partsn more bolt kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• partsn more bolt kit

A few months ago I ordered 2 parts n more bolt kits. 7 bucks a pop. These are for the side cover but you can use them in other areas... any who a couple of months of riding and now the tops are all rusted. I'll post pics in a min...
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

That sucks! Shoulda gotten the SS ones! I had a similar issue with some that I got at Home Depot last year. Some of them rusted, and some didn't. I now keep a stash in my toolbox for swapping out the rusty ones. Unfortunately, I can't use the SS ones on the MNS...
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

" She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
      8mm msd wires
      tkat fork brace...
      Fox shocks...
      mikes650 front fender
      led's gallore...
      renthal bars
      gold valve emulators
      vmax tensioner
      Rifle fairing

Comment

79 xs11 standard
        8mm msd wires
        tkat fork brace...
        Fox shocks...
        mikes650 front fender
        led's gallore...
        renthal bars
        gold valve emulators
        vmax tensioner
        Rifle fairing

Comment

That's so "Heche"...

OUCH!!!

Not just cause of the price mark-up.

Rust/oxidization is something I'd expect to happen but definitely not that much or that fast. Especially in the area where the allen wrench/bit needs to get a good bite. (Rusted metal expands to 10 times the size of non-rusted metal...).

That rust is a tell-tale for how the metal was refined/heated/formed/treated. Maybe/maybe not the temper and hardness isn't within spec either. A little too far outside the quality range that I'd expect to get for that price too.

Good thing they were installed where you saw what was happening. Coulda been used to hold your oil pan on. Imagine the "surprise factor" there...

And NAFTA was s'posed to be the best thing since sliced bread....

Comment

I gave up on those cheap chrome bolts. I just paint the factory ones and heat cure in an old toaster oven. Clean 'em real well first.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Of course, you could go another way and install screw covers and have the nicest-looking XS on the block.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

I bought a sack of stainless socket bolts from McMaster-Carr just recently. They have everything in any material you want. Prices are reasonable and shipping was reasonable as well as almost instant.

If someone cared to go through the tedious task of learning the size of every visible bolt on the engine, we could put a few nice stainless kits together. I bought a kit like that for my XS650 from somebody on the email list.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Lets take apart someones motor next weekend instead of riding...

79 xs11 standard
                  8mm msd wires
                  tkat fork brace...
                  Fox shocks...
                  mikes650 front fender
                  led's gallore...
                  renthal bars
                  gold valve emulators
                  vmax tensioner
                  Rifle fairing

Comment

I got a SS kit from a US supplier when I did my custom, exactly the right amount of hex bolts to do the whole mtr at a price I thought was really good. I cant find the link now, but the bolts have been on the bike 2 years now and look as good as the day I first fitted them. I know that it was a hole heap cheaper than buying each size seperatly from the local bolt supply depot. The place supplied kits for many different makes and models of bikes so spending a weekend counting and measuring is not needed.
                    I also dicovered that the crome dome bolts from the MAZDA 2.0 liter DOHC rocker cover were a perfect match for the XS rocker cover, all that was need to do was remove the small point offf of the end of each bolt. 24 dome tops on the rocker cover look sweet
                    Last edited by subike; 09-16-2010, 12:45 AM.
                    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC00009.jpg
                    1980 XS1100 Std English Assembled, 378k miles
                    In stock untouched contion.
                    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/seatside.jpg
                    1979 XS1100F Std NZ new,
                    Mikes XS coils
                    Jardine 4-1
                    Pod filters
                    Harley Davidson Rear Fender
                    Bullet signal lights
                    Twin 75mm headlights
                    Self made single seat

Comment

I could be mis-remembering, but I'm pretty sure you can get some low intensity galvanic corrosion between aluminum and stainless, so you should be sure to use either lock-tite or anti-seize when you install stainless bolts into your cases. It's not a really severe reaction that you should expect, but it would suck if all the pretty stainless heads snapped off next time you try to remove your clutch cover or something.
                      '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Stainless bolts

Were these what you were looking for?

subikehttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-XS1100-XJ1100-XS-XJ-1100-11-ELEVEN-Stainless-kit-/370436377259?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash =item563fba8aab

304 stainless is less susceptible to corrosion than the 400 series. I think 410 is a common type and you will find it in cheaper "Pool supplies". Usually what you find in "rusty" Stainless. Going back to the pool daze.
                        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
                        X