture shows the stock smoke shield on the right, and the photochromatic shield on the left. I put them on this table in indirect sunlight, at 9ºF (yeah, it's cold today) for an hour to compare them. You can see that the uper area is not as dark as the bottom, but the bottom is as dark or darker than the stock smoke shield.

According to the mfg, the tinting ability fades over time, and is supposed to last for up to "24,000 miles of riding in sunlight". They say that is 4X the length of time for most other photochromatic shields. They tell you to clean the outside regularly (windex is fine for inside and out), but avoid getting the inside wet for prolonged periods, to reduce the risk of damaging the anti-fog coating.

One thing I think is rather strange is that they say the tinting will not go back to clear while it's cold outside (under 45ºF), so you have to warm it up a bit by going inside. Also, the tinting NEVER goes away 100%. However, the tinting that remains is really not enough to make a difference.

Here's a few more pictures I took for comparison:

Regular smoke shield:

Tint of Photochromatic shield:
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

It's like transition perscription glasses.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

shield

that is kool especially the antifog....are they expensive.....??
      windjammer gump
      bikes now own
      1981xs1100sh special
      1971 cb 350
      mini chopper project
      bikes use to own
      1978 750/four..
      1983kz1100 ltd

Comment

went to site

i have a cheap tractor supply full face i just bought ...and friends have different helments .....we like the shields but i couldnt pull them up even though i put in photcromatic shields.....
        windjammer gump
        bikes now own
        1981xs1100sh special
        1971 cb 350
        mini chopper project
        bikes use to own
        1978 750/four..
        1983kz1100 ltd

Comment

Originally posted by windjammergump View Post
          that is kool especially the antifog....are they expensive.....??
          I paid $80 for the shield. Plain shields are $20. The helmet is $121, and was rated as the Motorcyclist Magazine 2008 Helmet of the year.

i have a cheap tractor supply full face i just bought ...and friends have different helments .....we like the shields but i couldnt pull them up even though i put in photcromatic shields.....
          Tractor Supply helmets!?? That sounds scary! Not sure I understand what you mean that you "couldn't pull them up". Do you mean you can't lift the shield on the helmet so you're not looking through it? That's NOT a good thing! They should have a little tab so you can just lift up on it and flip it up when you need to. If you can't flip the shield up, you need to get a different helmet/shield.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

shields

NO i went to the website you listed and pulled up the 20.00 shields but couldnt locate the 80.00 shields on the website at all...tried and tried....
            windjammer gump
            bikes now own
            1981xs1100sh special
            1971 cb 350
            mini chopper project
            bikes use to own
            1978 750/four..
            1983kz1100 ltd

Comment

NO i went to the website you listed and pulled up the 20.00 shields but couldnt locate the 80.00 shields on the website at all...tried and tried....
              OOHH!! Sorry! I misunderstood your post... Here is a link to the actual page. There is a drop-down box, and you just choose " Shield - Photochromatic" from the list. Remember that these only fit on Gmax helmets.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
              X