missed shifts and loud shifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missed shifts and loud shifts

This is just my opinion. When I first bought my bike, it would not shift properly. False netruals, missed shifts grinding gears, you name it - it did it. Switched to Bel-Ray oil for some time. Did see SOME improvement, but still had problems. Down side was 30 bucks for oil change. So, I switch to regular 20/50 weight car oil. seen some improvement but still had problems. Where I work we use a product called Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. Noticed a difference right away. Missed shifts and false nuetrals & gear grinding became almost non-existant. Changed the oil & used 20/50 weight motor oil with the Lucas oil stabilizer & had even better results. Now after 3 years & approximately 12,000 miles have had no tranny problems. Clutch doesn't seem to slip either. So in my opinion, this product DOES have it's benefits. I also use it in my middle gear drive & my final gear drive & has cut down on noise from BOTH dramatically. But once again, this is only my opinion & this my be only unique to MY situation. But I think that anyone who is having any similar problems might give this product a try & see what the results are for them. Will not fix any 1st or 2nd gear problems for sure. (First hand experience)

P.S.
    Was told, when I first bought my bike, that I would have to have tranny rebuilt. Have NOT had tranny rebuilt & have 14,000 miles on THIS bike since I purchased it.

"Live to Ride - Ride to Live"
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

Lucas Oil Treatment

I, too, use lucas at every oil change. The mechanics at work said it wouldn't hurt and may definitely help, due to age of machine. I work for a honda/yamaha dealer. Have been adding this at every oil change with good results:
    Higher oil pressure at hot temps.
    Less tranny noise.
    Better top end and timing chain lubrication.
    Appears to clean out oil passages as well.
    I Highly recommend Lucas Oil treatment and run it in all my vehicles, '95 GMC 1500, 96 Nissan Sentra, '95 Saturn and "RedBaron" The XS1100.
    Unless you are the lead sled dog the view never changes.

Comment

So, how much of Lucas do you add to your oil?
      Bill Murrin
      Nashville, TN
      1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
      1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
      2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
      2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
      1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
      2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Quantity of Lucas

In newer engines Lucas recommends 20% of capacity be filled with Lucas oil treatment, extending to a maximum additive amount of 60% depending on the age, condition, etc of the engine. This is a good solid additive without teflon, or similar solid additives to clog engine passages. Hope this helps.

Comment

Re: Quantity of Lucas

Originally posted by Redbaron
          In newer engines Lucas recommends 20% of capacity be filled with Lucas oil treatment, extending to a maximum additive amount of 60% depending on the age, condition, etc of the engine.

How much do you put in your XS1100?
          Robert
          79 SF

Comment

On full oil & filter change 3.5 qts., I use .75 qt. then fill with Castrol 20-50. Gets pretty warm here in Alabama. Have got about 10K on this setup,no clutch slip, etc. Bike has only 43K mi. but i was playing it safe with the heat, do a lot of superslab riding.
            Traffic is a lot slower, than i seem to remember and many more traffic signals. Alas, I ramble. HTH

Comment

lucas oil adittive

Hello everyone.
              I concure with the red baron. I use same amounts as he does. Oil pressure is very good,and cuts down on upper end noise. I use vavoline or castrol 20/50 racing oil . as earlier stated.i have owned my bike for 4 yrs and 14,000 miles.with no transmission troube to date. also no lubrication failures. Clutch works just fine no signs of slippage. But also works well in middle and final drives. The drives are measured in OZ so I use apprx 1/3 lucas to 2/3 gear oil.
              when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
              80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

i was wondering where i could get some of this lucas oil. my transmition doesn't sound like that but i would like to try to keep it from sounding like that.
                thanks,
                dan

Comment

Auto parts stores
                  Garry
                  '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                  outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

the local O'reilys has a lucus display on the counter and I keep playing with it... I have been wondering if it worked... this sounds to me like a Yes... I think I will have to add it in with the 20w-50 i normally run( gets damn hot here in south east TX)
                    Shawn
                    78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                    78 XS1100E Parts
                    www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

did an oil change yesterday with Penzoil 20-50 and added the Lucas at 25% just cuz I'm lazy and did not feel like trying to measure it out..
                      I did not go for a ride to mix it all up good. So this afternoon, i went to start it and the starter did not want to engage. That is the first time ever....so it finally started.. and went for a ride. After rideing about 10 miles.. re started the bike at several stores and it never missed a lick.seems to shift quieter.. but there was a few times that it was a little harder to down shift. The top end does seem quieter also... I will be putting more miles on it this week... It's such nice riding weather... 50-60"s in the morning and 70-80's in the afternoon.. Then I can see more how it is going to act.
                      Shawn
                      78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                      78 XS1100E Parts
                      www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Another thing to think about with hard shifting problems is clutch drag. The usual cause if warped clutch plates. Take the clutch apart and check the plates on a precision flat surface (a plate of glass makes an OK substitute.) The specs for warp should be listed the manual, use a feeler gauge that is half the thickness of spec and see if you can slide it under the plate at any point when it’s held down on the precision flat surface. If you can, you need to replace that plate.

It’s common to only replace the friction plates when doing a clutch job but more often than not, the steels are warped too.

I'm not knocking this aditive and I may try it myself but with as much problem as you were talking about, I'd dig into the clutch.

Geezer
                        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

lucas oil additive

Hello everyone.
                          My heart felt apoliges to those who are having problems with their rides. I personnaly have not experienced any starter or clutch problems since i have used this product. when I bought my bike it had 14k of abuse on it.previous p.o. didn't believe in any kind of maintenance. on my first ride was hard to shift. always loud clunk when shifting.false nuetrals missed shifts engine was noisey. when it was time to change oil my cycle shop said to use bel-ray 20w50.this helped with shifting.after 3 oil changes this was getting exspensive. 1gal oil 24.95 plus filter.where I work we use lucas in higher milage engines to help with engine noise. seemed to work pretty well.so i thought i would try it in my bike. I was taken back by the improvement of the shifting quality and how it quited down the engine.even on hot days engine and trans do very well. I didn't intend for my experience to be a fix all.this my be unique to my bike.I have put 10k trouble free miles on my bike with no clutch,engine or trans related failures.no starter problems either. this was a bike I was told by 3 different mechanics would need major work to be reliable.that was 14k ago. once again I'm sorry to those of you who are having problems.

P.S. I almost sold this bike because of what I was told.I'm glad I stuck with it. I love my bike.

ride to live -live to ride

graybird78
                          80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

is this Lucas additive available in Canada? If not....can anyone suggest a suitable alternative???

Comment

Yup

Canadian tire if they dont have it try car quest or some other automotive parts store.....MITCH
                              Doug Mitchell
                              82 XJ1100 sold
                              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Working...
                              X