Dupli-Color and PlastiKote engine enamel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dupli-Color and PlastiKote engine enamel

Well I'm a little bummed out. With my restoration complete except for a few small details, I've taken her out for a couple ten mile rides and sadly noticed that my engine; the case halves specifically, have begun to discolor from the heat. In the picture, notice the color of the middle gear. Then look at the color of the case, just below the cylinders. They were both painted with the same products but obviously see different operating temperatures.

To prep for paint, I pressure blasted the case halves with glass bead which yielded a beautiful raw but smooth finish. Then they were pressure washed with de-greaser and water at 180 degrees. Once dry I primed the cases with PlastiKote 228 grey engine primer. Followed by Dupli-Color DE 1615 Aluminum, followed by Dupli-Color DE 1636 clear. All of these products are 500 degree engine enamels.

I suspect my problem is the DE 1636 Clear. I only say that because the cylinders are painted with PlastiKote 207 Aluminum with no clear coat and they look great and no signs of dis-coloring. Who knows, I just hope it stops and doesn't continue more dis-coloration. I haven't even had it out in hot temperatures yet. I won't be doing anything to correct it for a while. Looking back I should have baked the cases in the oven to see if the color would hold and maybe I would have made this discovery at that point... Would have been much easier to correct. Restorations are a big learning process aren't they!

'78 XS1100E
    '83 XVZ12

That sucks... Why did you paint the engine anyway, if you were going for shiny aluminum? Wouldn't it have been better to strip it down and polish the aluminum?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      That sucks... Why did you paint the engine anyway, if you were going for shiny aluminum? Wouldn't it have been better to strip it down and polish the aluminum?
      I was going for a restoration to as close to factory spec as possible. I found that the Dupli-Color "Aluminum" color was a very close match to the original color of the case halves. Under the timing cover is where I tried to match up my paint because under that cover, the paint has never seen sun and was in perfect condition. The Dupli-Color was a really really close match. It does suck. Oh well, winters last 5-6 months.... If I really wanted to re-paint..... I'm thinking probably next winter.
      '78 XS1100E
      '83 XVZ12

Comment

I guess what I'm getting at is that the OEM "color" is bare aluminum. There is no color added to the engine on any of the XS's except the MNS. They DID have a clear coat, but even the OEM clear coat had some yellowing over time. Lots of folks stripped it off and just polished the cases.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          I guess what I'm getting at is that the OEM "color" is bare aluminum. There is no color added to the engine on any of the XS's except the MNS. They DID have a clear coat, but even the OEM clear coat had some yellowing over time. Lots of folks stripped it off and just polished the cases.
          Thats interesting.... On mine, I stripped off a grey/silver paint from the case halves using aircraft paint remover. I'm pretty sure it was a factory finish cuz I know my father-in-law never painted it and he was the original owner. Oh well. I' like the sounds of just clear coating bare aluminum and I guess I'll just ride it and hopefully the worst of the yellowing is over!

Thanks
          '78 XS1100E
          '83 XVZ12

Comment

Yellow or not that is still a beautiful engine! Hopefully I can get mine even half as clean this winter.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

All of the engines I have seen, the case halves are painted, I believe from the factory. It is a dull aluminum color. I believe the cylinders are also painted.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

I got to see this exact same effect on another member's bike, and I really like the look of it. If I were you, I wouldn't rush into re-painting... wait and see if it grows on you first.

That's a fantastic looking engine, by the way. Sorry your paint job didn't turn out the way you expected.
                '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

that is a beautiful looking engine,
                  give it some time and see how it looks.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I agree it looks amazing.
                    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                    8mm msd wires
                    tkat fork brace...
                    Fox shocks...
                    mikes650 front fender
                    led's gallore...
                    renthal bars
                    gold valve emulators
                    vmax tensioner
                    Rifle fairing

Comment

Working...
                    X