Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satin black engine case paint

http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g385/jamesengland/

Hi Folks. This probably applies more to the European version of the XS1100 than the US ones but I thought I'd mention it.

Over here, the XS1100 engines were usually black (along with the square headlamp etc etc). This finish does eventually wear in places, depending on how well the bike has been looked after and whether it's been out in the snow (salt on roads here...).

About 20 years ago, on my third XS1100, I discovered a superb aerosol product called PJ1 Satin Black Case paint. This is a heatproof coating which can be applied to every part of the engine. This product touch dries in about an hour or so but cures over the next 24 hours. After that, the heat from the engine and time ticking by cures it even more. Once fully cured, the finish is just about identiical to the original factory finish. I've never known it come off. I've always warmed up the engine casing (or whatever) in the oven and warmed the product by putting the aerosol in warm water (not boiling). I usually give three or four coats with 10 minutes in between. The finish is excellent.

Now on my 4th XS1100, I was delighted to find this product is still made. I've used it on my engine casings, the alloy wheels (after masking off the relevant bits). I've done my handlebar mounts, brake cylinder and I even lightly sanded my old looking plastic headlamp case and gave it 4 coats. It sticks to plastic for good and does not come off.

The finish is silky smooth (feels like a non-stick pan) and I've never once known it flake off. It really is a superb product.

It costs approx $10 for a 500ml aerosol. Brilliant stuff......

I did just about all of this bike with PJ1
    Last edited by James England; 10-15-2010, 12:16 PM. Reason: add link to photo
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

thanx for the info,
    have you got any pics?
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

There's a link at the top of my posting...it should takeyou to Photobucket and there are pix of the bike, with close ups of the PJ1 treated components...
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
        thanx for the info,
        have you got any pics?
        I managed to figure out how to add pix to my postings, so here they are....

http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g385/jamesengland/

Comment

If you copy the image code, it will put the pic on your thread, instead of the link.
          1980 XS1100LG Midnight
          1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
          A quick death and an easy one.
          A pretty girl and an honest one.
          A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
            If you copy the image code, it will put the pic on your thread, instead of the link.
            What do you mean by "image code"? Could you tell me how to do it? THanks

Comment

if you put ur cursor on the pic
              4 things show up under the pic
              copy the ' img code' at the bottom then
              paste in your post

nice bike btw
              same model that was shipped over here.
              have you thought of painting the forks black?
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots
              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Yes, I did once have an XS1100 where I painted the fork stanchions too. Once again, the product never came off. On my present bike though, I'm putting it back to a standard appearance (apart from a few minor things like stainless bolts etc), so I've polished the forks and lacquered them. I have a 4 into 2 exhaust being made next month.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                  I have a 4 into 2 exhaust being made next month.
                  Suddenly, everybody's ears perked up...
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                    Yes, I did once have an XS1100 where I painted the fork stanchions too. Once again, the product never came off. On my present bike though, I'm putting it back to a standard appearance (apart from a few minor things like stainless bolts etc), so I've polished the forks and lacquered them. I have a 4 into 2 exhaust being made next month.
                    really how many?
                    costing?
                    where can we get a price!!!
                    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC00009.jpg
                    1980 XS1100 Std English Assembled, 378k miles
                    In stock untouched contion.
                    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/seatside.jpg
                    1979 XS1100F Std NZ new,
                    Mikes XS coils
                    Jardine 4-1
                    Pod filters
                    Harley Davidson Rear Fender
                    Bullet signal lights
                    Twin 75mm headlights
                    Self made single seat

Comment

Originally posted by subike View Post
                      really how many?
                      costing?
                      where can we get a price!!!
                      Aw shucks... you wouldn't really be interested would you?
                      It's just a li'l ole POLISHED STAINLESS STEEL 4 into 2 system with balancer pipe underneath out of the way of the centre stand and oil filter. With header pipes which are parallel down the front of the engine like they're supposed to be (not like the Jardine W look....). With the 'proper' bevelled ends on the silencers with single hole outlet. I've asked for as near as possible to the factory appearance. Apparently the silencers are about 32 inches long but I have some original publicity for the bike and the Yamaha drawings which he says he can copy.

Tell you what.... I'll get mine made on November 6. I'm leaving the bike there for up 5 days to give the maker time to do his stuff. Then I'll take photos and, if you like the results, I'll get you details. How's that?
                      I've already removed the old Marshal Deeptone system and sold it, so I'm hoping the guy does a good job!!! I've seen his other work and it's excellent.

Comment

Make sure to tell the guy to make VERY DETAILED drawings of the set he makes, because if what he makes is good quality, he might just have an international market for them. Will they be double-wall, like the OEM set?

There is a guy in Germany making a reproduction OEM set, but he wants a few limbs in payment.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                          Make sure to tell the guy to make VERY DETAILED drawings of the set he makes, because if what he makes is good quality, he might just have an international market for them. Will they be double-wall, like the OEM set?

There is a guy in Germany making a reproduction OEM set, but he wants a few limbs in payment.
                          I doubt they'll be double wall somehow, although I'll ask him. Yes, I've seen the s/s system in Germany. There are two people over there that make them actually and they differ slightly. Yes, they are tremendously expensive!

I'll be taking the bike down a week on Saturday and I'll ask him to record carefully his dimensions. Apparently, he is one of the few people with the equipment to make silencers of 30+ inches long. Ideally, I'd like someone out there who has an original system from an E to give me some dimensions such as length of silencer and the distance from the rear axle dent to the rear of the silencer.........

Comment

Working...
                          X