Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: Any experience with bolt-on sound systems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q: Any experience with bolt-on sound systems?

One of the things I considering buying for my bike is a set of bar mounted speakers with an iPod adapter. There's quite a few kits online that run from $100 up to $500. I was hoping to hear if some of you all have tried them or head feedback from others about them. Details about specific models/manufactures would be great.

I'm not looking for high fidelity sound, just a bit of a soundtrack that is just audible over the sound of the engine. The last thing I'd want to do is blare my music so loud that it drowns out anything I need to hear (horns, train whistles, sirens, etc.) or is an annoyance for those waiting next to me at the redlight. We've got enough bass-thumping jackasses around here, though blasting Jethro Tull might be welcome change to some folks...

Thanks!
    1979 XS1100 Special

You could install a fairing and add a cyclesounds system to it. I just installed a new CD-player in mine a couple weeks ago. 2 simple speakers, great for around-town stuff. Other than that, you'd probably be better off with a nice set of earphones or a bluetooth setup for your helmet.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

My bike already has a fairing, but the fairing doesn't have speakers. Up to this point I've avoided fairing like the plague, but this time around I'm actually digging them (my wife says it's cause I'm getting old). I know nothing about fairings- where speakers an option that my fairing didn't get? Can they be swapped into an existing fairing? I'd really prefer not to destroy/maim a 30+ year old fairing just to get some speakers on the bike. So please let me know.
      1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

What fairing do you have? Pictures? They all will take speakers. The Windjammers will accept a Cyclesounds unit, attached at the base of the windshield, and the Pacificos have circles molded into the fairing that are designed to be cut out for speakers.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Maybe I shouldn't have created the other thread? I was trying to keep this one about the bolt-on, handlebar mounted kits. Can you maybe check this thread out?

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30246
          1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Working...
          X